suddenly clingy - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 14 Old 09-02-2009, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter
 
lillacfaerie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
did your baby suddenly get much more clingy at around eight months. I co sleep and am exclusively breastfeeding if that matters. I'm not much of a sling wearer. My dd is huge and every carrier I've tried kills my back. I think this behavior is farly normal, but it sure is hard to get dinner on the table when you can't put baby down for a second! Oh well, at least she loves me!
lillacfaerie is offline  
#2 of 14 Old 09-03-2009, 03:49 AM
 
icy02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 561
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I notice that also, but I do try to distract DS as much as possible when in the kitchen. He is usually happy if I put him right by my feet and give him a wooden spoon or spatula to play with. When I am in the bathroom trying to get ready I give him a comb or brush to explore. It works for about 10 minutes, so I work fast! It just isn't safe to be cutting veggies with a 8 mo in your arms!!

Wifey to my DH 9/2005 and always busy SAHM  to my beautiful boys  twins.gif   Elijah 12/2008 and Caeleb 6/2010
Our baby girl  stork-girl.gif is arriving October 2012!!!

 

 

icy02 is offline  
#3 of 14 Old 09-03-2009, 10:48 AM
 
terrainthailand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Pacific Northwest
Posts: 409
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by icy02 View Post
I notice that also, but I do try to distract DS as much as possible when in the kitchen. He is usually happy if I put him right by my feet and give him a wooden spoon or spatula to play with. When I am in the bathroom trying to get ready I give him a comb or brush to explore.

New mommy 12/12/08.  Living and working in the Pacific Northwest. 
Currently growing number two!
5+++1sttri.gif10----15----20----25----30----35----40
terrainthailand is offline  
#4 of 14 Old 09-03-2009, 01:04 PM
 
MadiMamacita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bend, OR
Posts: 3,939
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i feel like i have been posting this a lot- but its so helpful!
right around 28-31 weeks (which i think is about 7-8 mos..no? i get confused on that many weeks!) there is a tranistion period where baby has just figured out that mama can walk away and leave him behind. he's figuring out that mama and baby are two enteties where previously he thought you were one being. he is developing his sense of self which must be super scary!
if you scroll about half way down there is a chart: http://www.livingcontrolsystems.com/...ontent_ww.html

i guess thats not really a suggestion for how to deal with the clingyness, but it should pass shortly!

 treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

 
 

MadiMamacita is offline  
#5 of 14 Old 09-03-2009, 02:03 PM
 
LROM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 908
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DD is 8 months old and we are totally going through this now. It's not that she can't be put down, but she seems to mostly want to be within touching distance of me. And it's coinciding with her being able to say "mama" so when I leave her at daycare and she's playing and then as I'm sneaking out I hear her realize I'm not there, say "Mama" and start to cry... it kills me!!!
LROM is offline  
#6 of 14 Old 09-03-2009, 05:10 PM
 
icy02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 561
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LROM View Post
My DD is 8 months old and we are totally going through this now. It's not that she can't be put down, but she seems to mostly want to be within touching distance of me. And it's coinciding with her being able to say "mama" so when I leave her at daycare and she's playing and then as I'm sneaking out I hear her realize I'm not there, say "Mama" and start to cry... it kills me!!!
This happened to me with my DS when I tried to leave him with my normal Friday night sitter last week. It just kills me when he reaches for me and starts screaming, I just can't leave him that way! I wish I never had to leave him at all Unfortunately have to work 3 nights/week.

Wifey to my DH 9/2005 and always busy SAHM  to my beautiful boys  twins.gif   Elijah 12/2008 and Caeleb 6/2010
Our baby girl  stork-girl.gif is arriving October 2012!!!

 

 

icy02 is offline  
#7 of 14 Old 09-03-2009, 06:40 PM
 
Swandira's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 908
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes, and it drives me nuts! He's normally so mellow and mild-tempered, but now he just wants to climb me like a tree. I admit to having cooked with him on my back in the Ergo despite my better judgment, but I'm not proud of it.

I left him for six hours one day (I had to have my gallbladder removed), and my MIL watched the kids, and apparently he mourned for me the whole time. He cried and wouldn't take a bottle, even though he normally takes one from his dad when I have an evening meeting or something. It seems she left him to cry in the middle of the floor when she couldn't get him to stop crying. I'm sure he's over it by now, but it made me sad. I hear, though, that my very opinionated three-year-old told her off for not picking up her baby brother when he was crying. Go her!

