Dec 2008 - We're almost at a year! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-01-2009, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I haven't been following these threads very much lately. I figured I'd make up for it by starting one. We're about month away from our due dates. I was writing an eviction notice this time last year. Now I'm chasing around two little crazy spawn.

What are the big birthday plans?

How are you handling birthday + the winter holidays?

How's life adjusting and settling in for you with an extra member?

Any medical issues?

Are we walking? talking? problem solving? starting trouble?

Happy holidays and birthdays everyone!

S-d D which made them three. M grew lonely, and now there's baby D.
"Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2009, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Probably a party here with family and friends invited.

We're thinking about a party a week before his birthday. That'll put two weeks between thanksgiving/dante's b-day/christams.

Pretty good. Feels like it's always been this way.

Any medical issues?

Healthy - there must be something to that liquid gold we found.

Walking, Check. Talking, "mama" and "dada". He's a climber. In the walker, out of the walker, on the the tv stand, up the stairs, down the stairs, etc.

S-d D which made them three. M grew lonely, and now there's baby D.
"Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?"
Old 11-01-2009, 02:48 PM

A party, probably at my parent's house because it is bigger, then another a week later at DH's mom's house in NY

Being thankful that he's too small to really have present overload this year, and hoping that we'll have a good way to handle it next year...at least Dec 8 isn't super close to x-mas

We're pretty used to it...it really does feel like it's always been this way...it feels SO strange if we leave him with my mom and it's just the two of us and all I am carrying is a purse!

Any medical issues?

Thankfully none so far beyond a little bug a month or two ago.

Cruising all over the place, but not walking unassisted yet...army crawled forever and has finally decided to crawl up on his hands and knees...babbling, but no real talking, mama, dada, nana are the noises, but I'm not totally sure he's directing them at us for real, dada may be closest. He's getting really good at problem solving with his toys, I'm so proud when I see him figure something out

Judy treehugger.gif wife to Brandon 7.15.06 -- Mama to Micah Rowan 12.08.08 -- EBF, babywearing, selective/delayed vax (none so far) -- expecting baby #2 in March 2012 and planning a homebirth!

Old 11-02-2009, 12:02 AM

Not so big. He's one of three, and his big brother's birthday is only three days before his. I think the big guy will have his party the first weekend in December, and baby Odin will have his on his actual birthday, which is the 12th -- it's a Saturday this year.

We've had a few years to learn this one, since my firstborn (about to turn 7) went quite a bit past his Nov. 28 due date and, after my 2-day posterior labor, was finally born December 9. We tend to overinvite and always do birthday parties at home -- then if everyone comes down with the flu at the last minute, we're not out $200+ for party facility rental. Besides, my kids prefer home parties. Sometimes flu season is no big deal and we wind up with a fire-hazard number of kids in our living room for a couple of hours, but I can deal once a year.

My big kids adore the baby. That's a nice bonus. He was a surprise for me, because I had hoped to stop at two kids, but I've been so happy with him. I had very severe PPD after my second little one was born -- I really should probably have been hospitalized, but somehow made it through, but this time I just ate my own placenta and it was no big deal! It's always a hassle having an infant in the house, but it's getting easier. And I love my wee Odin. He's so amazingly awesome, even though he's the worst sleeper I've ever had.

Any medical issues?

Just a bit of a runny nose at the moment. Doesn't seem to bother him, so I'm not worried. No chronic issues at all. He doesn't weigh very much, but grows fine now that he's settled into his own curve.

He walks a little -- not across the room, yet, but will walk rather than crawl from one piece of furniture to the next. He says "Dada" and "Hi." No "mama" yet. He's a very peaceful, mellow little guy, but does love to climb things. We've had to reinstall several baby gates where we had taken them down, thinking we were done with babies. He can get upstairs and into the big kids' rooms or the litterbox or the bathroom really fast and really quietly now. He loves to eat and nurse and will cry and cry when he gets hungry until I drop everything and sit down and feed him. He's also a master of finding little pieces of stuff -- paper or cellophane or whatever -- and putting them in his mouth. Once this summer I had to rescue a live inchworm from his little hand -- he was about to taste it!

Nealy
mama to Thales, 6; Lydia, 3; and Odin, 12/12/08
Old 11-02-2009, 12:48 AM

I can't believe how close we are to birthdays!!! How did that happen?

What are the big birthday plans? We are traveling back "home" to St. Louis for Christmas, and will have a party there. Just immediate family and a few of our friends that we haven't seen since we moved in Feb. I only know the guest list so far. I'm not going to go all out or anything, just something simple. I may do something here with our friends, too. It all depends on budget.

How are you handling birthday + the winter holidays? We will handle them separately. His birthday party will be a few days before Christmas.

How's life adjusting and settling in for you with an extra member? Life is awesome. I love this little guy so much. Before he was born I wasn't sure how it would work, how my heart could love someone else as much as my first baby. But now I know. He makes me melt every single day.

Any medical issues?
He is still allergic to dairy, as is DS1, so we are a dairy free family. DH is just along for the ride. He also has an issue with his feet where they turn in and under. It is hereditary, my mom, brother and nephew all had it. Right now we are keeping shoes on him to try to correct it. If it doesn't self correct as he starts walking we may have to do corrective braces of some kind. If that didn't work we'd look at PT or surgery. But I've seen improvement in the past few months so I'm hopeful that it will all work out on its own.

