Introducing quinoa as first food - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 09-26-2009, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our doctor recommended introducing quinoa as our little one's first food. I thought I would find quinoa cereal in the baby aisle, but I only found quinoa flour and quinoa flakes, aside from the quinoa in the bulk section. My doctor is on vacation, so does anyone have any advise on quinoa. I think the flakes would be the best. If I cook the quinoa flakes and then puree, how long will this keep in fridge?
#2 of 24 Old 09-26-2009, 12:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm going to move you over to Life with a Babe since this isn't specifically about breastfeeding.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#3 of 24 Old 09-26-2009, 12:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just cooked up regular quinoa flakes & fed ds just like that. No pureeing necessary. It was one of his first foods & he handled it no problem.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#4 of 24 Old 09-26-2009, 01:09 AM

While quinoa is not really a grain, it's a seed, I still would wait and start with simple veggies and fruits. Grains, nuts, seeds, dairy, etc. are sometimes allergens (but of course some veggies and fruits can incite reactions)

When we eat quinoa we sprout it first, very simple just rinse VERY well to get rid of the sopanins (cause stomach upset) and let sit for a couple days, rinsing a couple times/day. On the second day or when you see the little sprouts, cook around 10min or so, taste along the way to make sure you don't over cook. Quinoa doesn't take long like rice. I would probably mash it a bit with my fork before feeding it to LO.

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
#5 of 24 Old 09-26-2009, 01:58 AM

We didn't try quinoa until maybe 8 or 9 months, but we used the flakes. Baby Girl didn't really like it.

Later, I also made some quinoa croquettes with whole quinoa and mashed sweet potato, and she kind of liked those.

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

#6 of 24 Old 09-26-2009, 08:57 AM

We tried quinoa as DS's first food and it was kind of a disaster. We mashed it up a bit and he still had a hard time with the texture. I guess flakes would have been better but I did not know about them.

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#7 of 24 Old 09-26-2009, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

I cooked up some quinoa flakes. They cook up quickly (can even be microwaved) but have the same texture as quinoa. The "flakes" are not a smooth texture that one would think. We tried without pureeing yesterday and today I'll puree some. We'll see how it goes. Thank you for your comments.
#8 of 24 Old 09-27-2009, 05:11 AM

We used the Happy Bellies brand of cereals (we used oats instead of rice which wasn't liked).

I saw they have a multi grain that has quinoa, oats and amaranth.

I'm going to try it with DS when it's time.
#9 of 24 Old 09-27-2009, 12:36 PM

I didn't know there were quinoa flakes! I've been trying to feed Meadow cooked quinoa with veggies or yogurt, and she's not too crazy about it. But as far as grain goes, it's probably the best. Where can you find quinoa flakes??

Lovestruck luxlove.gif mama to Girlie #1 energy.gifand Girlie #2 on the way!
#10 of 24 Old 09-27-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganCupcake View Post
We didn't try quinoa until maybe 8 or 9 months, but we used the flakes. Baby Girl didn't really like it.

Later, I also made some quinoa croquettes with whole quinoa and mashed sweet potato, and she kind of liked those.

VEGAN CUPCAKE - this sounds good! Could you describe how you made the croquettes? Did you add anything besides quinoa and sweet potatoes?
#11 of 24 Old 09-27-2009, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo F. View Post
While quinoa is not really a grain, it's a seed, I still would wait and start with simple veggies and fruits. Grains, nuts, seeds, dairy, etc. are sometimes allergens (but of course some veggies and fruits can incite reactions)

When we eat quinoa we sprout it first, very simple just rinse VERY well to get rid of the sopanins (cause stomach upset) and let sit for a couple days, rinsing a couple times/day. On the second day or when you see the little sprouts, cook around 10min or so, taste along the way to make sure you don't over cook. Quinoa doesn't take long like rice. I would probably mash it a bit with my fork before feeding it to LO.
I second this. We started with veggies and fruits (but mostly veg) and have been going very slow on the grains. Brown rice, well soaked, well cooked with lots of water, and oats and millet done the same way have been fine. Quinoa comes out very like it goes in (sorry if too much info!) even soaked, well cooked and lightly mashed. So, we're still waiting on quinoa at 11 mo.

