Would You Feel Okay to Leave Your LO in the Car? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 104 Old 11-15-2009, 11:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah, I would and have, especially when doing something like paying for gas & maybe grabbing a pop or a candy bar or something like that. Actually going shopping? No. But for a minute while I run inside & pay for gas? Absolutely. And I also definetly leave them in the car while I unload groceries assuming their asleep.

And honestly, yeah, while I pay for gas, somebody could run up and steal my car... but they could just as easily do that while I'm filling up the tank, or washing the window, or cleaning out the trash. Should I put DS2 in the sling while I fill my tank and lead DS1 around by the hand while I clean out the car??? Or should I just not go *ANYWHERE* without another adult, when I might need to you know, get gas or something??
#92 of 104 Old 11-15-2009, 11:49 PM

PLEASEEEE....
do not leave your kids(or animals!)in the car.
even for a minute.
this is a photo of the remnants of my car after just running in to get a to go bubble tea.
i shut my car off...went into the store and someone came running in after me to tell me my car was on fire.
my car was completely destroyed within 5 minutes.
all i could think of was my daughters blankie in the back seat
the firefighters think that something seized and had seen this happen before.
if my child was in that car she would have been severely burned or not alive.
http://img269.imageshack.us/i/img0019ho.jpg/

mom to the awesomest 9 year old little lady. mom to the awesomest mushy baby born oct.16 2009 by successful VBAC. wife to the awesomest dude ever. life is good. at it again and due march 3, 2012!

#93 of 104 Old 11-15-2009, 11:57 PM

the only time i leave my kids alone in the car is when i've gotten them all buckled in their seats and i close the door and walk over to the driver seat.

seriously.

"The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes." -Harold B. Lee
#94 of 104 Old 11-16-2009, 12:29 PM
2xy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEEKLOVE View Post
PLEASEEEE....
even for a minute.
this is a photo of the remnants of my car after just running in to get a to go bubble tea.
i shut my car off...went into the store and someone came running in after me to tell me my car was on fire.
Well, that's scary and I'm sorry it happened to you, but it still doesn't worry me with regards to leaving kids in the car. Weird things happen. Friends of mine lost their house about a dozen years ago....a gas line broke and the pilot from the water heater ignited it. Their house exploded in the middle of the night on Christmas Eve. Luckily, they were away visiting family for the holidays or someone would have been killed. But I can't let that scare me into thinking I shouldn't sleep at night because my house might explode. KWIM?
#95 of 104 Old 11-16-2009, 12:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEEKLOVE View Post
PLEASEEEE....
even for a minute.
Have to agree that while that is one of the craziest and most bizarre incidents I have heard of involving a car, that is not in any way likely to make me not leave DD in the car for a minute. There is far far greater chance that I would be in a car accident with her in the car than something like that ever happening and yet I still drive with her in the car.
#96 of 104 Old 11-16-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaMelis View Post
I wish that a poll had been included in this post, as I would LOVE to see how many who are horrified by the mere thought of leaving a child in a car for a moment while in visual contact only have one child.
I have more than one, and I don't leave them in the car.

, , , and
#97 of 104 Old 11-16-2009, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I do. For just a second type thing. To return a shopping cart, pay for gas, go to the ATM. Once I left my sleeping newborn and 3 yr old in the car for a minute to pick up my CSA box. In a private driveway at the farm, no one around. That made me a little anxious, the other times do not. I mean to me it is common sense. If I can see them, and my car is locked and off, I think they are safer inside than dragging them both into a gas station, or up to a ATM. I grew up in the late 70's. My Mom always left us in the car to run into the grocery store. I don't think for like 30 minutes, but for sure to run in and grab a few things. By the time I was 4 she let me stay home alone to run to the corner store.
#98 of 104 Old 11-16-2009, 02:37 PM

I do,and I think it's silly and another symptom of the paranoia of our society that so many people worry about this practice. I PROMISE you that actually driving somewhere with your kids safely strapped in is much more dangerous than leavingthe car for a minute. I mean, thousands of kids are killed in car accidents every year, but no one says "I would NEVER drive to the grocery store. Is it worth your child dying?" The chances of kidnapping are minute, and even if it did happen, it's just as likely to happen when I am in the car, too.

Mom to 5 wonderful kids (9, 6, 4, 2 and 0), 1 adopted through foster care.

#99 of 104 Old 11-16-2009, 06:27 PM

Since it is illegal here (I've had Mom's in this exact situation ask me to take their $10 or $20 in to get their pump started at the gas station since they didn't want to wake their baby), my biggest concern would be someone calling the police. My baby isn't here yet, so I may feel differently afterward, but right now I don't see this as a big deal except for the illegal part in my state

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#100 of 104 Old 11-17-2009, 12:21 AM

What the OP is describing sounds just fine to me.

I had to read through this since my sil and I were talking about this yesterday and how we think a GREAT service would be "car nannies." College kids who just need some money and need time for homework. They could sit in the car and study and earn cash while busy (and who isn't?) moms run errands here and there! We both thought it was brilliant It would be so awesome to be able to pick up an adult during the day to do such a thing. As in stellar. As in I'd pay some money for that! Dreamy

Erin sharing life with a burly husband and two rad boys 7/06 & 5/09 : : Zone 9-ish
#101 of 104 Old 11-17-2009, 12:45 AM

I would never, ever, ever...I've had my e break give out on us a few times (I put it into gear too, thankfully) but I would never chance it. I wear him into the grocery store and places of that sort, but bringing him into the gas station is a real pain

Dirt worshiping, creatress Mama to Rowan and Alden - home birth loving, no circ, no vax, extended breast feeding, cloth diapering, baby wearing, cosleeping

#102 of 104 Old 11-17-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erinz View Post
I had to read through this since my sil and I were talking about this yesterday and how we think a GREAT service would be "car nannies." College kids who just need some money and need time for homework. They could sit in the car and study and earn cash while busy (and who isn't?) moms run errands here and there! We both thought it was brilliant It would be so awesome to be able to pick up an adult during the day to do such a thing. As in stellar. As in I'd pay some money for that! Dreamy
I love this idea. My cousin had her mom do this with her like once a week so she could do all those little errands that just take a minute like dropping something at the post office or running into the bank for a second. I was always a bit envious.

coolshine.gif

#103 of 104 Old 11-17-2009, 03:06 PM

when it comes to my child im a big fan of prevention.

mom to the awesomest 9 year old little lady. mom to the awesomest mushy baby born oct.16 2009 by successful VBAC. wife to the awesomest dude ever. life is good. at it again and due march 3, 2012!

#104 of 104 Old 11-17-2009, 03:18 PM

In almost all situations I wouldn't leave my DD alone in the car in a parking lot. The only exception I can think of is in a tiny town/rural area near here where there is literally no traffic and all that. And even then I would probably be nervous about it!

I only go to gas stations that have pay at the pump or a little booth outside where you pay and you're like 5 feet from the car.

I do feel fine leaving my DD buckled in her car seat in my driveway while I run in to grab something we forgot, or if she was happily sleeping or playing as a baby I would go ahead and carry in the groceries quickly and then get her out. It's hard to carry in groceries with a screaming, clinging baby! In this situation her door would be open and the car would be off and I would have the keys. I don't feel as if anyone here would bother my car in broad day light in our suburb, and we know all the neighbors fairly well.

Momma to Sweet Rosie 7/06, Lost Baby J 1/09 at 12 weeks pregnant, Spitfire Ada born 4/21/10, and Baby Boy due July/August 2013!
Aspiring urban homesteader, photographer, homeschooling momma! Blog link in my profile. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page