Is Sophie the Giraffe *really* all that? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 65 Old 10-09-2009, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sophie is kind of pricey, IMO, for a teether that could be hit or miss. Is she just that fabulous? What is your LOs favorite teether? My LO chews on little softies, and I don't love that...

Mama to Fenergy.gif(06/11/09) and baby boy C baby.gif (06/09/11) 

#2 of 65 Old 10-09-2009, 06:24 PM

Happy mama to DD (8-11-05) and DS (6-5-09) and married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01.
#3 of 65 Old 10-09-2009, 06:28 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Sophie is definitely "all that" in our house. DS has had one since day one and it was the first toy that he recognized and got excited to see. He loves to chew on her, squeak her and bang her like a hammer on everything he can reach. If I had to pick only five toys to keep out of our collection, she would be one of them. So simple yet so...so something...! A bonus is that everyone has one so if we are at a playdate and my LO gets fussy and I didn't bring the perfect familiar item with me, I can always grab someone's Sophie to get a smile. My friends and I recently talked about how we feel sad if we see our Sophies lying face down or smushed at the bottom of a basket, that's how much a part of the family she is. Ridiculous, I know.

That said, I have also known babies who weren't interested in Sophie at all or who needed something harder to chew on.

Happy mumma to my boys Henny Tom (Nov 30, 2008), Arlo Odie (Oct 5, 2010), and baby SISTER! due mid-Dec 2014.
#4 of 65 Old 10-09-2009, 06:29 PM

I don't really like them. They're ugly.

She's rather chew on a remote or a shoe given half a chance.
#5 of 65 Old 10-09-2009, 06:36 PM

Meadow loves hers! I don't know if I would have bought such an expensive toy, but someone gave us a gift certificate so we bought Sophie. It does seem to be a great teether and entertainer, so I'm pretty happy with her!

Lovestruck luxlove.gif mama to Girlie #1 energy.gifand Girlie #2 on the way!
#6 of 65 Old 10-09-2009, 06:39 PM

I think Sophie is cute! My daughter likes her too (7.5 mos). She has been teething for a while now and Sophie provides an easy to clean and easy to bring toy when we're out and about. Sophie's squeak also guarantees a smile. If you're not sure if your child will like it, see if you can borrow a friend's sophie at the next play date.
#7 of 65 Old 10-09-2009, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
What is your LOs favorite teether?
Her knit wool/lambskin shoes. They're her favorite thing in the world next to the boobies.

My mom was given chicken bones as a child. I wouldn't do it, but it worked for them. We've also used soaked and frozen washrags.

#8 of 65 Old 10-09-2009, 06:48 PM

Sophie was Dds favorite toys until she was about a year. She chewed on it all the time. I about died when i saw the price tag, but it was worth it. Sophie still looks brand new!

Trying to balance a preschooler and peace....
#9 of 65 Old 10-09-2009, 06:58 PM

Sophie was TREMENDOUSLY popular on another discussion board I was on when DS was younger and I got sucked into buying one for DS.

Turns out DS couldn't care less for Sophie. Hardly played with, let alone chewed on her. (And I can't say I minded 'cause I hate the rubber smell of her.)

But for others she was golden.

- C reading.gif + Tsuperhero.gif = DS 08/08 bouncy.gif  DD 02/12 angel.gif and D? praying.gif sometime around March 16/2014 

#10 of 65 Old 10-09-2009, 07:07 PM

she's "all that" in our house

most expensive toy I've bought and it was worth it

Charlotte wife to B momma to Q 2/22/09
#11 of 65 Old 10-09-2009, 07:14 PM

I very hesitantly bought a Sophie for DD. Turns out, the cute little giraffe is quite a hit. DD really adores her and we all play with her with DD. For us, she's well worth the money.

Some jackass neighbor of my mom's came over one night and started spraying bug spray on us, b/c she thought we would appreciate it. She soaked Sophie in it. I wanted to cry. I bolted inside with her and scrubbed her down really well. So, her spots are a lot lighter than they used to be.