Walking...he took 4 steps yesterday. I think he is just on the cusp of going for it. Talking...no. I think he says bath. He babbles mama and dada, but I'm not convinced that he is consistent enough to consider the babble actual words. Problem solving...oh yes. He is a "figure out how everything works" kind of kid. He is way too smart for me. I've had to baby proof everything. Which leads to Starting trouble....YES. His nickname is "The Rascal". He looooves to start trouble and gives me the greatest grin when he does it. He knows when he is doing something he shouldn't, and it just makes him laugh. I love it.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:06 PM

What are the big birthday plans?We are having a birthday party at my parents bc it's the standard meeting place for everyone being in the middle of everyone. His bday is the 14th which is on a monday so we will more than likely have it on that saturday. His theme will be monkey...bc that's what we call him.

How are you handling birthday + the winter holidays?his bday falls a couple of weeks before Christmas so no worries here. We will always have a seperate bday party for him with seperate Christmas presents...I dont want him to not get to celebrate both.

It REALLY does seem like it's been this way forever! How weird! It still seems small though...like we are missing some...

Any medical issues? None at all. He has been sick maybe 2/3 times but nothing serious.

Are we walking? talking? problem solving? starting trouble?WALKING EVERYWHERE! He talks NON STOP...dada, mama, uh oh, bye, hello, sldfhlsdku, sdfhfsdlkfg LOL! He never stops! Loves walking at malls bc he has so much room! LOL He is such a thinker. Always trying to figure it out. He is his fathers son. He is such a good baby...no trouble starting here..yet...

<<<<<<<<we are going to TTC in Jan!!!! Wish me luck! (we didn't have to try for Evan, first time...so I hope it goes the same this time!!!)>>>>>>>>>
Old 11-03-2009, 03:43 PM

We are having just close family over for some cake (DS was born Dec. 22) and then having a big "Half Birthday" party this June

We are celebrating both but only giving xmas gifts.. birthday gifts will on at his half birthday party. I know that the grandparents are still buying gifts for both though..

Life is absolutly wonderful! I can't imagine it any other way. I feel like the luckiest person in the world ♥ I go back to work Decemeber 14th which will take some getting used to! ill be going 5 days a week but only 6 hours a day, DH will be home with DS and then when I get home he'll go to work. As much as I dread going back to work, it somehow feels ok because DH will be with our little guy.

Any medical issues?
none

walking he took his first two independant steps between furniture the other day, but rarely pulls himself to a standing or sitting for that matter. If we put him stand he cruises all over the place.. Talking "mama" "dad" "dada" and lots of blabbling! DS also made his first ASL sign back to us last week! he made the sign for "more". DS crawls in a circle and backwards, no forwards at all, no matter how hard he tries. I picked up a rubber mat for him to see if that makes a difference - we don't have any carpet in our house.. problem solving im blown away with how quickly he figures out how things work! I guess that makes up for his lack or forward crawling starting trouble I like to call it 'exploring'

ETA: DS is also doing great with EC!

Serena - married to Jason, mom to Sebastian (b.12.22.2008) and Poppy (b.07.07.2011) ♥

Old 11-03-2009, 05:16 PM

Hi everyone It's the two-week countdown for us and Evangeline's first birthday!!!! Unbelievable

We are having a birthday brunch with some friends and family on her bday since it's a Saturday (Nov 21)

Thanksgiving is the next weekend and we are having a very low-key weekend We are going to Germany for the holidays so I know that our family will want to celebrate her bday again

DH always says that he couldn't imagine having a boring baby. Evangeline is non-stop from as soon as she wakes up until when she passes out at night. I am thrilled to have such a sweet, loving, adventurous girl.

Any medical issues?
She still has GERD but other than that we have had no issues

She started walking at 10.5 months and she's like the tasmanian devil now! She loves loves loves being a bi-ped.

Our big news is that we are expecting our second in May It's a really happy time for our family.

Walking in the light with DH, DD (11/08), DS (4/10) , four dogs, and one insouciant cat.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:03 PM

Hi all, this is my first post in a Dec 08 mamas thread but I love reading them! DD was born right before X-mas, so...

Honestly, I just feel like since she doesn't know her birthday, this 1st birthday is all about the fact that my body participated in this MIRACLE a year ago! But the grandparents aren't interested in celebrating me, it's all about DD, so hopefully we'll be able to visit at least 1 set of grandparents for her actual birthday, then make the rounds over the holidays to the other sets.

This year we're not worrying about separating them, but next year I'm starting to fulfill the promise I made to my adult friends who were born around the holidays: a birthday party at her half birthday, and another birthday party in early Dec, so she really feels like she's celebrated separately from the holidays. My friends made me promise, cuz they're still traumatized by getting bundled up in the holidays and only 1 combo present!

It's a pleasure to adjust life (and keep adjusting) for her. She was up a lot last night, bummer for me and my workday today, but it's the best reason for being tired.

Any medical issues?
Extremely grateful to answer no.

If she could spend all day holding my fingers and walking all over the apt she would! Loves walking but can't do it on her own yet. She's just getting the hang of standing on her own, which she kinda has down now. She's definitely problem-solving, and I am always so thrilled to watch her try and try again, get frustrated and turn away, then turn back and keep trying til she gets it. Love that "I'm gonna make this happen!" spirit!

