Do you have a nickname for your babe that has nothing to do with their given name? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-06-2009, 08:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD1 is Pea. She started out as Sweet Pea, which is what the hospital LC called all the girl babies she was working with. We liked it, and it stuck, but it gradually got shortened to just Pea. She's five now, so we only call her that at home.

DS is Bear, or Baby Bear. It's because of his colic-- he was such an unhappy baby, and making light of it by saying, "oh, the bear's growling again," really helped us through it. Sometimes now he's Buppy Bear, too-- Buppy is his word for "blankie." He's very attached to his. (He's 2 1/2 now.)

DD2 is Jenny Wren. (No, her name is Rachel, now Jenny.) She was the bottom twin, and very small, five pounds at birth, and had these tiny, fragile-seeming bones. DH could hold her in one hand. I said she was like a little bird, with those tiny light bones that birds have, so Jenny Wren it was. Sometimes I call her Lady Jane, too, because lately she's gotten into this snooty attitude phase and it's cute to watch her think she's all dignified and grow-up and try to boss us. (She's 2 1/2 now.)

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thyra View Post
lol. My little brother is Randal Lee, and we never called him Randal b/c thats my dad's name too. He goes by Lee even now (at 22). My mom says that he came home from his first day of Kindergarten and said, "Mom, did you know my name is Randal?"
My 3rd brother's name is Randall Lee! How cool. (He has always gone by Randy.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetMC View Post
Our first DD was Pete. Second DD was Repeat. We actually called second DD Repeat for the first two months until we named her.

We call DS "the baby" instead of his name. It's actually a miracle that he even recognizes his name.
My x-DH tells the story of how his parents couldn't decide on a name for him when he was born, so they just called him "Bay." Apparently this was short for "Baby" although I have never heard of anyone else shortening such an already short word! They ended up just going with a Jr. name after a month or so of being hounded by the people from the county insisting they needed to officially name him. They still occasionally call him Bay though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowansmama View Post
My daughter has been called Ladybug since she was about 2 weeks old. I don't know where it came from. But when we're talking about her, it's always "The Bug" and not her name. As in "guess what the Bug did today?" And often when we speak to her, we call her "Buggy," "Buggy Lou," or simply "Lou." Her name is really Rowan, btw
My nephew's nickname was Bug when he was a baby, too. This was because he used to crawl with his feet, not his knees, so his butt stuck up in the air. His mom said he looked like a waterbug, and called him Bug for years. (Of course, he's grown with two kids of his own now, so...)

