How many naps does your 4 month old take? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 11-03-2009, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS takes a nap at around 10am, 1pm, sometimes 3pm, and 6pm the goes to bed between 9 and 10pm (sometimes later when he's having a fussy night). Is 4 naps at this age normal?

Elijah Mercury (7/2009), TTC #2 with my new soon to be DH! Tattooed, 29 year old cancer survivor! treehugger.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 11-03-2009, 04:55 PM

My babe just turned 5 mo and is still taking 4 naps a day. When he was 4 mo he could even take 5 some days because he was stuck in the 40 minute nap rut.
#3 of 14 Old 11-03-2009, 05:43 PM

DS is just 4 months, and almost always has four naps in a day. Sometimes its five if he wakes up at 5am, if he's up at 6 its 4 naps. He goes down for the night at 730ish.

he wakes up at 5-6am, first nap 1-2 hours after wake up, then the rest of the day is often 90min awake, 45-60min nap. His last nap often is around 3, then he's up from 4 to 7 which is his longest awake time.

Sometimes he takes a 1.5 hour nap, and then he'll only have three naps.

He gets about 12-13 hours of sleep a day which I think is on the low side but its all we can get out of him he's hard to get asleep!

mom to z (June 2009) and m (may 2011)

#4 of 14 Old 11-03-2009, 06:16 PM

My DS will be four-months next week and he takes three naps, lasting anywhere from 45 minutes - 1 1/2 hours. However, he doesn't go to sleep until about midnight and gets up around 10 or 11 AM...such a weird schedule. I wish I could get him to go to bed earlier!

Student Mama to Dmitri 07/11/09. Wife to a two-job student dad. So happy with our BF, Co-sleeping, No vax, No Circ. Vegetarian Family.
#5 of 14 Old 11-03-2009, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafox View Post
DS is just 4 months, and almost always has four naps in a day. Sometimes its five if he wakes up at 5am, if he's up at 6 its 4 naps. He goes down for the night at 730ish.

he wakes up at 5-6am, first nap 1-2 hours after wake up, then the rest of the day is often 90min awake, 45-60min nap. His last nap often is around 3, then he's up from 4 to 7 which is his longest awake time.

Sometimes he takes a 1.5 hour nap, and then he'll only have three naps.

He gets about 12-13 hours of sleep a day which I think is on the low side but its all we can get out of him he's hard to get asleep!

This sounds like my 5 month old, except I think if I add it up he's at around 14 hours sleep per 24 hour period. Hard to say though since I'm generally busy with the 3.5 year old so I don't get to notice the clock too much.

Erin sharing life with a burly husband and two rad boys 7/06 & 5/09 : : Zone 9-ish
#6 of 14 Old 11-03-2009, 09:20 PM

I'm jealous of y'all! When my 4 month old falls asleep during the day (maybe twice, if I'm lucky) he is usually only out for 15 minutes. I get very little done during the day. The good part is that when he goes to sleep at night (8ish) he is down until about 6am, give or take a boob here and there.

He's supposed to be sleeping 14 hours a day?? Darn kid missed that memo, LOL!
#7 of 14 Old 11-03-2009, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamomile Girl View Post
I'm jealous of y'all! When my 4 month old falls asleep during the day (maybe twice, if I'm lucky) he is usually only out for 15 minutes. I get very little done during the day. The good part is that when he goes to sleep at night (8ish) he is down until about 6am, give or take a boob here and there.

well let me be more precise, we *make* DS take four naps in a day. There is no 'fall asleep' in our house! He can't be up for more than 90min w/out getting super cranky/overtired and unless we bounce him to sleep he'll be a mess. It used to be only 45min, so at least his happy awake time is increasing. I wish his ability to fall asleep would improve as well, but oh well.

today he only had one 'real' nap - the mr. totally failed in any attempts to get him asleep the rest of the day, though he did sleep for 30min in my MIL's snugli, but that was it. When I got home from work DS was a total mess, almost drunk seeming w/ tiredness. Even nursing to sleep (he was super hungry) didn't work which usually it does when he's tired and hungry.

I finally got him asleep at 5, and he's been sleeping straight since then. I know it means he might be *awake* at 10pm, or 3am, or something, but oh well. He really needs some rest!

hopefully his naps work better tomorrow!

