August 2009 Mamas & Little Babies! - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-29-2010, 11:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
slimkins- every family and kiddo is different! So whatever balance works, go with it!

bluebird- congrats! DH finished almost all of the insulation in our addition yesterday, so we're one step closer to almost doubling our space! We're currently a family of 5 in 850 sq/ft (one big room downstairs, one sleep loft upstairs) but once the addition is done we'll be a family of 5 in 1100 sq/ft! And the kids will have a room, and there will be a seperate "living/family" room... plus the current space will switch around to be a kitchen and a dining room space. i can't wait! So I totally feel your joy.

mouso- our dd1 was way ahead of the curve in physical milestones. And as a 1st time mom I didn't realize just how "early" she was. Then dd2 arrived and hit the physical milestones on time or a bit late and I was pretty flustered. Like, dd1 walked around 8mo, but dd2 didn't walk more than a toddle step till a month or two after her first bday. So this time I'm enjoying the individual style. Neither girl adopted log rolling, so that's one for the ds!

This has been a hard winter/early spring in terms of health. One or more members of the family have been sick since DECEMBER. Yes. DECEMBER. So almost 4 straight months with literally fewer than ten days in that time where everyone was feeling good. Any ideas? We take supplements (multi vit, sambucol, c, probiotics, vit d), eat whole foods as much as possible, get outside for fresh air, try to get 11+ hours of sleep for the kiddos and 8 for the adults, try to get some "formal" exercise (belly dance and walking for me), do yoga as a family a few times a week (we use the Wai Lana and Yoga Kids dvds)....

But we just can't seem to stay healthy!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2010, 02:51 PM

blueblird- I'm not overly excited about having to get up in the middle of the night to go and feed him, but it's worth it knowing that he is sleeping better. Last night went the same as the night before. Up twice and no soothing back to sleep. Just out!

Wombat- thank you for the reassurance. This is my first, and I'm finding out some of the things I intended to do or some of things I thought were best for my son haven't always worked out that way. I feel like I have "Abandoned my boy"... not really, just being silly.

Have you ladies seen this trailer? It looks really neat.

Babies

Michele married to Dh since Dec 2000 and happily sharing a home with 3 kitties, 1 doggy, DS R born 8/25/09 into the arms of his mama, and DS E born 2/25/2012

Old 03-29-2010, 03:34 PM

DS2 is army crawling like crazy these days, and occasionally he gets up on his knees and rocks back and forth He hasn't quite pulled up yet, but he loves to stand while hodling our fingers/hands, and I've seen him start to try and reach up and grab stuff above him... so I know thats coming sono!! I actually just put the floor of the pack'nplay on the bottom rather than the mid spot today in anticipation of that... I could just totally see him pulling up and flipping out of it for the first time while I was in the shower or doing dishes or something...

He can sit up really well, and we've started letting him 'taste' things (I gave him some rice last night to play with for example). DH actually freaked out on me a week or so ago when I gave him, something, don't remember what. "He's too little em!" "same age as DS1 was, maybe even a bit older..." "no, no, he's too little..."

Michelle if your kid is happy in his own room in a crib, thats awesome!! I'm another that can't quite imagine that, as DS2 rarely sleeps by himself during the day, let alone at night. DS1 moved to his own bed/room ~20-24 months after I got pregnant with DS2 and knew that that had to happen I'm kinda hoping to get DS2 into his own room a tad bit earlier, but we'll see!

As for TTC... no, and I doubt we will. I'm pretty sure we're done, although *I* wouldn't mind another. But DH is still in school & jobless & he's happy with 2.... so I suspect we're 'done'. But nothing premanent yet - we're just using condoms I got my period back just a few days ago, so we offically have to start actively preventing again
Old 03-29-2010, 04:49 PM

My cycles are still MIA but my chin has broken out something fierce and that's a pretty good sign that the hormones are starting up again.

We have three kiddos now and number three was a bit of a surprise. But we go back and forth on the question of being done. DH plans on getting the V but hasn't yet, and I planned on getting the mirena and haven't yet soooooo... that may be a sign that we're not ready to finish this chapter of our lives. Of course, you gotta have more couple time than we have to TTC (even by accident)!

Tor's current fav food is blueberrry applesauce. I smush the blueberries (frozen, but organic/wild maine berries we were gifted last season) into chunky applesauce (just plain apples) and he loves it! And then, of course, he poops blueberry seeds and stains his dipe. Ah well, such is the life of a diaper, right?

