Mystery Sweaty Sweaty Baby Head - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 08-16-2009, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi mamas,

I noticed lately that whenever my son nurses, his head literally gets wet from how much it sweats. It soaks the sheet beneath him. Granted, it is hot as heck outside, but this is happening in an air-conditioned room. Does anyone's LO sweat from the scalp while nursing?

Artista , Writer:, Thinker , Yogi Guru and Mama to my small, but quite amazing family!
#2 of 14 Old 08-16-2009, 07:28 PM

Is it every nursing? Or when nursing to sleep? (Not that it really matters, I guess.)

DS would sweat like a racehorse as he was falling asleep. He still does this a lot of the time, at 4.5 yrs old and having weaned a year ago.

DD sweats every time she nurses, no matter what the temperature.

I half figure it is normal and half figure my kids are freaks.

SAHPilot Mama to a 5yoson, a 17 mo old daughter, and wife to .
Worried about your baby's head shape? PM me for craniosynostosis info!
#3 of 14 Old 08-16-2009, 07:38 PM

My son is 2 and his head still sweats like crazy when he's nursing or sleeping.

Live and love with your whole being.
#4 of 14 Old 08-16-2009, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Yes. I think all of my babies have done this.
#5 of 14 Old 08-16-2009, 07:43 PM

I've had 4 kids and they all got that sweaty every nursing- or most. My last DS is sweaty from head to toe some times.

Married to Michael and Mother of Jake 9, Jillianne 7, Jensen 5, Jacen 4. I've got severe osteoporosis, a fractured hip and chronic pain-so please be patient with me! Pagan,Crocheter,Reader,Homeschooler- that's me in a nutshell.

#6 of 14 Old 08-16-2009, 07:57 PM

Mine does it every time he's going to sleep, and any time he's playing, etc. etc. He's a sweaty kid.

Mama to a wild thing (10/08) and a new thing (8/5/10) and wife to the love of my
Typos+weird words=typing on my iPhone
#7 of 14 Old 08-16-2009, 10:22 PM

Yeah, mine gets sweaty head when nursing to sleep, but it's the only time. I used to think he was just too hot and take his sleeper off, but then he'd get too cold (A/C on), so I'd end up putting it back on. I guess it's common!

SAHM to DS Jan09, DD Mar11. lactivist.gifintactivist.giffamilybed2.gifhomebirth.jpguc.jpgwinner.jpggd.gifcaffix.gif

#8 of 14 Old 08-16-2009, 10:32 PM

Babies have big head and a lot of heat dissipates from the head. This is why you want hats on your newborns to help minimize heat loss. When babies are hot from exertion (like sucking on boob), the head gets hot to help them cool off. My DD's head gets hot wih nursing, too. But the thing I don't understand is why the head gets hot when DD falls asleep (not from nursing) when she is nice and relaxed. I've also noticed DD's hands and feet get warm when she gets sleepy. Maybe something to do with circulation being relaxed?

enjoying motherhood way more than science:
married to DH love.gif (2003) mama to DDenergy.gif(Nov 2008) & DSbabyf.gif   (Mar 2011)

#9 of 14 Old 08-16-2009, 10:47 PM

another head-sweat baby here too. In fact, that's one way I can tell that she's going to go down for a longer sleep. Short sleeps, there's no sweat.
#10 of 14 Old 08-16-2009, 11:22 PM

My oldest was like that and still is a sweaty kid. Sweat would literly bead on his head. My mother said I did the same thing. DS4 is not quite as bad but does some.

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#11 of 14 Old 08-17-2009, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmmmm....I guess babies are just little sweat factories. How mysterious indeed...It makes me feel lots better that mine is not the only one. And yes, it is mostly when nursing to sleep. It was just freaking me out because I never noticed it before. But the large head area explanation by the Phd PP makes a ton of sense. Thanks everyone!

Artista , Writer:, Thinker , Yogi Guru and Mama to my small, but quite amazing family!
#12 of 14 Old 08-17-2009, 05:28 PM

DD was a very sweaty baby. She'd sweat from her head when nursing or sleeping... and she had the sweatiest little hands and feet, too! We had to get rid of every piece of clothing containing fleece (yes, even in the winter) because she'd start sweating every time!

Now, at 2 YO she still sweats a lot in bed. I think some kids are just sweaty.

SAHM to DD (6/07) and DS (10/09); happily married to DH since 2/04 .
#13 of 14 Old 08-19-2009, 02:05 AM

ya, my kiddo's a sweater too. He goes to bed in a dipe and tshirt, that's it. Anything more than that and the sheets get soaked, and I don't like laying in the damp spots, which always seems to happen somehow!

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
#14 of 14 Old 08-19-2009, 11:54 AM

My DD is almost always super sweaty when she's done eating. I'll have to pay attention to see if it's different at different times of day. BFing must be hard work for them!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page