Wife to great guy and mama to 2 beautiful girls S Oct 15, 2008 and Z March 22, 2011
#12 of 24 Old 09-28-2009, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

We found the quinoa flakes at a health food store.

Now that we started the quinoa, I'll have to do it for a few days to make sure there is no allergic reaction. The quinoa flakes still have a texture with pureeing. I also have quinoa flour, but I have no idea what to do with it. I may have to consult another naturopathic doctor to see.
#13 of 24 Old 09-28-2009, 10:59 PM

I vote for starting grains later. Grains, seeds and such are hard to digest. I would start on a very well cooked veggie.

We create our own reality.
#14 of 24 Old 09-29-2009, 12:52 AM

Another vote for waiting on the grains.

A friend told me her ped told her when her son was starting food (he's as old as me, lol!) to avoid allergies to start with MEAT. It seems odd, but if you are careful to pick something grassfed, etc...

Does that sound right?

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

#15 of 24 Old 09-29-2009, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quinoa is a non-grass and it is said to be easily digested.

I know all doctors have different recommendations. Thank you everyone for your feedback.

Catwmandu I'll have to try that multi grain cereal later down the road.
#16 of 24 Old 09-29-2009, 10:27 AM

Hi
We are way beyond the rice cereal stage, but Quinoa flakes sound like it might be a good breakfast cereal. I have never seen them sold, where did you get quinoa flakes? Who makes them? Are they an Earth's Best product?

Mommy to one beautiful boy, born 9/28/08
#17 of 24 Old 09-29-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
Another vote for waiting on the grains.

A friend told me her ped told her when her son was starting food (he's as old as me, lol!) to avoid allergies to start with MEAT. It seems odd, but if you are careful to pick something grassfed, etc...

Does that sound right?
Actually, I have read that in traditional cultures, meat is a first food for baby.

Logically, it actually does make sense when you consider that baby cereal and formula are all iron-fortified.

dog2.gifcrochetsmilie.gif Lovin' my sweetheart, pregnant with #1 (EDD Feb.2013) stork-suprise.gif

#18 of 24 Old 09-29-2009, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulboy View Post
Hi
We are way beyond the rice cereal stage, but Quinoa flakes sound like it might be a good breakfast cereal. I have never seen them sold, where did you get quinoa flakes? Who makes them? Are they an Earth's Best product?
The quinoa flakes we have is Ancient Harvest.
#19 of 24 Old 09-30-2009, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulboy View Post
Hi
My natural foods store has them in bulk. They do make a good breakfast.

Catherine, mama to Preschooler Girl 9/08, and Toddler Boy 3/11

#20 of 24 Old 10-01-2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieAnn View Post
Actually, I have read that in traditional cultures, meat is a first food for baby.

Logically, it actually does make sense when you consider that baby cereal and formula are all iron-fortified.
I've heard that some countries' (Norway? Sweden? I don't remember which) governments currently recommend meat for 6 month olds.
#21 of 24 Old 10-01-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokey4 View Post
I've heard that some countries' (Norway? Sweden? I don't remember which) governments currently recommend meat for 6 month olds.
I think I read somewhere on MDC that Canada does so too.
#22 of 24 Old 10-02-2009, 04:22 PM

Meat was recommended to me by the health nurse as a good first food (I'm in Canada). She told me to look for "beef in broth - not the casserole stuff".
I'm just going to skip the babyfood stuff but yes meat is recommended here for six months.
#23 of 24 Old 10-02-2009, 11:19 PM

We don't do grains/seeds before a year, and then proceed slowly after.

Our first foods for our first son were avocado and ribs -- REAL foods that could be picked up. I'm not sure why a completely processed/flaked version of anything is offered to small children (or grown ups for that matter, but especially mouths developing a palate for taste and texture!).

eta: had a thought after I posted! This could be because we didn't offer food until our baby could pick it up and get it in his mouth himself. Not big spoon feeders!

Erin sharing life with a burly husband and two rad boys 7/06 & 5/09 : : Zone 9-ish
#24 of 24 Old 10-17-2009, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

i wanted to conclude on how we did with introducing the quinoa as the first food. we initially tried the quinoa flakes (shorter cooking time), which had some texture, so we pureed it. then, we made regular quinoa and pureed. we tried for 1 week and moved on to sweet potatoes. after a week on sweet potatoes, we now mix the two and it is working out well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page