Nealy
mama to T, 6; L, 3; and O, 12/12/08
Swandira is offline  
#8 of 14 Old 09-04-2009, 12:58 PM
 
mumofboyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: MA
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
When my LO becomes needy, I chalk it up to developmental gains, gs, cognitive development, etc. Breathe and remember that it won't last forever. He needs you. He is assuring his connection with you. That is not a bad thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swandira View Post
I admit to having cooked with him on my back in the Ergo despite my better judgment, but I'm not proud of it.
Nealy
Nealy, what is wrong with cooking Ergo style? My family wouldn't eat dinner if I couldn't prep food that way. (Although I won't cook with hot oil on stove or open a hot oven with him back there.) Am I missing something?

~Kat
DS#1 (15), DS#2 (13), DS#3 (2):
mumofboyz is offline  
#9 of 14 Old 09-04-2009, 01:53 PM
 
haurelia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 742
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a 7 month old velcro baby too...the sling is part of my daily wardrobe.
I, too, cook and/or prep food with him on my back just about every day. I don't see anything wrong with that...if I didn't wear him whilst cooking, we'd be getting pizza every night.
I take him into the bathroom with me most of the time, and he loves just hanging out in there, checking out the shower curtain or the comb...I just have to remember to put the garbage up!

Married to P and mama to DS (1/09)blahblah.gifand DD  (09/13 babygirl.gif). I'm into friends and family, gardening, exercise, yoga, reading, knitting, photos, traditional foods, breastfeeding, home birth, babywearing, and much more. 
haurelia is offline  
#10 of 14 Old 09-04-2009, 01:57 PM
 
~PurityLake~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Anchorage, Alaska, US
Posts: 6,153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadiMamacita View Post
i feel like i have been posting this a lot- but its so helpful!
right around 28-31 weeks (which i think is about 7-8 mos..no? i get confused on that many weeks!) there is a tranistion period where baby has just figured out that mama can walk away and leave him behind. he's figuring out that mama and baby are two enteties where previously he thought you were one being. he is developing his sense of self which must be super scary!
if you scroll about half way down there is a chart: http://www.livingcontrolsystems.com/...ontent_ww.html

i guess thats not really a suggestion for how to deal with the clingyness, but it should pass shortly!
This is something I was going to post. It is true that around 8 months old they discover they are separate from mommy. It's only natural they get clingy and I just gave them what they needed during that time. Eventually they do gain independence and it all becomes a thing of the past that you actually miss a little.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif
 
 
 
 

~PurityLake~ is offline  
#11 of 14 Old 09-04-2009, 02:10 PM
 
Swandira's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 908
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumofboyz View Post
Nealy, what is wrong with cooking Ergo style? My family wouldn't eat dinner if I couldn't prep food that way. (Although I won't cook with hot oil on stove or open a hot oven with him back there.) Am I missing something?
It's the parenthetical activities you mention that worry me. Also, he pulls my hair when he's on my back, and I'm worried he'll get hairs in things.

Nealy
Swandira is offline  
#12 of 14 Old 09-04-2009, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter
 
lillacfaerie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, I wish I liked wearing her more. It hurts my shoulders so much. She's such a chunky little thing, and she always tries to climb out of the carrier. She's my little sweetie though. I'm sure I'll miss this stage.
lillacfaerie is offline  
#13 of 14 Old 09-05-2009, 07:22 AM
 
ommom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: san francisco area
Posts: 391
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumofboyz View Post
When my LO becomes needy, I chalk it up to developmental gains, gs, cognitive development, etc. Breathe and remember that it won't last forever. He needs you. He is assuring his connection with you. That is not a bad thing.



Nealy, what is wrong with cooking Ergo style? My family wouldn't eat dinner if I couldn't prep food that way. (Although I won't cook with hot oil on stove or open a hot oven with him back there.) Am I missing something?
hi! i'm not nealy but cooking can be potentially dangerous b/c of fire. i'd've never thought it but i once caught myself on fire (robe touched open flame of burner) which was scary & would be pretty bad if baby were attached to me. i do cook sometimes but carefully w/her on my back, not front, and on the back burners. i also don't like her crawling at my feet when using a cleaver. i imagine it potentially falling on her by accident.

DD 12/08
ommom is offline  
#14 of 14 Old 09-06-2009, 01:21 AM
 
MommyToElla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Somerset County, NJ
Posts: 468
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my dd is 7.5 months and just started this phase as well... no time alone!

happily married mama to ella (5) and maya (jan 09 vbac)
MommyToElla is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off