Then, at the terrible quality, way-way-way overpriced local resale shop, I was walking out and saw a Sophie sitting on the counter, no box but obviously brand spanking new. I asked how much and they woman growled, "I haven't priced it." So, I camped out, standing there, ready to wait a while. She pulls out a 25¢ tag and sticks it to a 2" by 6" chunk of packing tap and wraps it all around Sophie's neck. I said, "I'll TAKE IT!!" and she mumbles, "It's 27 cents with tax." I gleefully rescued Sophie and she must have wondered why the heck I was so enthusiastic.

Obviously, Sophie wasn't a hit for whomever donated her to the store, but I'm thrilled to have a back up Sophie since ours is pretty likely to get lost, eaten by the dog, etc.

SAHPilot Mama to a 5yoson, a 17 mo old daughter, and wife to .
Worried about your baby's head shape? PM me for craniosynostosis info!
#12 of 65 Old 10-09-2009, 07:26 PM

It's true love in our house too. We've literally bought no other toy for babydd and Lily LOVES it.

:Mama to 2 :
#13 of 65 Old 10-09-2009, 07:36 PM

We have "Sophie love" here, too. I wish I'd knew what a hit she'd be four kids ago!

Worth every penny, IMHO. Though I was pretty shocked when she arrived to see she looked and felt like nothing more than a glorified dog toy! (For some reason I thought she'd be solid rubber - you know - like a rubber dog bone.)
#14 of 65 Old 10-09-2009, 08:59 PM
jmo

Definitely all that in our house too. We got one as a gift, I wouldn't have spent the $$ myself. DS is actually chewing on it right now...letting me get in some mdc time!

J, mama to H (8/05) and F (3/09)
#15 of 65 Old 10-09-2009, 09:10 PM

Actually, yes, LOL. I was dubious but Peepers started teething early (3 months), and it has been perfect for her since her motor control isn't as refined as an older teether. She is able to grab it and manage to get some of it in her mouth.

There are some times when Sophie is the only thing that will relax her. Worth every penny for us!

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#16 of 65 Old 10-10-2009, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post
Actually, yes, LOL. I was dubious but Peepers started teething early (3 months), and it has been perfect for her since her motor control isn't as refined as an older teether. She is able to grab it and manage to get some of it in her mouth.
That's what I like about it. Much easier for him to hold Sophie in his mouth than any of his other stuff.

Madalyn military wife to Chris & proud momma to Jonas 5/17/09
#17 of 65 Old 10-10-2009, 01:15 AM

I haven't bought a sophie for dd but I just wanted to say my dd loves to teeth on anything. mainly remotes and things not meant for babies! Her favorite toy to chew on currently is http://www.buzzillions.com/dz_319136...arbell_reviews
#18 of 65 Old 10-10-2009, 01:28 AM

Dd loved her Sophie so much she no longer has spots I had a hard time spending the money on her but it was well worth it! She still finds her once in a while and gets all excited. She also really liked Chan the mushroom looking guy.

Wife to : DH and Mama to Abigail Rose 3/30/08 :
#19 of 65 Old 10-10-2009, 01:34 AM

NAH--

ill go against the grain here-- sophie is.. well, nothing interesting. yes, she is good to chew. BUT so are a million other things in our house, including my knuckle...

there is nothing fabulous about her.

teething babies will chew ANYTHING, seriously. dont waste your money.

with love, bailey...
macey 5.18.08
#20 of 65 Old 10-10-2009, 10:50 AM

My friend's babe loves, loves her! She was so into her I decided to get one for my DS for his first birthday. Unfortunately he doesn't pay her much attention at all - at a year, perhaps he's just too into other attractions to get excited by a teether. She's a big hit with our corgi, though, especially since she squeaks!
#21 of 65 Old 10-10-2009, 03:39 PM

Not sure yet. I bought one for this baby, but he's not old enough yet.

My older son LOVED the razberry teether, and still does. I also have some of those waiting in the wings for this baby.

