Mothering Forum banner

crib bumper?

660 views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  Rosegin 
#1 ·
In the next few months, we'll be setting up our baby's crib to have another sleeping location option. I've never used a crib, so I don't know the pros/cons of using a crib bumper? What's the purpose and are there any potential dangers?

#2 ·
I've always used one but that's just me! They are to make the sides cushiony in case the baby's head hit the side or something. I though it made the crib pretty cozy.

People don't use them sometimes because they feel it lowers the risks of SIDS by keeping the air circulating better.

It's up to you.

#3 ·
I think the risk of SIDS decreases once they can move away from the bumper if they roll over and their face is touching it. I think as they get older, the risk comes with getting tangled up in it. That being said, DS has had one in his crib from the beginning and we have never had a problem. He is almost 2yo and still has it in there because when I took it out he asked for it back - I think it makes him feel cozy and he likes to sleep with his head in the corner.

#4 ·
One other danger is once they start pulling up they can use it as a step to get out of the crib. For SIDS and tangling concerns, just make sure it is tightly tied to the crib (should have ties toward the top and bottom at each point on the bumper) and that no ties are available to the baby.

#6 ·
DD's crib has a bumper. She's been sleeping in her crib for four months or so. She tends to roll around a lot, so I feel like when she smacks her head up against the side that the bumper cushions the blow. She has tried using it as a step, but it isn't sturdy enough for her to use it as a step.

#7 ·
i think people are concerned with the safety of crib bumpers because they are worried the baby will suffocate if they get pressed up against it. i don't know how a baby young enough to not be able to move their face if they are not breathing will be able to roll enough on a flat surface to get into a suffocation position anyway.
my baby has maybe slept about 40 mintues total napping in his own crib in 7 months, but i initially tied the crib bumpers to the outside of the crib because I didn't want to use them inside (my new mom nervousness beat out my rational side..) and they still looked cute, but now that he's bigger and i put him in there to play while i do dishes/laundry etc put them back on the inside. i like that if he falls over he doesnt hit his head on those crib bars.
honestly, i don't think its a huge concern. i personally think they look really cute in a crib. if you like them, use them. but if they make you too nervous, just hang them up like a decoration until baby has better control.

#8 ·
I made bumpers for DD - couldn't resist, I was sewing all the bedding for the nursery and they are super cute.

She's 4 mo old and doesn't sleep in her crib but she has had some naps there and I found her once all tangled up in the bumper. That was it for me. I took it off. Maybe once she is a bit older I will put them back on. I do worry about her bumping her head - she tends to migrate to the corner

#10 ·
In my opinion, the dangers far outweigh the benifit.
Dangers: Entanglement and strangulation, suffocation, all of which can lead to death
Benifits: Cute, if baby "bumps" head on the rail (which is really not going to be hard enough to cause injury in most instances) there is something cussiony there.

There are babies who can scooch toward the bumper and not able to roll over yet or pull things from face. I'm just not willing to put my baby's life at risk over something cute and soft.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.