~January 2009 mamas...new thread here!~ - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-27-2009, 03:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Absolutely no cookies here. He still doesn't chew food (which is getting quite worrisome - he'd eat the world if it was mashed, but lumps? Never.) so it's not really an issue for us.. Though even if he did chew, no cookies.

As for cake, I'll probably bake one.. though whether he has any or not is another matter entirely.

I hope you all had a wonderful christmas with your little ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2009, 04:49 PM

LOL about the cookie question because I am guilty of giving my Jan 8 baby an iced, sprinkled cookie the other day and pointing out that she obviously isn't my first. :-) With my older daughter, no way would I have given her a cookie -- she did have cake at her first birthday, but that was still probably the only sugar she had until she was 18 months or so (then things like grahams or animal crackers). Anyway, I am much more laid back (in good and bad ways) this time around. We will do a cake for her birthday, too, with a picture of her diving in and all.

I'll just say "Howdy" now, too. I was on the due date club but haven't had much internet time this year. Now I'm feeling really out of touch and tired and overwhelmed with this approaching toddler stage. I need other moms in the same boat to communicate with.

Amanda, momma to Caroline (5/31/05) and Mary Elizabeth (1/8/09)
Old 12-27-2009, 07:00 PM

No desserts here yet! Although he did have french toast for breakfast on Christmas morning, but no syrup, so I guess that really isn't dessert I do plan on baking a cake for DS to have on his first birthday, I will try and keep it as 'healthy' as I can though.

Re sippy cups - DS has one but doesn't know how to drink from it, he's never had a bottle though so maybe thats why. But he has figured out how to drink out of a regular cup, so I think I'll be giving up on the sippy!

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
Old 12-28-2009, 01:02 AM

Ah...I'm late to this thread!

My guy was born 1/7 and I'm getting really nostaligic now that the year mark is coming up!

The tough things for us are lack of weight gain, sleep and allergies. He has a severe wheat allergy (gets hives from just touching flour and wheat products, so I can't even bake with wheat flour in our house any more b/c some always managed to make it to the floor, of course). I think his sleep and weight issues are part and parcel of the allergy stuff. He now sleeps for about 4-6 hours in his crib and then is very wakeful with me for the rest of the night. He likes to just hang out clapping and standing and scratching his ankles when he comes to bed with me at 1 or 2 in the morning. Ugh.

The good thing is that he's pretty happy and meeting all his (non growth related) milestones. He's so scrappy and adventurous next to my shy first son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbalsam View Post

Had a very scary experience with tahini a few months ago -- anaphylaxis, almost stpped breathing -- so we are being very deliberate about introducing new foods, and will prob. wait a while yet for soy ,wheat, and cow's-milk based dairy. Tried goat's milk yogurt yesterday with success! But a note of caution to all: sesame is highly allergenic.
SO SORRY. My first guy had an anaphlyactic reaction to tahini at 9 months old and I too was shocked to find out what a common allergen seeds are (he turned out to be severely allergic to many seeds like sunflower and mustard, as well as all nuts, dairy and egg). Very scary stuff and it does make you cautious. I'm actually surprised how relaxed I was about introducing foods to this second baby after my bad experience...and sure enough he had super hives from his first teething biscuit and all the trauma returned.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:22 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Yum, cookies... yep, I've given Esmé a cookie now and then. She eats everything we eat. I'm celiac, so we're gluten-free in our house. As for a birthday cake, my partner is going to make a carrot cake!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
Old 12-28-2009, 01:42 PM

Re: Cookies - Sam has had a cookie or 2 in his lifetime, and he's snagged one and instantly put it in his mouth. They've really never been like the iced uber sugared up ones, just plain un-iced cookies (i despise icing)

Re: Sippy cups - I don't remember when we started these with jack (#1), but for Sam we've tried a couple of times with meals (he disliked a regular cup & bottle) We're not pushing it right now as he still gets bottles for BM and the sippies are only for water.

I hope everyone had or is having a wonderful holiday season! Once again the GPs overdid it, but at least they talked with us and many of the gifts were neat to inspire imagination and not battery operated or noisy!!

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

Old 01-02-2010, 11:55 PM

I'm gonna start us a new thread in the Toddler Years now that our babes are turning 1.

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

Old 01-16-2010, 06:18 PM

Just wanted to pop by and give a shout for its my january baby's b-day today.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SAM!

While your birth did not have the ending I wished for, I loved every minute of it and would not change it for the world. This year you have taught me to be more peaceful and enjoy life.

Thank you so much ~ your momma

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

User Tag List