Baby cries so hard he stops breathing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 09-29-2009, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I already have a call into the doc and am waiting to hear back but DS (6 weeks) has so far 3 times (once about 1 week ago and the others yesterday and today) cried so hard he stops breathing.

Yesterday DH was changing him and I was outside, DS got very upset real fast and completely freaked DH out. He came racing out to me holding half naked DS b/c he thought he was dying.
Today, 3 blocks from home in the car he was crying and by the time we got into the driveway he was doing it again.

He turns bright red and his eyes just open and stare and he stops breathing. Then he might take one breath after what seems like forever (but is probably 10-15 seconds- I honestly have no idea), then stop, then another, stop, then finally regains his breath.

He is colicky and cries a lot and I am terrified to put him down at all as he seems to be making a habit of this. I wear him or go to him as soon as he's crying, but in the car I can't always do that.

I have heard of older children who hold their breath until they pass out and then start breathing again. Can infants do this too? Anyone have experience with this? It is scaring the life out of me!

Thanks

Mama to a sweet 12/06 girl fairy.gif and a squishy 8/09 boy biggrinbounce.gif
#2 of 23 Old 09-29-2009, 09:16 PM

I don't have any advice on the crying, just some

Have you looked into reflux or food allergies for the colic? My DS had both of these and once we got it under control with a change in my diet and meds for the reflux, he stopped screaming.

Good luck mama, hope you get this figured out soon.

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

#3 of 23 Old 09-29-2009, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCatherine185 View Post
I don't have any advice on the crying, just some

Have you looked into reflux or food allergies for the colic? My DS had both of these and once we got it under control with a change in my diet and meds for the reflux, he stopped screaming.

Good luck mama, hope you get this figured out soon.
nak
we did try reflux meds, didn't help.
i am thinking of cutting out dairy next. thanks for the hugs!

#4 of 23 Old 09-29-2009, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My oldest did this--he started at 5 months old-- and it scared the crap out of me. There are some tricks you can try, like blowing in his face. Someone once suggested flicking his feet. I think I may have tried that once, but it didn't feel right. In the end, he outgrew it around age 5.

I remember reading that there is some evidence it might be linked to iron levels, but his iron always tested fine, so .

It can be so, so scary.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#5 of 23 Old 09-29-2009, 09:35 PM

DD did this. I admit to splashing water in her face to shock her. But mostly she just had to "pass out" a bit to "restart" her system. I feel so evil saying that, but the doc said there was nothing he could do.

Proud Catholic (30) and mama to V (10)
#6 of 23 Old 10-01-2009, 03:57 AM

That must be so scary! My DD (now 8) had breath-holding spells but she was older, I think 8 months when she had her first. I have never heard of such a young baby doing it. Have you mentioned it to your pediatrician?

mama to DD9, coolshine.gif DS7 bouncy.gif and DD1.luxlove.gif

#7 of 23 Old 10-01-2009, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouso View Post
nak
we did try reflux meds, didn't help.
i am thinking of cutting out dairy next. thanks for the hugs!
what reflux meds did you try? we tried zantac and it made no difference, but once we switched to Prevacid, after 2 weeks the screaming stopped. I also cut out dairy and tomatoes as these were both allergies in my DS.

hope you get things figured out soon!

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

#8 of 23 Old 10-01-2009, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MangoMommy View Post
That must be so scary! My DD (now 8) had breath-holding spells but she was older, I think 8 months when she had her first. I have never heard of such a young baby doing it. Have you mentioned it to your pediatrician?
nak
i have. they called me back and said not to worry if he only does it when he cries. my ped is very thorough so i don't think he's blowing me off. i never knew it could start this young either.

my dd always throws up if she cries hard.
oy, where do i get these children?!

Quote:
what reflux meds did you try? we tried zantac and it made no difference, but once we switched to Prevacid, after 2 weeks the screaming stopped. I also cut out dairy and tomatoes as these were both allergies in my DS.

hope you get things figured out soon!
thanks. yes, zantac. but in a follow up appt my doc felt this was more colic than reflux. ds seems to have painful gas that bothers him more than anything else, as far as i can tell.
i guess i am going to start off dairy again. i did it twice for several weeks with dd but it never helped her, but maybe with this one...

thanks, all!