And today was a new first, we were watching Agent Oso as I got her dressed (yup, I let her watch about 15 min of tv in the morning, usually while I make her lunch) and there is this "3 special steps" song they always sing, and today she not only danced and waved her hands in the air (which she's done before), today she tried to sing along!!! I could actually hear her trying to sing, she got the rhythm down anyway if not quite the melody.

She's quite a talker, but the only words she says in context are "mama" (she even said it this week to get my attention, which was a 1st), "dada" when she sees daddy, "dog" (more like "da") and pointing when she sees a dog. and "bye" while waving, which she says at hello and goodbye. She can kinda repeat other words when you teach them to her, but she doesn't say them on her own out of the blue yet.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:04 PM

I am really bad about replying to any of these threads, although I try to keep up reading them.....

What are the big birthday plans?/ What are the big birthday plans? Tessa was born the day after Xmas, so we will do a little party either that day since it's a Saturday this year, or the weekend before-just DH's family and a few friends. Then starting next year we will do half b-days after this.

How's life adjusting and settling in for you with an extra member? We have had a bit of a hard time, honestly....both kids are high needs and very intense and don't sleep much, plus DH has been working a LOT, so it's like I went from 2 parents with 1 kid to one parent with 2 kids. But I can't imagine not having her here!

Any medical issues? Dairy and soy intolerance leading to GERD, although things are mostly under control since I have had them out of my diet since she was about 3 weeks old. She also has some sensory issues due to a posterior tongue tie that are MUCH improved. AND she's been falling off her growth curve, although she seems perfectly fine. But obviously, compared to the medical isues some people have to deal with, these are all small potatoes.

Are we walking? talking? problem solving? starting trouble? No walking all alone yet, but cruising all over the place. She has stood by herself for a few seconds here and there. She's a big climber. She says "mama" although I'm not sure it's in context. DS didn't really say anything until about 11 1/2 months and then just took off, so I'm hoping she'll do the same. Problem solving- yep, she's our little watcher- just figuring stuff out. And definitely starting to cause trouble- boy does she have a temper! (just like her brother, lord have mercy on us all!) She claps, waves, does the milk sign, and is learning how to give a kiss.

She's just a delight, even when she's being a handful. DS calls her "our little sweetheart" and she is definitely that!!

Congrats Starfish!! We have bo plans to TTC again until next year, probably around this time, if we do it at all!!

Kelly, wife to DH, mom to Caden Reese (10-2-06), Tessa Brynn (12-26-08 ), and Maddox Quinn (7-16-11). Fur-mama to Finnegan, Ripley, Raisin (my little kitty amputee) and Kimchi. 748/2011, 2028/2012-I did it!! 2023/2013-Again!!! 404/2014
Old 11-04-2009, 11:06 PM

I am really bad about replying to any of these threads, although I try to keep up reading them.....

What are the big birthday plans?/ How are you handling birthday + the winter holidays? Tessa was born the day after Xmas, so we will do a little party either that day since it's a Saturday this year, or the weekend before-just DH's family and a few friends. Then starting next year we will do half b-days after this.

How's life adjusting and settling in for you with an extra member? We have had a bit of a hard time, honestly....both kids are high needs and very intense and don't sleep much, plus DH has been working a LOT, so it's like I went from 2 parents with 1 kid to one parent with 2 kids. But I can't imagine not having her here!

Any medical issues? Dairy and soy intolerance leading to GERD, although things are mostly under control since I have had them out of my diet since she was about 3 weeks old. She also has some sensory issues due to a posterior tongue tie that are MUCH improved. AND she's been falling off her growth curve, although she seems perfectly fine. But obviously, compared to the medical isues some people have to deal with, these are all small potatoes.

Are we walking? talking? problem solving? starting trouble? No walking all alone yet, but cruising all over the place. She has stood by herself for a few seconds here and there. She's a big climber. She says "mama" although I'm not sure it's in context. DS didn't really say anything until about 11 1/2 months and then just took off, so I'm hoping she'll do the same. Problem solving- yep, she's our little watcher- just figuring stuff out. And definitely starting to cause trouble- boy does she have a temper! (just like her brother, lord have mercy on us all!) She claps, waves, does the milk sign, and is learning how to give a kiss.

She's just a delight, even when she's being a handful. DS calls her "our little sweetheart" and she is definitely that!!

Congrats Starfish!! We have no plans to TTC again until next year, probably around this time, if we do it at all!!

Kelly, wife to DH, mom to Caden Reese (10-2-06), Tessa Brynn (12-26-08 ), and Maddox Quinn (7-16-11). Fur-mama to Finnegan, Ripley, Raisin (my little kitty amputee) and Kimchi. 748/2011, 2028/2012-I did it!! 2023/2013-Again!!! 404/2014
Old 11-05-2009, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swandira View Post

He's also a master of finding little pieces of stuff -- paper or cellophane or whatever -- and putting them in his mouth. Once this summer I had to rescue a live inchworm from his little hand -- he was about to taste it!
Oh, thank goodness I'm not the only one. I'm a bit worse though. So far, I've rescued a live earwig from her mouth (shudder. ugh), not been quick enough to rescue an earthworm (extra protein?), and managed to keep one of those massive ants out of her mouth.

