best car seat for subaru outback wagon - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-03-2004, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
after buying a britax marathon seat, i have discovered it does not fit rear facing in the center of our 1999 subaru outback wagon. i'd really like a great convertible seat that can go in the middle of the back seat. what car seat do you use and love?? thanks for the suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2004, 12:33 AM

I have heard from more than a couple of people that they were not able to get good installs rear facing in the center seat of this car with Britax convertibles but were able to get a good outboard fit. Would an outboard seating position be an option for you. IMNSHO, I would take an outboard position with the seat you have now vs. a center position with any other seat. Anyway, if you really want a different seat I would check here for seats that people have been able to get installed correctly in their Subarus:

http://www.carseatdata.org/selectseat.asp

If you need a tech to help show you how to get a good install and maybe a few tips you can look here for one in your area:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/nhtsa/whati...fm?fitting=yes
Old 02-03-2004, 11:30 AM

In defense of my viewpoint, I recommended the Britax seat not because of the rear facing weight limit, which is 2 lbs lighter than a few other seats on the market, but for ease of installation, ease of us, the higher upper wight limit which is highest of any convertible seat on the US market and the highest upper harness slots of any convertible seat on the US market. I also really love the build in lockoffs for using this seat in a vehicle that would normally require a locking clip. I never said Britax seats were the "best" but the features that these seats offer makes it dramatically easier for parents to install and use the seat cirrectly each time, making their child significantly safer.

If the OP had multiples, an older child or had no middle seating position it would be entirely necessary to use an outboard position.

http://www.carseat.org/Resources/FAQs.htm#position
http://www.carseat.org/Technical/tec...te.htm#seatpos
Old 02-03-2004, 02:22 PM

Quote:
The idea is you can keep it rear-facing until the child is 3 or so which is supposed to be safer--but honestly, most people turn the child forward-facing a lot sooner because there's no room for their legs rear-facing.
Well I have my 21 month old daughter rear facing still and she is 35.5" tall. So her legs do cross but I do believe it is far safer than forward facing. In Sweden they have their kids rear facing til they are 4 and it's just coincidence I spose that in Sweden car accidents are not the #1 killer of children.
Anyhow I have dd in a marathon outboard because I also have a sister that lives with us and though I have 3 LATCH spots in my back seat she isn't think so she can't fit next to the marathon if it is in the middle position. I believe outboard is preferable to purchasing another seat with lower weight limits. Isn't that kind of downgrading? Our marathon fits in all positions of our 2003 Saturn Ion which imo is a smaller car. If your baby is older than 6 months the recline for rear facing doesn't HAVE to be 45 degrees. So what I do for dd is keep the seat in recline but take away the pool noodles that helped with angle. Shes at about a 30 degree angle now. That allows us to not have to keep the passenger seat all the way forward. It is a tall seat thats for sure but thats a great thing in the long run.
I had a Triumph for dd and she probably would've outgrown it at 2 or 2 1/2 years height wise. The Triumph is a good seat. The memory harness is hard to get used to at first. I had to send 2 of them back because the harness system became messed up internally and one side would tighten more than the other side causing dd pain. I had 3 of those seats in a years time and had to send 2 back and their manufacture dates were months apart so hopefully that is a problem they have fixed. Also the Triumph isn't nearly as padded as the marathon and it also only has the EPS foam on the sides whereas the marathon has it on the sides and along the back of the seat.
I'll bookmark this thread and check back in I need to get started on laundry.
Old 02-04-2004, 02:05 AM
bec

I have a 1997 Subaru outback Impreza. We had DD1 rear facing behind the passenger seat until she was 1. We have the Britax Roundabouts. It was cramped, but the best location in our car.

Bec

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!

User Tag List