Mothering Forum banner

baby loves to eat paper

14K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  kfillmore 
#1 ·
Is this common? Our 8 month old really wants to chew paper. She likes board books but really love scrap paper, adult books, post-its,anything. She really bites and chews it. I find it her poo when she does and we don't stop her in time. Is this just a chewing/teething thing? She is like our dogs except they don't swallow the paper!

I am starting to worry. Does she think paper is food? She has had very little solid food. With food she does make a certain face.

thanks!

#3 ·
Both of my girls did this for a while (my 8mo old is still doing it, actually) I think it's pretty normal and is just a stage they go through.

It was easy enough to keep paper away from my eldest, but it has been killer keeping number 2 away from big sister's art projects!

#4 ·
Mine did this also from about 6-9 mo then it stopped. He's now 11mo and still gnaws on the corner of the grocery list from time to time but he's not desperate for paper the way he used to be. The board books are safe again.

#7 ·
Hmmm. My daughter is only 6 months old, but I could make a thread titled "baby loves to eat... everything", which likely doesn't bode well. I'll have to keep an eye out for paper-eating.

#8 ·
My guy was a huge paper and leaves guy from 6-8 months. I tried to parlay it into eating food (since he had no interest in that!). I gave him turkey jerkey to knaw on and dehydrated apple slices and other flat foods
He actually eats fewer shopping lists and leaves now, but still doesn't like food much!

#9 ·
I think it's just part of their exploring everything with their mouths phase. It'll pass, don't worry! My 11 month old now loves to first shred paper into tiny pieces, then eat it (esp kleenex). I think for the most part it's probably not harmful if they eat a little (I'm much more concerned about all the sand my baby eats at the park!).

#10 ·
my 8 month old loves paper. It's easy for him to hold and manipulate, makes all sorts of cool sounds when you crinkle it or rip it, and easily goes in the mouth. Normal here!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.