Would you shorten naps for a 14 month old in an attempt at full night sleep? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-04-2009, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We co-sleep and ds, 14 months, still wakes to comfort nurse 2-3 times a night. I am so ready for a full nights sleep, my 3 yo started sleeping through the night in his own bed around 21 months, 3 months before his brother was born. And I am pregnant, due in April, so I would love to get some more sleep before the new baby arrives. It is also super painful to nurse so it's hard to sleep through it like I used to.

So I am thinking of waking ds earlier from his naps in hopes that he will make up for lost naptime at night, he takes one in the morning and one in the afternoon. I have also thought about pushing his morning nap to more like a noon nap and then his afternoon nap would become an earlier bedtime. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2009, 09:48 PM

I would have nothing against giving it a try. If it works and everyone is happy, fine. If your DS ends up being tired and cranky during the day you can always revert back to the old way.

That said, I sort of doubt it will work. DS at 13 months still wakes several times in the night regardless of what his naps looked like during the day. At the moment it's quite bearable, but I doubt I'll want to go on like this another year. I'm thinking that sometime in the next six months or so I might consider night weaning him. That seems to work for a lot of people. In your shoes, if I were expecting, I'd probably go ahead and try it earlier rather than later. Jay Gordon has a method a lot of people here use, or they use their own variation of it.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulamc View Post
I would have nothing against giving it a try. If it works and everyone is happy, fine. If your DS ends up being tired and cranky during the day you can always revert back to the old way.

That said, I sort of doubt it will work. DS at 13 months still wakes several times in the night regardless of what his naps looked like during the day. At the moment it's quite bearable, but I doubt I'll want to go on like this another year. I'm thinking that sometime in the next six months or so I might consider night weaning him. That seems to work for a lot of people. In your shoes, if I were expecting, I'd probably go ahead and try it earlier rather than later. Jay Gordon has a method a lot of people here use, or they use their own variation of it.

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

Old 11-05-2009, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulamc View Post

(again)

I was in the same shoes almost exactly. It was about this time I chose to night wean DD.

I also doubt the nap-skipping would work. In fact, in this house it would definitely backfire.

Katie : Mom to three under four. Yes, i don't sleep often.

User Tag List