I found a great little "stuffed ball" at the 2nd hand mama thrift shop today and Tor had a blast. It's a colorful cloth ball with a sort of handle on it and a bell inside? He grabs it and thumps it around and then pulls himself after it when it gets away (it doesn't roll far, unlike dd2's soccer ball which has him entranced but is a bit dangerous for a babe). I'll try to get pictures. Till then, here are two pics from Tor's first Ostara:

tongue out

goofy laugh

and one of Tor and I using my fav ring sling (yeah, I know the rings are low... Tor was squirming all over and I was about to adjust when dh shouted "smile!" )

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Old 03-31-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinaMarie View Post
I am lucky so far as Jackson will nurse where ever, whenever.
Same here... Cavan is an equal opportunity nurser... he will nurse anywhere regardless of noise/distractions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ombrooklyn View Post
Sooooooo, is anyone here going to be TTC anytime soon?
You know... sometimes I really want to start again but DH and I have decided that we wont consider it until Cavan is a year. Then we will see how we feel and take it from there. He is leaning towards Cavan being an Only. I am not 100% sure either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaspeach View Post
what do you do with your baby?
We sing songs, read books, play with his trains/blocks, this little piggie, peek a boo etc. He loves to play in the grass while I weed, play with his walker, terrorize our roomba and he really really loves to unpack things

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimkins View Post
I'm curious, are any of your babes sleeping in another room?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula Fairie View Post
I'm still in shock that babies exist, anywhere, that will sleep in a crib at all, let alone in another room.
Slim... you are not alone. Cavan has slept in his own bed since 4 months. He prefers it and sleeps a lot better that way. We started by transitioning him to a pack n play in our room and then slowly moved him into the hall of our Master bedroom, then right outside the door of our bedroom and then finally upstairs (our master is downstairs and the three other bedrooms are upstairs). He sleeps through the night (goes down between 8 and 9 and gets up between 7 and 8) with the very occasional night where he might wake up once (usually 5am). On those nights we bring him into our bed, he nurses... I put him back upstairs and he goes right back to sleep. At first I was baffled because I had been completely prepared to co sleep until 2 but it became really apparent that he just preferred being in his own space.

Cavan is crawling and climbing (particularly on to our bed and the stairs ). He can walk as long as he is holding on to something. His current favorite activity is watching our washing machine and dryer. I know a few of us were planning on ecing... to those who are, how's it going? We recently transitioned him from being held over bowls etc to putting him on a little potty.

read.gifLisa married to geek.gifB WAHM to moon.gifC (08.09)

Old 03-31-2010, 02:03 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Coconut.. It sounds like you won the lottery in the baby department. He sleeps through the night for 11-12 hours and will nurse anywhere? You might want to stop at just one because the odds are the next one won't be so easy! Of all of my friend's kids, none of the slept through the night before 2yo. Did you do anything special to encourage him to sleep all night or did he just do it on his own?

Olivine still wakes up 3-5 times at night and nurses fully each time she wakes. She is getting better about nursing in public, which I'm glad that faze is ending. Sometimes she would go 6-7 hours during the day without eating (if we were out of the house). Although even when she eats a lot during the day, she still wakes up at night.

Here's a picture of Olivine modeling an up-cycled t-shirt dress and booties that I made yesterday..

CLICK

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11 + Someone New in May 2015! After years of planning, we are finally living our dream in South America!!
Old 03-31-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraisme View Post
You might want to stop at just one because the odds are the next one won't be so easy!
I hear ya! Everyone is very fond of telling us that.

Quote:
Did you do anything special to encourage him to sleep all night or did he just do it on his own?
Not really... we do not believe in CIO or sleep training this young. I wanted to keep him in bed with us but he'd wake frequently kicking and arching his back. He seemed super frustrated and upset. DH finally suggested we set up a pack n play and test it out one night and he slept so much better. Our pediatrician says that STTN is just another developmental milestone that they all reach at different times. Cavan started STTN at 6 months. Between 4 and 5 months he would wake up 3 times a night (once at 11/12 then at 3 and then again at 5). Between 5 and 6 months he woke up twice a night.

Quote:
Here's a picture of Olivine modeling an up-cycled t-shirt dress and booties that I made yesterday..

CLICK
Very cute dress!

Old 03-31-2010, 03:18 PM

Can I join this group? Our DD was born 8-19-09
I'm a full time WOHM dreaming of the day I can be a SAHM or at least work part time!

To catch up on subjects it looks like you've been discussing:
Our DD sleeps in her own room and has been since she was about 4 months old. She generally sleeps better that way. We never co-slept, though we do when she's sick since she won't sleep well on her own when she doesn't feel well.

She started army crawling around 4-5 months, and has been cruising all over for a couple of months now. She started pulling herself up about 6 weeks ago, and started sitting up on her own a few weeks ago. She's into everything around the house, and is much more interested in what is hiding in her diaper bag and playing with the dog than any toys we give her!

The poor girl is recovering from a double ear infection and sinus infection that she got a week ago. To add to it, she was cutting one of her top teeth at the same time she had her infection. So, we didn't get much sleep for a while. Luckily she's doing much better now!
Old 03-31-2010, 03:42 PM

Olivine isn't crawling yet, but she loves her walker!