#9 of 23 Old 10-01-2009, 02:19 PM

Ds barely ever cries but he has done this. It's always scary but now I know it happens & I just reassure him & encourage him to breathe. Worst case, like pp said, they pass out briefly & their system restarts. Fortunately it has never come to that for ds.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#10 of 23 Old 10-01-2009, 11:09 PM

Blowing in the face (just a gentle puff) can startle them into taking a breath before they actually pass out.

As for the reflux, and having had two refluxers myself, I strongly recommend eliminating dairy (soy and caffeine were our other triggers), and trying a chiro adjustment or a few, as well... It really helped dd with the worst of her reflux symptoms.

read.gifSarah ~ wild.gifds X 12/05 ~ flower.gifdd E 3/08 h20homebirth.gif  ~  stork-suprise.gif 7/12 dizzy.gif

#11 of 23 Old 10-01-2009, 11:16 PM

Mine have all done that and my 2yo will still do it rarely. They grow out of it and none of mine ever suffered ill effects or actually passed out. Scared the crap outta me with my first though, he'd turn purple

Krista; blessed mother to four earthly beings and three non-physical. Basking in my beautiful rainbow. 

#12 of 23 Old 10-02-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouso View Post
nak

thanks. yes, zantac. but in a follow up appt my doc felt this was more colic than reflux. ds seems to have painful gas that bothers him more than anything else, as far as i can tell.
i guess i am going to start off dairy again. i did it twice for several weeks with dd but it never helped her, but maybe with this one...

thanks, all!
I don't understand "felt it was more colic than reflux." What made him come to that determination? I thought in most cases colic was a result of reflux or allergies..

I would strongly suggest looking into the reflux or allergies more.

Here is a page on reflux from kellymom.. and here is one on allergies.

I would also look more into the stopping breathing thing.. It just doesn't seem normal to me, I would press your ped a little more.

#13 of 23 Old 10-02-2009, 07:22 PM

actually, it's quite normal. i did it, as did my sister, and my daughter. so did my aunt. no one ever found an underlying issue, and we all grew out of it.

Proud Catholic (30) and mama to V (10)
#14 of 23 Old 10-02-2009, 09:48 PM

wow, that sounds scary mama

Hopefully you are able to try the blow in face or water in face like others have suggusted to "snap" him out of it quickly when he starts crying

: Mother (4/11/06) to Josephine and (4/23/09) to Oliver and baby (due June 1st)

Babies: Angel (6/29/02), Tiberius (3/8/11), Lillianna (12/27/11)

#15 of 23 Old 10-02-2009, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I don't understand "felt it was more colic than reflux." What made him come to that determination? I thought in most cases colic was a result of reflux or allergies..

I would strongly suggest looking into the reflux or allergies more.

Here is a page on reflux from kellymom.. and here is one on allergies.

I would also look more into the stopping breathing thing.. It just doesn't seem normal to me, I would press your ped a little more.
nak- i am always nak!

thanks for the links. i am trying no dairy again.
i think the thinking is that colic can also be an immature digestive tract, which is why it often disappears around month 3.
also, another theory is that some high-need or sensitive babies are often just more upset by gas, and complain until they get used to it (or it lessens as they mature).
for example, my dd was like this and is very high need whereas my niece is easygoing - my niece had the worst gas, but she would just grunt and pass it and go on- unlike my dd.
and while my dd's gas may have been more painful, I have spoken with other folks who have found this to be true.

it does seem the breathing thing is normal- fortunately and unfortunately. i hope he outgrows it quickly. my heart can't take it!

#16 of 23 Old 10-03-2009, 05:45 AM

SO sorry you are dealing with this My daughter did the same thing for several months after she was born and it scared me so bad. She would cry so hard it was like her body just couldn't take the stress and her breathing would stop. She mostly only did it when she was in the car seat which freaked her out. Car rides were awful!

All I could do was just do everything in my power to keep her from crying. As soon as she would start, I'd have to pull the car over. She did grow out of it after a little while. It was completely gone by about 9 months or so.

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
#17 of 23 Old 10-03-2009, 09:23 PM

So sorry! That would freak me out too.

I can only say that my husband did it as a child and he's fine. He'd hold his breath until he passed out. The first few times, his mom says she just about feinted with worry. After being reassured by her ped that he would be fine, she would just let him pass out, and wait for him to come back around.

