Would this worry you? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 08-13-2009, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH and I are worried about this, but we don't know if this warrants a doctor visit b/c we're not sure what DD's ped could do. DD is 10 months old and says no words. You could argue that she says ma, but she only does it when she's really upset and then she'll scream ah-ma, but I'm not really convinced she associates it with me. She doesn't wave, doesn't understand no, and can't follow simple directions (ie open your mouth, hug mommy). I don't know if this is in the realm of normal or if we should be concerned.

obstruct livery vehicles

#2 of 16 Old 08-13-2009, 01:18 PM

most of my dc didn't do much of those things either at that age- I wouldn't be concerned till after a year or more.I personally would say the realm of normal.

The only thing I would ask is does she seem to hear? does she startle to noises or look in your direction when you call her name ? If not then maybe I'd call the dr. and see what s/he thought. Did she do ok at her 9 mnth appt? Or were they concerns then too?

if everything else was ok I'd just say she's waiting to surprise you w/speaking in full sentences and maybe hasn't learned the meaning of no yet!
#3 of 16 Old 08-13-2009, 01:22 PM

Honestly she sounds pretty normal to me.

:
#4 of 16 Old 08-13-2009, 01:26 PM

That's completely normal for her age.

Diane, SAHM to DD (June 05) and DS (April 07).
::::
#5 of 16 Old 08-13-2009, 01:30 PM

I wouldn't stress over it. 10 months is still very young. My 19 mo old has only started following simple directions in the last few months.
#6 of 16 Old 08-13-2009, 01:39 PM

Yikes! My ds isn't doing any of that either. He is 10 mos.

I have boys! My first baby boy was born 10/08 and my second baby boy was born 7/12

#7 of 16 Old 08-13-2009, 01:45 PM

Do you get eye contact? Does she smile, laugh, get excited?

My toddler only ever said dada or papa until he was about 18 months, and now things are SLOWLY starting to trickle out.
#8 of 16 Old 08-13-2009, 01:54 PM

My DS is 14 mos and says no words, and does not follow commands (he may understand, but chooses not to follow - who knows!) I am not worried in the slightest. 10 mos is little! Relax and enjoy your baby.

ETA - understanding 'no'?! Most two year olds don't have that! No is actually a very tricky concept to understand. What does it actually mean? It could mean 'no- don't do that', or 'no-I don't agree with you', etc.

Lindsay, mama to Owen (06.08) and Sadie (05.11) wool.gifpartner to the amazing J. 
#9 of 16 Old 08-13-2009, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie64g View Post
Do you get eye contact? Does she smile, laugh, get excited?
Yes to all this. I feel much better now.

obstruct livery vehicles

#10 of 16 Old 08-13-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal_R View Post
Yes to all this. I feel much better now.
Just a thought, have you tried different ways of doing by by? My toddler never did the little hand wave, still doesnt. He likes to do it with his whole arm and half his body. It was close enough to what babies already do with their arms when they get excited, that it must have just come easy to him. And its darn cute too!
#11 of 16 Old 08-13-2009, 04:09 PM

DS said his first word at 14 months and then did not say anything else until about 19 months. Now, at 23 months, he talks a lot and is learning (and retaining) new words every day. He also did not start waving until he was about 20 months old. Every child progresses at their own pace - especially when it comes to talking. I tend to think that as long as they are interacting, understanding you, and otherwise developing normally there is nothing to worry about. Speech comes at such varied times. My friend's DD started talking at 9 months old!! It's an adventure, for sure!

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#12 of 16 Old 08-13-2009, 04:22 PM

#13 of 16 Old 08-13-2009, 04:25 PM

My LO is 10 months this weekend, and doesn't really do any of that either. She says mama and baba, but not to us, and doesn't wave. She understands her name and a few short things like jump and dance, but definitely not 'open your mouth'.... I wouldn't worry about it at all!

Wife to great guy and mama to 2 beautiful girls S Oct 15, 2008 and Z March 22, 2011
#14 of 16 Old 08-13-2009, 06:42 PM

If any of mine spoke at 10 months, I would've been freaked out. They NEVER had words that early.

At 19 months, my daughter is just starting her language explosion. Before about 16 months, nada. Mama and dada, and "iwandat" (mama milk).

Yup, babe's normal. Reason #472 to throw out milestone charts.

SANDRA, 41 year old VERY laid-back mama to VERY free range kids Brett (16), Justus (11), Autumn (4), and Ayla (1)... four perfect NCB's! :::
#15 of 16 Old 08-14-2009, 07:26 AM

I agree that it's nothing to worry about. Kids vary widely with regard to language development, and 10 months is really young...

Our oldest developed very quickly with regard to communication. We got gestures around 7 months, and although I refused to give her credit at the time, we were definitely getting words between 8 and 9 months. The first time I was sure she understood something we said she was 5 months old.

Our second DD was an entirely unremarkable baby, and then her language exploded out of the blue around 14 months. We had nothing before a year, and complete sentences by 17 months. At 2 years she tested well beyond age 3 for language development, and by 3 years she was reading. But again, we saw nothing at all before 12 or 13 months.

DS is 15 months and only has about a half a dozen words. He was slightly later than a year with gestures. He's very expressive, and communicates well even though he would have scored behind on a developmental assessment for language at 12 months, and he'd barely get a normal right now.

And I know plenty of kids who didn't say anything until they were 2 and you can't tell at all now that they're 5 or 7.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
#16 of 16 Old 08-14-2009, 06:58 PM

I agree with the above. It's nothing to worry about as long as she's active and alert.

My DH didn't talk until age two when he walked into the kitchen and asked MIL "Mom what for dinner." LOL She said she almost had a stroke.

I can see why you're worried though. It seems like today people can get alarmist about milestone charts. My DS (7 months) is vocal but not "mamama" "bababa" vocal. I try not to worry about it. I figure, kids talk when they have something to say.

Me, DH, and 2 babyboy.gif.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page