4 month old and coughing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-24-2009, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 4 mo old son coughs throughout the day. He is not sick. He has been doing this for a couple of months, but seems to cough a bit more now. I have mentioned this to his pediatrician, but she said that as long as he does not appear to be sick, it's no cause for concern.

He will cough a few times every couple of hours, and maybe once or twice during the night.

He is in his teething stage, so not sure if it's just execessive saliva causing it.

One google search tied coughing to allergies, which has me concerned because his dad has lots of allergies.

My son is 100% breastfed too.

Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2009, 09:38 PM

My husband would cough all day and night, just like your little one. We finally figured out that it was the lambskins hat our kids slept on in our bed a night. I removed them from bed, and his cough cleared right up.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:47 PM

Are you sure it's not "fake" coughing? My LO (6 mo) started doing this recently. She hears me clear my throat a lot (allergies), so she coughs and then smiles to get my attention a lot. I cough back at her, and she does it again and smiles or laughs. I Googled it myself awhile ago "fake coughing baby" and found that it's pretty common at this age. Just learning to do more stuff with their voices!

-
Old 09-28-2009, 01:02 AM

DD fake coughs all the time. I didn't figure it out until she started to crack up after she did it. Kids are weird

obstruct livery vehicles

Old 09-28-2009, 01:57 AM

My 4 month old coughs randomly throughout the day. I'm pretty sure it's just the drool for him. I think he gets choked up on it sometimes. Also if he's super fussy he'll choke up and get to coughing.

Madalyn military wife to Chris & proud momma to Jonas 5/17/09
Old 04-04-2013, 05:47 PM

Hi lkmiscnet. I know your post was from a couple years back but my 4month old (born Nov 2012) has had a cough for a couple months. I wanted to ask of they ever found out what caused your baby's cough or did it disappear on its own? The pedi is not concerned bc my baby is not sick and Chest xray is normal. But as a new mom, it has been worrying me. Any advice?

User Tag List