Natural chew toys - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 10-12-2009, 01:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, Seems all my 4 mo Ds wants to do these days is chew on everything that goes remotely close to his face. He's very drooly (and cute) and probably could benefit from some kind of chew toy, but I don't like the idea of him chewing on plastic. Any mamas have recommendations for things he could chew? Right now he chews on his cloth books and stuffed animals, but those even make me wonder about the dye safety.

Thanks for any ideas.

Penny4Them

grouphug.gifPenny4them  
Blessed WAH wife and mama to my happy brood jumpers.gif Dd1(7/01) Dd2(10/02) Ds (6/09) CDing & ECing works! No Circ, Make it yourself or buy something Handmade! mdcblog5.gif 

#2 of 12 Old 10-12-2009, 03:14 AM

mine likes to chew on frozen carrots. not really a toy, but natural for sure!

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

#3 of 12 Old 10-12-2009, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadiMamacita View Post
mine likes to chew on frozen carrots. not really a toy, but natural for sure!
For an older baby, yes, but not for a four month old.

Thanks for asking the question, OP! I'm looking for something similar for my 3 1/2 month old. He also chews on anything he can get near his mouth. Big sister gave him a hug this afternoon and he snagged a handful of her hair and tried to stuff it in his mouth ~ he needs chew toys!
#4 of 12 Old 10-12-2009, 03:30 AM

I gave him frozen carrots to gnaw on at 4 months.. i figured he wasnt going to get anything off of it.. its frozen and he didnt have any teeth yet! the cold seemed to feel good on his gums.

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

#5 of 12 Old 10-12-2009, 04:00 AM

I bought a wood teether from Etsy, and can't wait to see what DS thinks of it in the future.

Belly Dancing, Tattooed, Veggy, Mum to DS 8/16/09 Married to a : Tattooed Geek at home with Dot and Dash fur babies : <-- pretend I am a rat
#6 of 12 Old 10-12-2009, 04:12 AM
Banned

DD still chews on the wooden teething pegs, they are just perfect!
#7 of 12 Old 10-12-2009, 04:13 AM

I gave my baby frozen carrots at that age. He loved it!

Hi I'm Elle, a ing mama to my boy, Honeybun
#8 of 12 Old 10-12-2009, 07:19 AM

The Under The Nile fruits and veggies (particularly the green bean) was a favorite around here to chew on - also cold/wet wascloths. I also have a few of the kathy kruse dolls attached to wood teething rings and we like those

Charlotte wife to B momma to Q 2/22/09
#9 of 12 Old 10-12-2009, 11:54 AM

My DS just turned 2 months and he's already teething : ( Unfortunately, they don't really make anything for a guy his age to get us through. We found an all natural baby teether at our local farmer's market (Harry's, which is part of the Whole Foods chain). It's made out of corn starch. It's a round rattle with little rubbery feeling nubs on the outside edge, small enough that he can get one or two in his mouth to gnaw on.

Other than that, it's a clean pinkie or frozen washcloths on really bad days (although we haven't really tried that yet). I do think the carrot idea is a good one, considering they don't have teeth yet and really couldn't get anything off of it. My midwife suggested that as well.

Andi, 32 - SAHM to Aaron Patriot born at home on 8/7/09 and devoted wife to Paul. : EC, Non-Circ ::
#10 of 12 Old 10-12-2009, 12:21 PM

DD (5.5months) is absolutely obsessed with her 'Sophie the Giraffe'. It is made by Vulli, I believe. It is made of all natural rubber and is painted with food grade paint. Everyone kept telling me about how much their LO's loved this toy, so I ordered one from Amazon (my husband was unimpressed and said it looked like a dog toy until he saw how much DD loved it). It hasn't left DD's mouth since!

Me,fly-by-nursing2.gif wife to DH familybed2.gif , SAHM to DD (4/26/09) and DS (4/9/11) h20homebirth.gif cd.gif

#11 of 12 Old 10-12-2009, 12:24 PM

Here is a link for more info about "Sophie":
http://sophiegiraffeusa.com/products.html

Me,fly-by-nursing2.gif wife to DH familybed2.gif , SAHM to DD (4/26/09) and DS (4/9/11) h20homebirth.gif cd.gif

#12 of 12 Old 10-12-2009, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Another one who used the carrots a lot here. I never froze them though - just gave them to him cold from the fridge. With no teeth he couldn't get anything off & he seemed to enjoy the tiny bit of taste he'd get.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page