I have no idea what we're doing for dd's birthday this year. We're, unexpectedly, still living with the in-laws while dh job hunts. They will totally take over a birthday party, and we don't have friends with small children here yet, so I think we may just do a family thing at the house. I did get dd a doll, which she's going to be excited about. She found one at the library the other day and would. not. stop kissing, hugging, and poking at it. Her new cousin gets the same treatment, but is, unfortunately, not quite as hardy as an inanimate object.

Maren is not yet walking, though she cruises the furniture and can get both up and down after pulling to a stand. The down part was a big accomplishment, and no one was more excited than I, who no longer had to come rescue her every time she wanted to sit down from a stand.
She has a heap of sounds, and a few signs, but I don't think she's really connecting the sound to a person/thing. She was saying "bye" until a few weeks ago, but has suddenly dropped it from her vocabulary. She's also started banging her head into the wall repeatedly. I don't think she's on the spectrum, but I still find myself worrying a bit.
She (still) sleeps wretchedly, awfully, horrifically! She's up every 1-3 hours through the night and requires a good hour to 1.5 hours of intensive attention to fall asleep. I go through phases of being zen about this, followed by phases where I consider throwing one, or both, of us out the window.
No medical issues, but we were all exposed to H1N1 a few days ago. So far, so good though. As long as we don't all get it simultaneously, I think we'll manage.

I can NOT believe our babes are almost a year. Holy. We're thinking about #2, crazy enough. I thought I wanted 2-3 years between babies, and I still do, but my prolapse issues from dd's pregnancy are continuing to deteriorate and I've passed from being a surgical candidate to being on the "surgery is required yesterday" list. Since the baby-having has to happen pre-surgery, I think we'll start round two of the donor adventure in January. Crazy, crazy. I just pray we wind up with a better sleeper next time! I'm really excited to see dd with a sibling though.

I know a few of you are already cooking another babe - how's it going this time around?

For greater things are yet to come...

Old 11-06-2009, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selkat View Post
She (still) sleeps wretchedly, awfully, horrifically! She's up every 1-3 hours through the night and requires a good hour to 1.5 hours of intensive attention to fall asleep. I go through phases of being zen about this, followed by phases where I consider throwing one, or both, of us out the window.
Micah too Luckily he only requires the hour+ routine just at the beginning, not every time he wakes up, but it's still extremely trying. I long for even 5 hours of uninterrupted sleep! I read the No Cry Sleep Solution, but have yet to try to implement anything from it...I'm trying to get DH to read it too so we can do it together, but he's not a big reader, at least of that sort of thing. Currently we have his crib sidecarred, but he only spends the first bit of the night in it, and then I am usually too tired and just fall asleep nursing him after he wakes up, rather than staying up and putting him back in after he falls asleep again. I don't really mind bedsharing, but I never intended to do it, just planned to cosleep. I just don't want to end up with him in our bed when he is older, and I REALLY want to get him sleeping for longer at a time than he does. He's only ok with the crib if we put him in there after he falls asleep, though he has been waking up a little better in there, not freaking out immediately when he realized that's where he is...I also never expected to still be nursing this often through the night at this age. Any advice is totally welcomed, like the PP I go through phases of being ok about it and loving snuggling all night, followed by moments of bitterness about not being able to just sprawl and snore like DH where I consider the window for one or both of us as well...

Judy treehugger.gif wife to Brandon 7.15.06 -- Mama to Micah Rowan 12.08.08 -- EBF, babywearing, selective/delayed vax (none so far) -- expecting baby #2 in March 2012 and planning a homebirth!

Old 11-07-2009, 01:09 AM

What are the big birthday plans? We will be away from family/friends, but will host the playgroup that week and have a cake. Might do something after Christmas while we are in the States but not sure yet.

How's life adjusting and settling in for you with an extra member? For the most part it seems like it has always been this way. But every once in a while I get a little shock of realization that I'm a mom and it seems kind a crazy. Like yesterday I was rushing to get us out of the house and I was brushing my teeth, while holding Hazel and I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror and had a little warm happy feeling rush over my body.

Any medical issues? Hazel has congenital hypothyroidism and takes a pill every day of synthetic hormone to correct it. Otherwise, she is the picture of health. No colds yet!!

Are we walking? talking? problem solving? starting trouble? Hazel was late to roll and crawl but she is quite mobile now. Not walking unassisted, but cruising and climbing. I am curious to see when walking will happen and if it will be a bit late like everything else. She babbles a lot, but I still wouldn't say she has any real words. We did have a comprehension EXPLOSION though in the last month. She knows mama, dada, and cat as well as the names of several body parts and many of her toys. Right now it is a very useful diversionary tactic.. "Hazel, where is your bunny?" and off she goes to retrieve it!! LOL!! She doesn't seem to be much for trouble making. She can certainly raise a stink when she feels like it, but she is pretty good about not getting into things and has a sort of careful disposition (if that makes any sense). We've had lots and lots of sleep struggles but we're in a very good place right now for naps and nighttime. She doesn't sleep 8 interrupted hours or anything, but we're all happy with how things are going and that is what matters to me!!

Great to catch up!!

