quinoa for baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-04-2009, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
nak

I just ate some quinoa flakes for breakfast and loved the texture. it seemed great for baby food too! we haven't given grains yet. dd is 7 mo. when do you all start giving grains? we thought about 8-9 months to try some gluten free oats or brown rice. However, now I wonder would quinoa flakes be a good first grain? it is such a superfood that i really think it would be great, but i have no prior baby experience here, so i ask this to the expert baby feeding moms out there.

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#2 of 8 Old 11-04-2009, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would give actual quinoa before I would do flakes. Any processing you do to grains depletes them of some nutrition. We also didn't start grains until after 12 months because from the research I did, it didn't seem that grains are even that digestible before that point.

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 8 Old 11-05-2009, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Actual quinoa was our dd's first grain, around 8 months I think. We still don't do wheat, but she does get quinoa and rice occasionally. I have also read that digestability is questionable before a year though, so we try not to base meals/snacks on grains.

For greater things are yet to come...

#4 of 8 Old 11-05-2009, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selkat View Post
Actual quinoa was our dd's first grain, around 8 months I think. We still don't do wheat, but she does get quinoa and rice occasionally. I have also read that digestability is questionable before a year though, so we try not to base meals/snacks on grains.
Why have you avoided wheat? Is it due to Celiac concerns?

grouphug.gifPenny4them  
Blessed WAH wife and mama to my happy brood jumpers.gif Dd1(7/01) Dd2(10/02) Ds (6/09) CDing & ECing works! No Circ, Make it yourself or buy something Handmade! mdcblog5.gif 

#5 of 8 Old 11-05-2009, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evie's Mama View Post
I would give actual quinoa before I would do flakes. Any processing you do to grains depletes them of some nutrition. We also didn't start grains until after 12 months because from the research I did, it didn't seem that grains are even that digestible before that point.
Technically, quinoa is not a true grain (grains are grasses), it is a seed related to the spinach family. In the case of flax seed, you need to grind it to a meal to get the benefits of the omega 3 fatty acids because otherwise the seeds go straight through. Perhaps quinoa flakes would similarly be just as healthy as the full seed?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinoa
#6 of 8 Old 11-05-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selkat View Post
So what do you base meals on then? Fruit, etc? where do you find the info on what babies can digest? I'm really interested in this, because DD wants to eat everything!!

Me,yummy.gif   DS, Peace.gif and DDdust.gif Grateful to the baby I lost for sticking around long enough to teach me what I needed to know so badly  candle.gif  We  love our forest valley home, our goats and chickenschicken3.gif, and wild harvested food-medicine coolshine.gif

#7 of 8 Old 11-06-2009, 01:35 AM

We gave DS quinoa right at 7 mos. It really is a super "grain" with tons of protein, iron, and other vitamins/minerals. Plus, he loves it. I just rinse, then dry roast (on the stove), then boil the actual quinoa until it's soft. He loves it mixed with pears or plums. And it freezes well, so I make a big batch and freeze a bunch at a time.

Happy mama to our miracle son Benjamin - 3/09 after a long road of infertility
#8 of 8 Old 11-09-2009, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We avoided wheat only because it's one of the common allergens (soy, dairy, corn, wheat, nuts), and dd comes from a solid line of fairly allergic people. Some of the other grains out there are, I believe, more nutricious than wheat. Also, I find that wheat products tend to have a lot of questionable crap in them. That's the wheat avoidance rationale.

I try to balance dd's meals through the day to include a variety of foods, but mostly she eats what we eat with a few modifications. Ex: Breakfast yesterday was an egg yolk sprinkled with a little salt and pepper, a few segments of an orange, and a small handful of "popped" millet. Lunch was some leftover zucchini apple curry soup and a few more millet grains (they're handy for entertainment value while soup heats, or whatever. You can also get puffed kamut grains). Dinner was steamed broccoli with a bit of olive oil and some mixed beans. She also snacked on dates and a sippy cup of green smoothie. Often there's more fruit in a day, and I really rely on green smoothies for intake of greens as the only greens dd will really eat are broccoli and the occasional green bean.

There are two books that stick out in my mind as being good, and, of course, I have neither at hand as our stuff is all in storage right now. However, one was this one: http://www.amazon.com/New-Vegetarian...7773177&sr=8-1 It's a bit soy heavy for my tastes, but the grains and other information in it is really good.
The other one was, I think by Nina Plank. Something like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Real-Food-Moth...7773233&sr=1-1 I don't remember the fertility/pregnancy portion of the book, but it may have been there and just not relevant at the time. I really like her attitude towards food though.

The research I've read doesn't necessarily support delaying the introduction of certain foods. In fact, I've read studies supporting the idea that delayed introduction of nuts is a contributing factor in the development of allergies to same. However, I have seen a few studies that support delaying *when there is a significant history of allergies*. There's so much info out there, it can be a bit overwhelming, hey? My ultimate philosophy though is that if I'm eating well, and feeling well, then that's probably a good diet for my child to also follow.

Well, that was a bit of a detour from the quinoa!

For greater things are yet to come...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page