First birthday ideas? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-04-2009, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Hi,
We are having a get together with friends and family to celebrate Mirah's first birthday. We have requested no presents, because we really want it to be about being together and celebrating rather than opening lots of stuff, and many of our friends are broke right now--(grandparents etc. are allowed to give her presents, just not as part of the party). I am wondering about some kind of all together ritual we could do (other than the song and the cake, of course)...like maybe a blessing (non-denominational, non-christian) or some other activity...any ideas??

Aimee, mom to Mirah b. 08/09/08
and my angel, Nico, , lost to us at 19 weeks gestation, 12/27/12
Longing for our rainbow
#2 of 6 Old 08-04-2009, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was at a first birthday party with a lovely blessing ceremony that is similar to what you are talking about, I think. They had a printout so everyone could read along and it basically stated a bit about the birth, her growth, and how much she meant to her parents (there were also some spiritual lines in there) and their hopes for her future happiness. I would say maybe ask for wishes, comments and stuff in the birthday party invitation and compile the loving comments of all of the important people in DC's life.

Cheryl, loving wife to a wonderfully goofy mannut.gif, mama to Jonah and Remifencing.gif, just trying to get out of this with my sanity and a decent looking hairdo
#3 of 6 Old 08-04-2009, 03:26 PM
Banned

ours is just family. i told my sister and SIL that they are welcome to not do gifts; my ILs and my parents i asked for specific things; and i'm making the cake.

simple and that's it.
#4 of 6 Old 08-04-2009, 05:54 PM

we had a picture of our son framed inside a large mat that everyone signed and wrote well wishes on for the birthday boy.

wife to wonderful dh_malesling.GIF mama of three-DS1 born December 30, 2005 and DS2 born September 27, 2008 and one lovely little girl born September 7, 2011jumpers.gif

#5 of 6 Old 11-08-2012, 09:50 PM
Banned

Have a simple tea party.

#6 of 6 Old 11-09-2012, 12:41 AM

We did baby friendly food (hummus and guacamole were both huge hits) and really just visited while the babies played. We had a low sugar cake and baked appetizers. I did little loot bags for the LOs and gave them out early so they could play/share/trade. If you can swing it, a few helium balloons are excellent for little hands to mess with and bop around. It was very informal but so much fun. I'm looking forward to planning the second one in March.

ETA: I just realized this is an old thread.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page