#8 of 14 Old 11-04-2009, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamomile Girl View Post

This is how my 4 month old DD is. She's the queen of cat napping. I just put her down to bed and it's 8:22pm, which is about average for bedtime (anywhere between 8:15 and 9:00pm). With usually about 2 feedings during that time. Then she's usually up between 6 and 7am. I'd say she cat naps about 4-5 times a day ranging from 15 minutes to 3o minutes. If I lay down with her in bed (meaning I nurse her down and stay down with her), she'll nap for 45 minutes to an hour.

We're lucky if she gets 12 hours of sleep in a 24 hour period of time. I so wish she would sleep more!

A tired mommy to DD (7/09) and loving wife to DH (08/06)
#9 of 14 Old 11-04-2009, 04:45 AM

my ds takes 4-5 naps also. he usually wakes between 5-6am. lately hasn't been going to bed for the night until 10-11pm though. ugh. takes so long to get the little booger to sleep ! an hour or more of wearing him and dancing to music. lately i've been laying down with him to nap, just because he's been sleeping much less, and i really need the rest.
#10 of 14 Old 11-04-2009, 10:57 AM

I'm LUCKY if I get one nap.

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#11 of 14 Old 11-04-2009, 02:08 PM

Seafox- How do you make your baby take a nap? Bouncing every time? I have a four month old and he hardly sleeps.

He averages 11 hours a day including naps and my pediatrician said it is way too little. She says he should sleep 16 hours a day. I'm tempted to agree because I cannot get him to bed before 12:30am and that's after the time change. He used to sleep from 12 to 12ish and take one 1.5 hr nap. The 12 to 12 was with 3 feeding breaks. She said I need to help him sleep better and try to encourage nap times so he's not over excited and we can both get more rest.

cmarie- I know how you feel. He pushed back midnight to one am lately but the time change helped. Hey, you live fairly close to me and you're new on mothering, so welcome!!
#12 of 14 Old 11-04-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curious&eager View Post
Seafox- How do you make your baby take a nap? Bouncing every time? I have a four month old and he hardly sleeps.

He averages 11 hours a day including naps and my pediatrician said it is way too little. She says he should sleep 16 hours a day. I'm tempted to agree because I cannot get him to bed before 12:30am and that's after the time change. He used to sleep from 12 to 12ish and take one 1.5 hr nap. The 12 to 12 was with 3 feeding breaks. She said I need to help him sleep better and try to encourage nap times so he's not over excited and we can both get more rest.

cmarie- I know how you feel. He pushed back midnight to one am lately but the time change helped. Hey, you live fairly close to me and you're new on mothering, so welcome!!
bouncing pretty much every time - sometimes wearing him for a walk (1 nap a day) When I am home on weekends *occasionally* nursing to sleep works, but that would also only work maybe 1x a day.

we do it mostly because after 90min awake he's cranky, so not much else works anyway. He gets pretty overtired. If he was mellow and awake maybe we wouldn't force the naps on him!

he sleeps about 12.5 hours a day. 8pm to 5 am w/ some breaks for eating, and then the 4 or so 45min naps a day, maybe a longer one if we're lucky. I chart it so I know on average he's been doing about 12.5 hrs a day of sleep. Once a week or so it'll be 14 hours.

#13 of 14 Old 11-04-2009, 09:31 PM

We also "make" our baby take naps--used to bounce him to sleep, then for a while he would nurse down for a nap. Now we rock him to sleep in a glider--with shushing or singing. Sometimes he will go to sleep "on his own" talking in his crib, but it's kind of unpredictable, so I don't like to try it--because I want him to take his naps!!

My babe probably sleeps between 14-15 hours per day.
#14 of 14 Old 11-04-2009, 10:16 PM

My 4 month old usually has one LONG nap each day (3 hours!!) and two short ones, about 30 minutes each. For the shorties,morning, it's either in the car taking older ds to school, or in the wrap for a walk, or sitting and nursing. For the long one I deliberately lie in bed and nurse him down- sometimes I have to return once or twice until he's really out. This is always in mid-afternoon.
He then has another shortie after dinner, in my lap nursing, while DH cleans up from dinner. Like now Bedtime is between 9-10 pm, he wakes 3-4 times between then and 7am to nurse, usually clustering all the feedings between 2-6 am.

I could use more sleep, but I'll take this schedule. I'm thrilled that I can usually count on that long nap each day. . . . usually! Wish I could sleep as well, but my 4 y/o no longer naps.

User Tag List