Suspected Ear Infection - WWYD? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-09-2009, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Think DS (just over 4 months) might have an ear infection. Or something else going on. He's always been a good sleeper (knock wood) but the last few nights has been up in the middle of the night. Not hungry, gets mad if you try to feed him, yells, cries, wants to be upright. Has really hard time falling back asleep but seems tired. Doesn't feel hot though.

I know about the four month sleep regression but this seems different - almost like he is in pain/discomfort.

He's also been relatively fussy with his bottles (ugh - had to switch at 4 weeks; LONG sad story) all of a sudden during this same time - both day and night. Like he'll drink just enough to take hunger off and then pulls off/on bottle and turns his head hard into me, etc. No history of reflux with him at all.

I was thinking of bringing him into the Ped today to get checked. My ped is relatively laid back and doesn't rush to antibiotics. And I wouldn't use antibiotics for an ear infection unless absolutely necessary. But maybe it would be better just to know so I know what I'm dealing with?

IF it is an ear infection, what would you suggest as treatment? Homeopathic drops? Motrin? Both? Something else?

TIA!

Happy mama to DD (8-11-05) and DS (6-5-09) and married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01.
#2 of 6 Old 10-09-2009, 08:39 AM

Others here will probably disagree but I would take your baby to the dr and then procede from there. I don't do antibiotics for ear infections but I always gave/give motrin. As an adult I still get horrible inner ear infections and they are so painful they can bring me to tears (I'm starting to get one right now thanks to drainage from a cold ) and I would never expect a baby or child to suffer that kind of pain just to avoid a little medicine.

Good luck. I hope your baby feels better soon.

Mom to Iris and Henry
#3 of 6 Old 10-09-2009, 08:52 AM

I treat ear infections if they dont clear up after a week OR if they are really bad. I had been battling what I thought was allergies effecting my DS4's eyes for nearly 2 weeks finally last saturday morning we went to the ped. Wasnt allergies his ear was so infected ( actaully bulging)and throat that his tear ducts werent draining correctly. We are treating this one

He NEVER had a fever or was fussy hes my 4th and Ive never had one act so happy with such a nasty ear infection

Get him checked take the script and wait till your comfortable to fill the prescription

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#4 of 6 Old 10-09-2009, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

Yea I'm definitely going to get the first avail appointment today, thanks. But if it is an ear infection and I hold off with the antibiotics for say a week, what do I treat with in the meantime? Motrin? (I hate Tylenol) Homeopathic drops? Both?

Happy mama to DD (8-11-05) and DS (6-5-09) and married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01.
#5 of 6 Old 10-09-2009, 11:02 AM

Motirn and garlic oil ( slightly warmed) Mullein Garlic Ear Oil is what I use.

THAT being said if your baby gets worse not better then fill the script. Since you have had symptoms I'd only give a few more days ( my week is from symptom onset )

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#6 of 6 Old 10-09-2009, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. Just got back from Ped - ears clear, throat looked good to. He is a bit congested so as of right now Ped thinks nasal congestion dripping back at night - said to use vaporizer (or is humidifier better? I have both) in his room tonight and saline drops during day. Thought maybe some teething too... we will see I guess.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page