New mommy 12/12/08.  Living and working in the Pacific Northwest. 
Currently growing number two!
5+++1sttri.gif10----15----20----25----30----35----40
Old 11-09-2009, 02:00 PM

We're going to do what we did with the #1 and not do parties til they have friends they want to invite. So just cake and a few presents at home with us and big brother. I also got her a special doll - I still have my first doll, and also my mom's first doll, so I thought it would be a fun tradition.
Much easier now; the first 4 months were so hard - we went from 1 to 2, and it just blew me away. The logistics of napping, feeding, bath, bedtime, getting out of the house - it was so hard. It's much easier now that Marley is on a regular schedule.
Any medical issues?
Absolutely none. Also I got an easy teether.
Not quite walking, but lots of standing and doing things, and lots of cruising. One of the pps mentioned that her baby would only walk while holding a hand - my first did that too! He took his first steps around 12 months, but wouldn't walk on his own til about 17 months. The good thing is that when they do start doing it on their own, they're excellent walkers. Anyway, Marley is not talking yet either, but lots of babbling, very complex it seems to me, and lots of imitation. She says mama and dada, but not always context-appropriately.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I absolutely CANNOT believe we are coming up on one year! It is so hard to wrap my brain around it. I remember this time last year like it was just minutes ago - what he felt like in my belly, the anticipation, the hope....

What are the big birthday plans? I haven't been able to come up with any celebration that could possible do justice to the joy this little man brings us, to the miracle that he is. We will probably have a nice party with family and friends. Hmmm, I should probably send an invite out soon with the holidays and all....

How's life adjusting and settling in for you with an extra member? Wonderful. We are so in love with our little guy. He melts our hearts daily. We are very busy because DH works so hard (50+ hr/wk). I know he misses the family time. When he is home though, he can't get enough of the kiddos. Although we had planned on only having 2 kiddos, I know DH and I both think about having another.

Any medical issues? Will has eosinophilic proctocolitis - a type of food allergy that causes GI bleeding. Not terribly serious though. He and I are off wheat and dairy and have been since last May. He is only just now beginning to actually eat (and not just play with or spit out) food - rice pasta, green beans, puffed rice, freeze-dried apples - these are his faves. He only consumes a tablespoon in one sitting though. I provide the rest of his nourishment.

Are we walking? Not yet. Talking? Cat, dog, and lots of copy-catting. Problem solving? Ohhhh, yes. He is very good at manipulating his surroundings. Starting trouble? Not yet...

Great to "see" everyone!

Marine ecologist wife to my kite-boarding soulmate and now a homeschooling SAHM to Annabelle 8/02 and Willem 12/08!
Old 11-12-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris5426 View Post
Micah too Luckily he only requires the hour+ routine just at the beginning, not every time he wakes up, but it's still extremely trying. I long for even 5 hours of uninterrupted sleep! I read the No Cry Sleep Solution, but have yet to try to implement anything from it...I'm trying to get DH to read it too so we can do it together, but he's not a big reader, at least of that sort of thing. Currently we have his crib sidecarred, but he only spends the first bit of the night in it, and then I am usually too tired and just fall asleep nursing him after he wakes up, rather than staying up and putting him back in after he falls asleep again. I don't really mind bedsharing, but I never intended to do it, just planned to cosleep. I just don't want to end up with him in our bed when he is older, and I REALLY want to get him sleeping for longer at a time than he does. He's only ok with the crib if we put him in there after he falls asleep, though he has been waking up a little better in there, not freaking out immediately when he realized that's where he is...I also never expected to still be nursing this often through the night at this age. Any advice is totally welcomed, like the PP I go through phases of being ok about it and loving snuggling all night, followed by moments of bitterness about not being able to just sprawl and snore like DH where I consider the window for one or both of us as well...
Sounds like we're in the same boat! Sebatian seems to be going through phases, the last month he has been up every 2-3 hours, but the last couple of nights he's only woken up once to eat! he even had a period of almost 7 hours straight! last night he did 5 hours straight. He is getting much easier to get back to sleep after he wakes up now, but still takes about 30-1.5 mins of holding/rocking to get him down. I go back to work next month and am worried about how ill function without a good nights sleep, im hoping he just all of a sudden figures it out heeehee

Serena - married to Jason, mom to Sebastian (b.12.22.2008) and Poppy (b.07.07.2011) ♥

Old 11-18-2009, 11:51 PM

I love reading about everyone's babes! I also can't believe we're coming up on 1yr.

Party at one of those "pizza and skeeball" places. Mostly to entertain DD's older cousins. I was sort of stressing about the venue, but it won't be super-expensive....it may be super-chaotic, though. We'll see!

I think we're handling it well. DD's birthday is a good 2wks after Thanksgiving and about 2wks before Christmas, so we have buffer time between all these events. I'm not too stressed out about it.

It's great! DP is going to school full time and working full time, so he is missing DD a LOT. Other than that, I think we have a good routine going. Everything seems so "normal."

Any medical issues?
None at all. We're very lucky.

Walking...YES. DD has, as of about two days ago, started walking EVERYWHERE. Like, literally across our apartment. (it's not a big apartment, but still, she's little!) Oh, and she's also falling down a lot....and our downstairs neighbor hates us, and we get bangs from down below sometimes.
Talking, yes. She will sit there and blabber on about who knows what. She says mama and dada of course. I have a feeling this little girl is going to be a talker.
Problem solving, yes! DD likes to know how things work. She will sit there and figure things out. It's so neat to watch. She also tends to get frustrated when she can't figure something out.
Starting trouble, ugh, yes. She gets into everything she shouldnt, puts everything in her mouth, and will actually flee from DP and myself when we go to get something from her mouth or to get her away from things she shouldn't be playing with.