Cristina
CPST and mom to Toby 6/06 and Caleb 8/09
#22 of 65 Old 10-10-2009, 04:17 PM

we got one as a hand-me-down and I have to say, DD does really like her. She gives her a big smile when I pull her out. And she can manipulate her with ease. And I like that its not plastic.

however, I doubt I'd buy one new, b/c dd does like paper, shoes, big brothers' toys, washcloths, her own feet and hands, wooden spoons, any part of my body, etc.

dissertating mom to three

#23 of 65 Old 10-13-2009, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastrygirl View Post

My older son LOVED the razberry teether, and still does. I also have some of those waiting in the wings for this baby.
I have heard good things about the razberry and got one for DS3 before he was even born. He's starting to teeth now, so I am going to pull it out for him to try. I hope he likes it, b/c it's a cheap teether and easy to replace if it gets lost or I want an extra one to keep around.
#24 of 65 Old 10-13-2009, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mags View Post
I have heard good things about the razberry
nak I've heard that the razz part can separate from the ring and pose a choking hazard...anyone? this is just from reading product reviews though

Mama to Fenergy.gif(06/11/09) and baby boy C baby.gif (06/09/11) 

#25 of 65 Old 10-13-2009, 12:29 PM

Sophie is "all that" in our house! I figured that I could buy 2-3 cheap plastic, lead-contaminated teething toys, or this one all natural toy...
DD must have Sophie everywhere we go!

Me,fly-by-nursing2.gif wife to DH familybed2.gif , SAHM to DD (4/26/09) and DS (4/9/11) h20homebirth.gif cd.gif

#26 of 65 Old 10-13-2009, 04:19 PM

I love this thread! I have been so good at not falling prey to any of the parents in my area who always have to have the latest ________. I've tried to stay focused on what my dd NEEDS and loves, and not worry about what everyone else HAS. NOT that everyone here who has a sophie or loves sophie is like these parents, it's just that the scene below is where I first learned about her.

So I'm at a mommy gathering and suddenly everyone is going on and on about their "Sophie's" and I have no idea what a sophie is. Finally I blurt out "What's a Sophie?" In unison "YOU DON'T HAVE A SOPHIE??? YOU **MUST** GET A SOPHIE!"

I don't know what was going on with me that day, but the people we were visiting lived right across the street from a fancy baby store and as I went home I promptly went there, had a heart attack at the cost, and bought a Sophie anyway.

And what does dd think of it? She can take it or leave it. If I took it out of her world tomorrow, I seriously seriously doubt she'd ever notice it. She's happy to see/play with Sophie sometimes... ambivalent others.

But give this girl a clean, wet, cold washcloth and she is in HEAVEN! Never met a cold wet washcloth she didn't love...

I'm glad so many LOs love Sophie, and I do love that she's got history, is French, and is all natural. But I could easily have done without her, because dd can do without her.
#27 of 65 Old 10-13-2009, 08:11 PM

pak-

i am waiting for ours to come in. i saw this thread and had no idea what sopie was... so i looked it up and she was so cute i wanted to buy one. we're at the hands in muth stage and i'd like to give her something else to chew on. i just decided to forego something for me.

we'll see how sophie fares in our home.

Married to my best friend, expecting #1 6/09. Little angel came early- 4/10/09, 2lbs 5oz. Lilah Grace:
#28 of 65 Old 10-13-2009, 08:26 PM

Didn't work magic for my LO! He loses interest in things fast, so I should have known really. I'd say if your LO gets bored of toys fast, don't get Sophi. My son teeths on everything and anything and doesn't single out Sophi to do the job.

babyboy.gif: 01/10/2009 and 09/29/2011

#29 of 65 Old 10-13-2009, 08:31 PM

We were given one, and while it has been interesting now and again, it hasn't been used as a teether. Come to think of it, I haven't seen it for a few weeks.
#30 of 65 Old 10-13-2009, 08:54 PM

I decided against it because she's made of latex and I don't want my daughter getting a latex allergy from all that exposure.

I went to the grocery store instead and bought a two-pack of those solid silicone pacifiers. I can't remember the brand name, but they are super popular. Every place has them. My daughter won't use a pacifier, but she loves chewing on those silicone ones. The nib is really soft and the outside part is thicker and a little harder, so she can pick which side feels best. I think I paid $5 for a pack of two. We keep one in the car and one in the house.

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page