Mothering Forum banner

Help! 9 mo can't get to sleep - keeps pulling up.

419 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  JessieBird 
#1 ·
Hi there,
My 9mo ds who usually naps really well in his crib, has found that he can now push himself up from all fours to sitting, to pulling up on the crib rails. Now he just can't get to sleep. He just kind of plays/talks/complains for a while and then starts to fuss. Every time I go up there, he's sitting up, has thrown binky over the side, or is kinda "stuck" in a pulled up position.

So, anything I can do? I've tried several times to nurse him down and it doesn't seem to work. Do I just gut it out through this phase? How long does it last? Anything I can do to help him?

TIA.

#2 ·
It's phase, he's working through a new-found skill. My best advise is to get him totally asleep before putting him in the crib, so he doesn't have a chance to get his second wind and find the energy to practice pulling up/standing.

How many naps is he taking? At this age, two is pretty much the norm, so if by any chance he's still taking more, this might be a sign he's ready to go down to two/more awake time in between naps.

And let him practice pulling up and standing as much as possible when he's awake - it'll wear off the novelty of it AND wipe him out so he's more ready to rest.

#3 ·
I second betsy--it'll pass. We co-sleep with my DS (almost 10 mos) and he took to waking up at 3 or 4am for a few days in a row and trying out all his new tricks. very cute stuff, but not so much at 4am. thankfully, he's quit it now. But putting him in all the way asleep should do the trick.

#4 ·
We went through this too. It coincided with not being able to nurse him to sleep anymore. He used to fall asleep in my arms then I'd put him in his crib. As soon as became really mobile (crawling and pulling up), he was too excited about moving around to allow himself to relax and go to sleep.

What has worked for us is to give DS a few little things to play with in his crib. This keeps him sitting or lying down and focused on what is at hand, rather than getting distracted by the big world beyond the crib. He plays a little bit then gradually slows down and falls asleep. What works for us is a few board books to look at and 2 or 3 suces to handle. He sucks on them a bit but mostly just likes passing them from hand to hand, studying them, and switching them in and out of his mouth. He could do this for hours and it is just what he needs to settle down quietly and gradually. Of course, sometimes he will throw all the books and suces out of the crib and it's a lost cause. On those occasions, I figure he doesn't need a nap and I don't force it, I just get him up and we carry on with the day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.