DD had her first taste of gum the other day. Good ol DP dropped some on the floor, DD found it, and happily chewed it. I don't think DD has eaten any bugs, at least that I know of. I'm looking forward to what the next year brings us.

Good luck to those TTC!!

Rebecca DP
our baby girl (12/2008)
Old 11-19-2009, 03:13 PM

What are the big birthday plans? Nothing really big - probably just some cake and ice cream and some presents.

How are you handling birthday + the winter holidays? I don't know. My guy's birthday is at the beginning of the month so maybe it won't be lost in the shuffle as much. I do plan to keep things separate and acknowledge both days on their own.

How's life adjusting and settling in for you with an extra member? It's been pretty good, but now that our three year old (birthday is today!) is going to preschool, I seem to be the taxi driver. Luckily, our oldest doesn't have to be driven to school. We're adding another member of the family in mid to late April.

Any medical issues? Not really, an ear infection and pink eye, but that's about it this year.

Are we walking? talking? problem solving? starting trouble? No walking, but the cruises on furniture. No real talking, but he babbles. Problem solving? He can figure out how to get something he really wants. Starting trouble? Not yet, but right now his older brother has a corner on that. LOL

I recently changed my username, but I still say "Hello" to all those who know me in real life! Hi P, S, T and K!
Old 11-30-2009, 06:34 PM

Quote:
What are the big birthday plans? We'll be at the in-laws over Christmas so we'll do a little family party, but I'm going to make a fun, layered cake and let her dig into the top tier.

How are you handling birthday + the winter holidays? Again, we'll be with family so this year we'll just give her a couple more presents. I guess we'll figure out things more as she gets older. I want to make sure her birthday is always special.

How's life adjusting and settling in for you with an extra member? Wonderfully! She adds so much to our life and we can't imagine not having her! My DH is much sweeter and more tender now and loves having her "help" him with things.

Any medical issues? No! Praise the Lord! We are blessed. Nothing more than two colds and a very tiny fever.

Are we walking? talking? problem solving? starting trouble? YES!! She's been walking since her 10 mo. birthday and since 10.5 months she prefers that to crawling. It has opened up a lot of territory for her but she is pretty good about staying out of trouble. She loves to watch things and tries to mimic us sometimes.
oh and....

WE'RE PREGNANT!!!
It's still very early but DH and I are both thrilled. Due date is around the beginning of August.

Happily married to my sweet DH with two precious girls (12/08) and (8/10) and a crazy puppy dog. Expecting blessing #3 around 12/10.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smerkin View Post
oh and....

WE'RE PREGNANT!!!
It's still very early but DH and I are both thrilled. Due date is around the beginning of August.
YAY!!! Are you in the DDC? I've been stalking it...we started TTC this month and I'm *patiently* waiting to find out! I should find out in the next week....hopefully earlier.

Wouldn't that be FUNNY if we were in 2 DDC together!!!!

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-01-2009, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smerkin View Post
oh and....

WE'RE PREGNANT!!!
CONGRATS!!

Rebecca DP
our baby girl (12/2008)
Old 12-02-2009, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferadurham View Post
YAY!!! Are you in the DDC? I've been stalking it...we started TTC this month and I'm *patiently* waiting to find out! I should find out in the next week....hopefully earlier.

Wouldn't that be FUNNY if we were in 2 DDC together!!!!

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That would be awesome!! Best wishes!! Hope to "see" you there soon.

Happily married to my sweet DH with two precious girls (12/08) and (8/10) and a crazy puppy dog. Expecting blessing #3 around 12/10.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:41 PM

There is a cake in the oven as I type this... because........ TODAY IS HIS BIRTHDAY!!!! Aside from some cake and some present opening we might go out to a mexican resturant. Our daughter has had all 4 of her birthday's at a particular mexican resturant that is about 5 blocks from our house and if we can figure out how to pay for it, the 4 of us will probably go after dh's gets home from work. Family has been visiting over the last week with birthday wishes. My dad's 72nd birthday was yesterday. He came over and the two birthday boys danced and sang to some 50's music in the living room.

Birthday is easy. He isn't old enough to care about having a party and a bunch of guests. I'm so happy to see my baby grow but kinda sad at the same time yk. I look at pics and remember when he was tiny... ALMOST makes me want another baby.... but, not. Not going to have another. Winter has been easy so far. Cold but, no snow. I'm happy with that. I don't mind the ability to cover up my spare tire with sweatshirts either!

Easier than adjusting to my first. Breastfeeding is still going well despite having thrush again. Pain set in a few days ago. While I think ds has been generalyl easier than dd was at the same age, most of the ease could probably be contributed to by my being better educated and mentally and emotionally prepared.

Any medical issues?
With Ds? His pulmonary stenosis has gotten a tad bit worse since discovered at 4 months but, still not needing any intervention. If he does need some intervention at some point I've been assured it's a simple procedure, nothing is implanted permenatly, and it has no effect on his activity level. Me? LOTS of medical issues. I'm actually very ill. Can't afford to see the specialists I need to see or even a regular doc different from my primary. Can't get insurance. Chairty program only allows me to see one doc and he said daignosing me is beyond him at this point. Not good.

