Help me with these last few babyproofing items! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-16-2009, 01:23 AM - Thread Starter
JMJ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1) We have 2 nice sturdy tables that hold speakers that have to have a cord running between them. The outlet to plug the system in is between the two tables. I have stuff to cover the cords along the baseboards, but the part that comes up from the baseboard to the outlet is stumping me. There's gotta be a product that handles this that I just don't know about. It's only a matter of time before she figures out how to extract the cord from my baseboard wire guard/masking tape concoction.

2) We currently have a corner table (3 shelves) along a wall and the side of the couch. If pressed hard enough in the right place, it will tip outward. Here are what we have brainstormed.
a) Put something underneath the bottom shelf so that it cannot tip. I tried cutting some empty TP rolls to stick under it, and it doesn't seem to have solved the problem. DH suggests getting a wood block of some kind to keep it in place. With either solution, I wouldn't put it past her to figure out how to remove whatever we put under there and then proceed to pull the shelf down onto herself. Any ideas for securing something there?
b) Tether it to something. We can't exactly attach it to the couch or the wall, but would it work to tie it to something heavy that is hidden behind the couch? Any ideas for something heavy enough? My best bet is soda bottles full of water.
c) Move it or get rid of it.
Any votes or ideas, or have you been successful stabilizing a similar table?

3) DH has his grandfather's bookcase that sits in the corner of the living room... right where he wants it. This thing is old... like has books that talk about "the World War" like there was only one of them. This thing has doors that have glass on the front of them, and this thing is tall and leans forward. It is not very sturdy, would be heavy and sharp if it fell, and is a priceless heirloom. Does know of something that could be used to fence it in so that it can't be reached? Is there any such thing as a baby gate that closes off a corner? This one is really stumping me, and I can only rely on the fact that I am faster than her for so long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2009, 01:37 AM

1) Would those flexible plastic hoses work? I think they generally sell them for computers and entertainment systems to keep the cords all together. I have no idea what they're called though. Alternatively, could you attach the cords to the wall?

2) a. How about gluing/nailing/screwing it in place?

3) They do sell baby "fences" that you can use to cordon off areas. I think they usually sell them in sets of 2-3 pieces that hook together and you can angle them however you need to at the point of attachment.

Amy loving DH 5/04, raising DD 2/05 and DS 11/09; missing my mom& my babies 6/07, 12/07; and on the side
Old 11-16-2009, 07:39 PM

Something like this for #3 maybe? http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=2963260

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

User Tag List