Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Do you like this book???
#2 of 8 Old 11-03-2009, 03:28 AM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I found it very helpful. Overall, I found her recommending more food than I think an ebf babe needs at each stage + placed too much emphasis on grains + hasn't been updated in a long time so the allergy information isn't up-to-date. I did appreciate that the book really focuses on the preparation of whole foods and we do use the various cereal recipes a lot. Our 2y still eats a super oatmeal/flax cereal for breakfast each day.

It, combined with the website wholesomebabyfood (helpful but poorly organized) were very helpful.
#3 of 8 Old 11-03-2009, 03:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i think she uses the microwave too much. i know her think it "it's quick and easy!" but it has to be good too. and microwaves aren't. especially for babies.

i also think she's a little nutso about keeping babies from ingesting bacteria. bacteria is good. the more they are exposed to, the less sick they are.

she does have some really great ideas though. like freezing soup in muffin tins so they can be popped out and put in ziplocs for individual servings.

i agree with pp about focusing too much on grains. i don't do any grains at all to start.

she talks about what ages it's appropriate to start different foods. if your not sure about something, you can look it up in the back and go to the page. it will tell you when you can start, why you should wait if you have to, what nutrients are in it, etc..

overall, i'd give it a 7 out of 10.
#4 of 8 Old 11-03-2009, 03:50 AM

I think she has some good ideas but I wouldn't use it for all of your information.
#5 of 8 Old 11-04-2009, 02:57 PM

I loved it when my first was a baby, as I had no idea what to do. I like it even more now that he's 3 - lots of great ideas for toddlers. With my second, I don't rely on it so much - I'm much more relaxed about solids this time.
#6 of 8 Old 11-04-2009, 03:24 PM

I liked it as for some of the ideas, but....

She wrote a book about nourishing your baby with healthy foods and then recommends using a microwave to make your baby's food. That doesn't make sense. Anything coming out of the microwave is dead, and unhealthy among other things. Apparently she has not done any research on microwaves.

I like the book, Raw Kids by Cheryl Stoycoff

Happily married and unschooling 5 kiddos Oct. 2004, July, 2007, July, 2009, Oct. 2010, Nov. 2012 uc.jpg

#7 of 8 Old 11-04-2009, 03:32 PM

I don't remember using much out of it except super-porridge, or whatever she called it.
#8 of 8 Old 11-04-2009, 03:49 PM

i totally agree. i use it plus wholesomebabyfood.com and try to take the best from each. i haven't done grains yet, either. she seems a bit neurotic in her writing, but some of the info is very good, enough for me to use it as a reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudiAU View Post
I found it very helpful. Overall, I found her recommending more food than I think an ebf babe needs at each stage + placed too much emphasis on grains + hasn't been updated in a long time so the allergy information isn't up-to-date. I did appreciate that the book really focuses on the preparation of whole foods and we do use the various cereal recipes a lot. Our 2y still eats a super oatmeal/flax cereal for breakfast each day.

It, combined with the website wholesomebabyfood (helpful but poorly organized) were very helpful.

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page