All of the above! Been walking since 9-9.5 months. Now running and climbing! He says, mama, dada, sisssss (for sister), and key (kitty). He can identify lots of things around the house. If we say them he can find and point to them correctly. He also makes engine noises every time he plays with a toy car or truck. The noises are actually pretty accurate! Lots of trouble starting. Stealing dog kibbles and eating them, pushing large objects over to the window so he can climb up and see outside, figuring out the various locks around the house, figuring out how to open the gate in the hallway. He also figured out how to open the fridge by himself this week.

~TRACY, wife to loving dh, mommy to dd (10/05), ds(12/08), 3 kitties, & 2 pups.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:35 AM

Hey there, mamas!

I was an infrequent (okay, almost never) poster but often lurker on the original DDC. Life was a bit traumatic during my pregnancy and it seemed easier/safer to stay offline, but I still craved the camaraderie of other pregnant women. I'm sorry I wasn't around to get to know you ladies better.

I came here looking for the group because I thought you might be talking about gifts for your little ones in a few weeks, and I was looking for inspiration. But I read through all of the responses (so far) and had to add my own info, as well as congratulate you all on your journey so far. Your babes sound wonderful, and extra congrats to all the mamas who are pregnant again.

(*sigh*) DS was born on the 25th, so I am staring down the barrel of this dilemma every year for the rest of our lives . . . and I do not know what to do. I think after this we're going to do half-birthdays, which is also somewhat problematic because June 25th is the day after a big holiday for our family and will regularly intersect with a big community camping weekend. But, what can you do?

This year, we will be heading to DH's family's celebration on the 25th, but I am going to try to make the 24th a special one for our immediate family and a couple of close friends--the women who were at DS's birth (and preceding days of labor). Fire in the fireplace, pajamas on, some cozy food & beverages--we were cocooned together in a snowstorm for days leading up to his birth and the week after, so it feels like a time to pull in close and reminisce.

Life has been crazy, hectic, and absolutely wonderful with DS in it. His big sister is madly, completely, head-over-heels in love with him and has been since the day he was born. The feeling is absolutely mutual. Our biggest challenge has been the fact that she wants to pick him UP all the time, and the size difference is just way too small for that.
During my pregnancy I was helping take care of my dad in the end of his life; we moved into a new house when I was 36w pregnant; DS was born, had a cold by the time he was 6d old, and we both developed a wicked case of thrush when he was 3w old; my dad died the day before DS hit 4w. It was a rather roller-coaster start to his little life, and one thing we noticed was that from the moment he was born he has been a total ray of sunshine. Not to say that he never cries (the boy can HOWL!) or sleeps wonderfully (he sleeps like a baby) or is an "easy" baby (he has his challenges, like almost all babies) . . . but he has been a joyful little soul, and a source of joy for everyone around him, since the beginning. When he was newly born, he was laid back and uncomplaining about all the driving to doctor's visits and then hospice for my dad. When he was sick (I had thrush on my nipples that hurt like crazy, but this poor boy had it in his mouth AND major diaper involvement that looked awful), he was as patient as could be about all the topical treatments and the weeks of healing. He's just a smiling, happy, agreeable baby that gives out a lot of shining love to everyone who holds him or interacts with him.

Any medical issues?
We've had several colds (DS got that first one at six days old, courtesy of DD) and a bout with the flu. Other than that (and the agonizing bout with thrush in the beginning), we've been fairly healthy. We are very blessed.

Walking: he cruises holding on to furniture (or adult hands) like a champ, and will stand unassisted only when he is holding onto a surface and then gets distracted by things he can pick up--he'll fill both hands and just stand there, seemingly unaware that he *IS* standing on his own. We figure once he notices that, it will be a quick leap to his first steps.
Talking: he says "mama" for me. He also uses the "ma" sound for other things, but clearly knows that it means something with me--a couple of weeks ago he was quite congested from a cold and was saying (what I thought was) "BA ba ba ba ba" from his carseat behind me. I was playing along, and repeating his words, and he kept getting more insistent. When he got frustrated, I tried changing it to "MA ma ma ma ma" and he sat silent for a minute and then giggled and started playing again. I felt bad that the poor little guy was so stuffed up that he couldn't make himself understood.
Other than that, though, he is a babbler and a pointer and a SHOUTer. (We've been calling him Dino Baby for most of his life because of the noises he makes.) He KNOWS what many signs mean, but seems to have absolutely no motivation to use them because he is so good at getting his point across by pointing and bellowing. Ah, well; at least the signs help us communicate with him . . .
Problem solving: ohhhh yes, it has been really interesting to watch him figure out how things work. He has a level of focus that his sister did not have at the same age, and so we will watch him repeat a process over and over with a very serious, studious expression on his face. It's priceless.
Starting trouble: He is a delightful baby with a definite knack for finding the least appropriate item to play with/eat in a room and going STRAIGHT for it. At a Halloween gathering indoors, he was crawling around on the floor and picked something up. My husband asked for it, and DS handed it over (he IS great about that, thankfully; he will hand over anything he picks up if you request it), and it was a live bee. Months before that DH had broken a glass in the kitchen and we had kept the area clear while we picked up, swept, and cleaned the area. Less than an hour later I saw DS pick something up and start to put it in his mouth--asked for it and received a small chunk of glass that had escaped DH's attention when he was cleaning.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:48 PM

One year?? really?

