When should a baby babble? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 09-02-2009, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I was reading a baby book that said babies should be babbling (making consonant sounds like bababa or mamama) by 4 to 6 months.

My 6.5 month old has never made a sound like that in his life - nothing that sounds like a consonant or an English syllable. He makes lots of other sounds (laughing, croaking, snorting, etc...) and seems very socially engaged and developing fine in other ways (close to crawling, sits very well, pulls up to stand). Should I be worried?
#2 of 12 Old 09-02-2009, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't think so. My 6.5 month year old makes all those sounds you describe, but doesn't babble. I am not worried at all.
#3 of 12 Old 09-02-2009, 07:33 PM

If you're worried you could ask your ped. Hearing problems (sometimes reversible) and physical things (tongue-tie, etc) can seem like a speech delay. Having watched a few kids with speech delays, I don't think its necc a bad thing to catch them early and be proactive about it.

But if baby seems social and engaged and hitting other milestones normally, its probably just part of the normal variation. Baby books seem determined to make parents worried about things!

dissertating mom to three

#4 of 12 Old 09-02-2009, 08:40 PM

My son is 2 and did not babble at all until after 1 year. I'm not exaggerating- he made no sounds. He started talking late, but has already caught up and speaks in 2-3 word sentences.
#5 of 12 Old 09-03-2009, 01:01 AM

it has been a little of my concern lately as well, my baby turned 7 mo yesterday ( and he hasnt been bubbling at all... i am kinda thinking that its because he hears 2 different languages on a daily basis and is a little confused... he makes all kinds of noises and has been "singing" a lot lately, but no bubbling... i was going to ask my ped about it tomorrow when we go for a checkup.
i cant tell if he has anything like tongue-tie but his hearing is definetely ok. he responds very well to anyone calling him by his name and reacts to other sounds too...
i imagine 6 mo is most common, but all babies are different, so im sure this part varies as well
#6 of 12 Old 09-03-2009, 03:32 AM

When I was at the Pediatrician's last month the sign on her wall said that babies should be babbling by 12 months. (The sign was an early sign's for autism chart - when you should worry) I was surprised when my 8 mo starting 'talking' up a storm! I thought he was early on that developmental marker I really wouldn't worry!! Give it to the 12 month mark.

Wifey to my DH 9/2005 and always busy SAHM  to my beautiful boys  twins.gif   Elijah 12/2008 and Caeleb 6/2010
Our baby girl  stork-girl.gif is arriving October 2012!!!

#7 of 12 Old 09-03-2009, 04:32 PM

The DR Sears Baby Book says 9 months.

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#8 of 12 Old 09-03-2009, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! I'll enjoy the croaking and squealing and not worry about the rest for another few months.
#9 of 12 Old 09-03-2009, 05:40 PM

I wouldn't worry. The last time I saw my ped she asked me if he was babbling and I said no. Then later on during the visit he made the noises you mentioned and she said "that's considered babbling" - so I guess he babbles. just not the classic babbling "babababa' and 'mamama'

Charlotte wife to B momma to Q 2/22/09
#10 of 12 Old 09-03-2009, 05:52 PM

6 to 9 months -- that being said, ds didn't babble much at all until about 10 months. He had his first sign at 11 months, His first spoken word at 12-13 mos, and at 8 years, is quite verbal (at least with his parents). His pronunciation did suck until he hit 4, though. Dd was my textbook baby in terms of babbling and started right at 5 1/2 months.

You should be seeing some vocal play - playing with different pitches, volume, individual sounds. You should hear an occasional syllable ('ba', 'ma' 'ga'), but not necessarily strings of syllables. Strings of syllables tend to come at the same time as rhythmic hand-banging. So, when they start to bang on things almost like they're keeping time to something, then you'll most likely hear babbling soon too. By 12-13 months you should be getting more varied babbling - the kind that sounds like sentences, only you can't find the words.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#11 of 12 Old 09-03-2009, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Lynn for that more detailed explanation. Wish the baby book had explained it that way! He definitely does the vocal play thing (decided just the other day to start experimenting with lip smacking sounds). I'll keep my ears open for any stray syllables.
#12 of 12 Old 09-03-2009, 07:57 PM

Miles would say "ghee" "ga" "seeee" "a-goo", "a-ghee" and myriads of sounds. He also repeats "hi" when we say it (most of the time) Blowing bubbles as well.

Is that considered babbling? I always thought "classic" babbling is ba-baba, ma-ma,ma.

He is 6 mos.

[FONT="Tahoma"][B]Mary:::, mommy to Devon girl: 3.30.2006 and Smile Miles 2.24.2009, a funky little monkey!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page