)O(   Far-away Mama to: Pooka (16)...Alex (14)...Mickie-Lamb (13)...Solo Mama to: Punkin' Seed (8)...Tootsie Pop (6)...Lil' Man (3) and a yikes2.gif due February 2012

~~~~ribbonpurple.gifDV Survivor/Fibroribbonpurple.gif~~~~ 

4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32**heartbeat.gif36***40

Old 10-07-2009, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smerkin View Post
Liberty "Libby" is called Scrunchy a lot because when she was tiny she would scrunch up into a little ball so I started calling her my Scrunch or Scrunchums. I also call her my little Creature or Urchin and my sister calls her my Suckling Child. So fun. I'm thinking that Scrunch will stick for a while. My DH calls her Libbers, Libertas, the Libster, Wibby, and Wibbington. We nickname a lot.
Cute thread!

You have a Liberty!!!! My youngest dd's middle name is after my sister (who is Liberty)

My youngest is Smidge

She is just a tiny little thing (she is 6) She answers to "Smidge" too.

My brother was Goochie when he was a baby. It was because we would say "goochie goochie goo" to him to make him smile.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:10 PM

We call our baby Magic Pudding. It's shortened now to Pud, Puddin' or Puddy. Her name is Charlotte. To know why you have to know the Australian children's classic book The Magic Pudding. If you do and can recall the illustration of the magic pudding's face when he was mad, that's exactly what she looked like when she was a newborn and crying hard. Exactly.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:13 PM

Benjamin's nickname is Mt Vesuvius. He spits up amazing amounts.

I also call him the Pie Baby, or just Pie. I started calling him my little bit of Benny Pie when he was just a few hours old and it stuck.
Old 10-11-2009, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thyra View Post
lol. My little brother is Randal Lee, and we never called him Randal b/c thats my dad's name too. He goes by Lee even now (at 22). My mom says that he came home from his first day of Kindergarten and said, "Mom, did you know my name is Randal?"
This totally cracked me up

dd1 was 'Pie-Shop' or 'The Shop' since about 8 days old. She now insists that we don't call her that, or her real name (Talia). Instead she likes to be called 'Kat Benetar' or 'Luca', but she will answer to 'Bug' or 'Carpet'

dd2 is a very high needs child. Many of her nicknames revolve around the words 'monster' or 'trouble' (Monstrina, Monsty, Monsterling, Big T, Tribble, Tribs, Trib-Trubs, Tribulator). She's also very diminutive (Smaller, Smalls, Littles, Lits). Also, for no real reason- Ting, Ting-Tings, Ting-a-Ling-a, Ting-el. Quite often, I just call her 'Girl'. Her name is Lilith.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:07 AM

"boo"
as in babyboo, Linaboo

Because it was one of the first speaking-type sounds she made.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessielove View Post
Benjamin's nickname is Mt Vesuvius. He spits up amazing amounts.
If it's happening regularly, like every feeding, have you ruled out a dairy allergy? Only mention this because a friend of mine *just* got her ds to stop spitting up at 15 months old.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
If it's happening regularly, like every feeding, have you ruled out a dairy allergy? Only mention this because a friend of mine *just* got her ds to stop spitting up at 15 months old.
He was dx'ed with reflux at 2 weeks, but since he has consistently gained weight very well we refused medication. It's interesting that you should suggest an allergy, because we just started an elimination diet. I suspect dairy or eggs may be an issue. Cutting them totally out of my diet is hard, but if it works it will be worth it to not have the both of us smell like spit up all of the time!
Old 10-12-2009, 03:52 PM

My 4 month old is nicknamed Marshmellow. She's so chubby and cute and fluffy, so my oldest nicknamed her that!

: Mom to a wonderful teen girl, a happy little boy and a cute baby girl
Old 10-12-2009, 04:32 PM

Bethan is so lovely and chubby we call her 'porridge' or 'pudding' or sometimes she's our 'jam roly poly pudding princess' when she's trying to escape from me she gets called a little rascal!
Old 10-12-2009, 05:10 PM

Our 6 month old is often Roo, shortened from Aroo, which was a sound he used to make. So it's Roo, Little Roo, Little Aroo, Sam-Roo, Cutie-Roo, Baby Roo, etc.

We also call him Samuelito. When we used to swaddle him we'd call him Samuelito-Burrito.

Other names from his dad include Gremloid, Little Mr. Grippy Toes, and most recently Buhla-Boola (I have no idea why).

His real name is Samuel, which we often shorten to Sam.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:19 PM

DD is our Mini Muffin Seal Pup. We gave her that nickname before her birth and every night DH and I say, "Sweet dreams, Mini Muffin Seal Pup. We love you!"
I also sometimes shorten it to Pup, or call her my Lovey Lumpkins. Those are the most common nicknames she goes by, but there are many more.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:22 PM

we call the baby "skeepers" or "skeeps" from "peeper-skeepers" (she pees a lot, well, I mean, what baby doesn't?)
also chubby-lubs, and farty-mcfartsalot (DH, though really she doesn't fart that much)
her name is Phoebe so we also make up funny names like Phoebs, Phoebers, (how to spell those?)

we call big brother "skeens" or "skeensers" from "oskeens" which we made up off his given name, "Oscar", so does that count as from his given name? Also call him "the teence" (like from teensy-tiny)

Its hard to think how to spell these, they are strictly verbal!

I often call them keens and Skeeps. Or Teence and teensiest. If I'm talking to both of them together.

dissertating mom to three

Old 10-12-2009, 06:18 PM

The one we use most is "donuts".
As he was learning how to say his name, it would come out as "donuts" rather than Jonas. It has really stuck and apparently I call him "donuts" far more often than I realize.

- Jen, Mama to DS1 (02.04.05) and DS2 (02.11.10) & baby #3 due in early January 2013

User Tag List