Ziya's b-day is tomorrow and his 'uncle' terrance is taking us out to lunch while daddy's at work. we did a family party over Thanksgiving. My sister made a crayon cake and we took the obligatory face in cake pics.

life is good. I wish i could master washing my hair with baby in the shower so it's been a bit of a greasy year for me

Any medical issues?
We have some kind of allergy I can't figure out. After heading to the park he always ends up with a rash, bt it's not worth fussing about.
not walking alone yet but doing everything else. The kid is a climber! get himself in his highchair. pushes high chair to t.v. to climb up and stand on the dresser. gets out of his crib/pack n play. climbs over safety gates. I can wait for the walking, then he'll be unstoppable! he knows dada and ma and chats in little person language to anything that won't leave. recently he's figured out how to turn the phone on, clapping, waving and "touchdown"

[
Old 12-08-2009, 01:11 PM

I started a thread in the TODDLERS forum

come join me!!

New mommy 12/12/08.  Living and working in the Pacific Northwest. 
Currently growing number two!
5+++1sttri.gif10----15----20----25----30----35----40
Old 12-08-2009, 02:22 PM

We had planned a Winter Onederland party for his birthday (the 19th). I was making yarn snowballs, we were going to have juice sno-cones, Pin the nose on Frosty (probably more like "eat Frosty's nose...), etc. Sadly, no one we invited (out of 15 invitations) can make it so I guess it will just be us I now know better than to plan his party so close to the holidays--everyone is leaving town! Next year, earlier party!

We actually have 2 birthdays right before Christmas. DS is on the 19th, DH is on the 20th. I'm thinking we'll try and have 2 separate dinners/cakes because DH isn't real excited about sharing his special day Oh, and our anniversary is the 27th, so add in Christmas and New Years and we'll be about partied out for the year!

Wonderful. I can't imagine him not being here. I am so happy he is in our lives.

Any medical issues?

He has only had 3 colds since birth. About halfway through his 3rd one now, actually. Makes my heart so sad to hear him cough, though He also has some mild eczema. We've found a few things that aggravate it that we try and avoid: almonds, some dairy (not cheese, though...), and polyester clothing. He also is allergic to cinnamon. If it touches him, he gets a bright red, bumpy rash.

Took off walking at 10 months and is nearly running. He loves doing laps around the house! He is also a climber and I've found him inside our fireplace more than once He says mama, dada, dog (dod), duck (dut), light (dit), and to my dismay, NO. That just started this week. Ugg. He signs dog and all done. We love watching him problem solve! Just this week he figured out how to turn on the light switch. He's been able to turn it off for a couple weeks, but now can flip the switch up as well. Aww.

He does get into lots of "trouble"--eating lots of paper, pebbles, cardboard, fuzz, you name it. He's fascinated with cords and outlets. And toilets. And the refrigerator. And the dog's teeth (weird, I know...he loves to pet his teeth...). We've been introducing the sign for "stop" to indicate which things he should not touch. So far, he laughs every time we do it. So as you can see, it's pretty effective

We still struggle with sleep. Although, it has been getting a bit easier. We used to start him in his crib, then bring him in with us when we went to bed. He would wake up 2-3 times between going down and joining us. Just last week, we got a twin mattress and put that on the floor. Now he starts there and will stay asleep at least 3 hours before waking. I have been joining him there and staying the rest of the night. We are going to start trying Jay Gordon's night weaning method after he turns 1. I am hopeful it will help him get some longer stretches of sleep--he just seems so tired with all the night waking. Plus, we want to try for #2, and I haven't had my first PPAF yet...so maybe it would help with that?

Mama to my sweet toddler DS1 (12/19/08), new arrival DS2 (04/18/11) homebirth.jpg  and married to my best friend for 6 years. 
Old 12-09-2009, 02:56 PM

Hi everyone - room for one more?? I've lurked around here on and off for over a year, but it's time to post!

Kiddo will be one on the 28th - yikes!!

What are the big birthday plans? Not sure - I think we will just do something fun with the 3 of us.

How are you handling birthday + the winter holidays? We will be traveling to see both sets of grandparents before and after Christmas so we'll celebrate 3 times! I think we are going to try to always be home on kiddo's birthday so it doesn't get lost in the after Christmas rush.

How's life adjusting and settling in for you with an extra member? It's been a fabulous year!! Right now, things are a little crazy as I'm a full time PhD student and trying to finish up my semester. I'm very excited to have a whole month ahead where I just get to be mama. We have also started thinking about #2 - I'd be happy to have another Dec. baby

Any medical issues? Nope - we've been very lucky so far!

Are we walking? talking? problem solving? starting trouble? First steps a few weeks ago and he really took off this past week. It's still so funny to see this little guy motoring around! No words yet - lots of word-like sounds and he definitely is starting to understand more and more of what we are saying. So fascinating to watch him figure things out. The new favorite activity is emptying out drawers and investigating all the contents.

Meredith, mama to Callum (12-28-08 ) and now expecting a new bean in early spring

User Tag List