baby loves to eat paper - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 11-08-2009, 04:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is this common? Our 8 month old really wants to chew paper. She likes board books but really love scrap paper, adult books, post-its,anything. She really bites and chews it. I find it her poo when she does and we don't stop her in time. Is this just a chewing/teething thing? She is like our dogs except they don't swallow the paper!

I am starting to worry. Does she think paper is food? She has had very little solid food. With food she does make a certain face.

thanks!
#2 of 11 Old 11-08-2009, 05:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Subbing. My babe (6 months old) does this too.

Mothering my 4yo DS and 1yo DD
I knit : I sew : I read : I craft : and I very occasionally and irregularly blog
#3 of 11 Old 11-08-2009, 06:45 AM

Both of my girls did this for a while (my 8mo old is still doing it, actually) I think it's pretty normal and is just a stage they go through.

It was easy enough to keep paper away from my eldest, but it has been killer keeping number 2 away from big sister's art projects!

Pregnant and/or Breastfeeding since 2005
Mama to two girls: 5/06 and 3/09
#4 of 11 Old 11-08-2009, 10:22 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Mine did this also from about 6-9 mo then it stopped. He's now 11mo and still gnaws on the corner of the grocery list from time to time but he's not desperate for paper the way he used to be. The board books are safe again.

Happy mumma to my boys Henny Tom (Nov 30, 2008), Arlo Odie (Oct 5, 2010), and baby SISTER! due mid-Dec 2014.
#5 of 11 Old 11-08-2009, 02:55 PM

I think it's normal - at least I hope it is! I have chalked it up to being one of those things that's appealing because it's forbidden. Since I don't let him chew on paper, paper is what he wants, along with shoes, pens, string etc.

#6 of 11 Old 11-08-2009, 04:22 PM

count us as another paper-eater family. at 9mos, I hope it slows down soon! he eats any paper he can get his hands on.

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

#7 of 11 Old 11-09-2009, 03:13 AM

Hmmm. My daughter is only 6 months old, but I could make a thread titled "baby loves to eat... everything", which likely doesn't bode well. I'll have to keep an eye out for paper-eating.

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#8 of 11 Old 11-09-2009, 11:58 AM

My guy was a huge paper and leaves guy from 6-8 months. I tried to parlay it into eating food (since he had no interest in that!). I gave him turkey jerkey to knaw on and dehydrated apple slices and other flat foods He actually eats fewer shopping lists and leaves now, but still doesn't like food much!
#9 of 11 Old 11-09-2009, 12:15 PM

I think it's just part of their exploring everything with their mouths phase. It'll pass, don't worry! My 11 month old now loves to first shred paper into tiny pieces, then eat it (esp kleenex). I think for the most part it's probably not harmful if they eat a little (I'm much more concerned about all the sand my baby eats at the park!).
#10 of 11 Old 11-09-2009, 02:25 PM

my 8 month old loves paper. It's easy for him to hold and manipulate, makes all sorts of cool sounds when you crinkle it or rip it, and easily goes in the mouth. Normal here!!

Me-Brenda (wife as of 10/9/2005 and SAHM), DH-Rudy, DS-Isaiah 3/2009, DS-Micah 5/2011. We are a BF, Baby wearing, non-vacc, future homeschooling, homebirthing , traditional, family. The center of our home is Christ .

#11 of 11 Old 11-09-2009, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
THANKS! I am laughing now. What is it about shopping lists? ha ha. And let me tell you that guy may not like green eggs and ham but baby likes his book to eat!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page