He still teases her about it, like, "I'd be President of the United State if mom didn't let me pass out so much", or "I'd be winning the nobel prize this year if mom would have just stopped me from holding my breath."

I know it's not funny for you right now, but one day it will be.
#18 of 23 Old 10-08-2009, 09:13 PM

Glad to find this thread. My son (9.5 months) just did this tonight for the first time. I had just gotten home from work and had to race to the bathroom, and so I kissed him and rushed off to the bathroom. Of course he wailed, and then I hear my husband telling him to breathe and I rush out of the bathroom and his lips are blue and he's pale and limp. Scariest moment of my life. He was lethagric for about 5 minutes afterwards, and then fine. I just did some online research and plan to call my ped tomorrow just to be sure, but it sounds like a somewhat common phenomenon. Most of the research said to not to react too much to it, so as not to encourage it. It makes sense, but as if I can ignore my child practically passing out! It's hard enough not to react to the funny breathing-talking sounds he makes! Ahhh!
#19 of 23 Old 10-10-2009, 09:49 PM

I saw a news special on a child in my town who did this anytime she got upset...and she wouldn't start breathing again without outside stimulation. She had to get a surgery when she was 4 to correct it. Until then, she had to have someone by her side 24/7, and Medicaid wouldn't cover any medical help for the family.

I would also press your ped a little more. It doesn't seem normal to me. If there are disorders like that out there, it should definitely be checked out.

Single mama to S ~ 6/09

#20 of 23 Old 10-11-2009, 08:56 AM

My DD has done that once, and she's 9mos exactly. It was actually just a week or so ago - I was sitting on the bed, she was playing with the dresser drawer, and I think maybe she smooshed her fingers? I honestly don't know WHAT she did, just that it apparently hurt BAD all of a sudden, and she started doing the no-inhale cry. She's never actually stopped breathing before so I was sitting there like a dummy trying to console her when I realized she was starting to go blue in the face - so, I blew on her and it startled her into taking a breath. The weird thing was, she cried for about ten more seconds and then was perfectly fine.
#21 of 23 Old 07-30-2014, 08:40 PM

My son does this

My Son is 1.5 month old. He did it couple of times ...Once i took him to ER. After all medical tests Doctors said he looks fine. but after coming home he repeated this. When he cries hard, he becomes unconscious and stops take breathing for few seconds.

What i did? - I hold his both legs with one hand and keep his head down, beat him on his back until he cries.He should be able to cry after he freezes. This is mentioned in a book given by our pediatrician.

It's so scary everytime he cries. We dont know when he cries hard. Someone needs to watch him all the time.

I never enjoyed of having a newborn at home due to this issue..
#22 of 23 Old 07-31-2014, 01:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
My daughter was horribly colicky and used to do this often.. It was just awful. We were able to blow in her face a little bit to get her to breathe and she didn't pass out she did turn purple though :/ . The doctors just said it was her personality when we took her into the er after a 5 hour crying spell when she was 6 weeks. She did outgrow it I can't remember exactly when but definitely before a year old. She's 2 now and doesn't ever do this. She was colicky until 6 months and then "high needs". She has mostly outgrown it and is an amazing 2 year old with not too much of the "terrible 2's". Reflux meds did not make a difference for us (nothing except time did) but I know they help others. So it was something we just had to get through that got better on its own.
#23 of 23 Old 07-31-2014, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by savemegod View Post
When he cries hard, he becomes unconscious and stops take breathing for few seconds.
My three and a half year old son used to do this, until he was almost a year and a half old. He wouldn't pass out, but he'd hold his breath so long he's go limp and his eyes would roll back in his head for 2-3 seconds, then start all over again. He would also cry for a very long time- I remember one day he cried for SEVEN hours straight. At two months old. The doctor gave him a clean bill of health- no colic (100% breastfed), just his personality, he'll grow out of it. My son's still very high needs, still extremely tempermental and very stubborn... but he's outgrown the screaming and holding his breath thing, thank God. Those were some scary, scary days, and the waiting for him to outgrow it felt like it took forever.

Just as a side note, my son does have sensory issues- he gets overstimulated very easily when there's a lot going on around him. If you haven't already, you might want to try different levels of stimulation or lack of stimulation, so see if anything helps there. For my son, a very quiet room helped some and movement (on Mommy) helped a lot, only I couldn't physically do it 24-7. Good luck- better days will come.

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page