CLICK

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11 + Someone New in May 2015! After years of planning, we are finally living our dream in South America!!
Old 03-31-2010, 04:06 PM

Thanks, Coconut and Hannah's mommy, it's nice to know I'm not the only one here. He is still doing great. Last night, I nursed him before I went to bed at 11pm and then he didn't wake up until 4:30am to nurse.
The other night, he woke up (and cried) only an hour and half after I had just nursed him and my DH went in and rocked him for a couple of minutes and then put him back in his crib and he went right back to sleep. It was fantastic!

Coconut, we still do part-time ECing here. I only catch about a 1/3 of his pees and all of his poops. Except for the miss I had last week (first one in about 3 months!). His baby-sitter (two days a week) grew up in Checkoslovakia, and said that is how they did it. She said her daughters were out of diapers at 12 months and 13 months. So, she does it with him, too. I thought she was going to think I was crazy when I showed her his potty. Here's a pic I posted a couple of pages back.

on his potty

btw... Caven is so cute standing!!

Hannah's mommy, glad your LO is feeling better. My DS also loves playing with the dog more than anything else!

oh, and I got my period back this morning. I had a feeling it was coming.

Michele married to Dh since Dec 2000 and happily sharing a home with 3 kitties, 1 doggy, DS R born 8/25/09 into the arms of his mama, and DS E born 2/25/2012

Old 03-31-2010, 05:47 PM

Welcome Hannah's Mommy!

hugs slimkins... hope AF is gentle! (my face is even more broken out so I bet it's on the way here too).

Yesterday is snowed all day, today it's in the 50s, tomorrow it's supposed to be near 80! Crazy wild weather.

In other news....Tor is officially crawling! He looks a bit like and inchworm since he slaps his hands on the floor, pokes his butt up, then pushes off with his legs so he sort of ripples. But it's straight line, goal oriented, fast paced so I'm calling it a crawl. DD1 only crawled for about a week and dd2 crawled for months and months so well see where Tor goes from here.

Old 04-01-2010, 04:40 AM

I am trying to work on baby's baby book and I wanted to include some news/current events from around the time of his birth. However, I don't watch or read the news and I really have no clue what was happening around that time.

I checked a couple of news archives but I am just seeing articles about people dieing and other depressing things.

So- suggestions for interesting/relatively positive things that happened in August 2009 for his baby book?
Old 04-03-2010, 12:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut Chronicles View Post
Slim... you are not alone. Cavan has slept in his own bed since 4 months. He prefers it and sleeps a lot better that way. We started by transitioning him to a pack n play in our room and then slowly moved him into the hall of our Master bedroom, then right outside the door of our bedroom and then finally upstairs (our master is downstairs and the three other bedrooms are upstairs). He sleeps through the night (goes down between 8 and 9 and gets up between 7 and 8) with the very occasional night where he might wake up once (usually 5am). On those nights we bring him into our bed, he nurses... I put him back upstairs and he goes right back to sleep. At first I was baffled because I had been completely prepared to co sleep until 2 but it became really apparent that he just preferred being in his own space.
Coconut, I remember a long time ago, you posted your blog that you are a raw foody. Are you still and how are you feeding your baby? Perhaps there is a secret to your baby sleeping so well, maybe the diet?
Old 04-03-2010, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry, SomethingAnonymous - I do listen to the news sometimes, but not when I'm pg! Did you try wikepedia? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/August_2009 - there's about 1 good thing per day.

In mobility news . . . DD is crawling well, sitting, pulling up, and cruising. And stepping along if we hold her hands. This week we were at a conference center with coffee tables with a platform at the bottom (so about 3 - 4 inches off the ground) and she figured out how to crawl up onto them and then down off again!

AND . . . I'm walking! I was in a "walking boot" for about a week, and then was given the go-ahead to take it off and wear shoes. So I am! I spent 8+ hours yesterday cleaning my living room and sorting toys - wow, that needed doing! DH tidies and vacuums (even when I don't have a broken ankle) but he totally does NOT take the time to ever put things where they "belong".

Here as mama to W (2/04), R (5/06), D (7/09), and J (12/9/12!), co-parenting with my DH

I WOH part-time, am a doula & childbirth educator, home/unschool, and hope we are nearing the center of chaos

Old 04-03-2010, 03:48 PM

Yay for walking mamas1

So, Tor's first tooth popped through! It wasn't there last night when I "brushed" his gums but it was there when he gnawed on my finger this morning. so crawling and a first tooth all in one week! He really is a "wait to the last minute then go full force" kind of kid (wait till 42 weeks despite months of prodromal labor then goes from 0-born in 4 hours, refuses to nurse for the first 45 minutes or so and then dives in moments before the nurse would "require" sugar water due to his size, waits till about half an hour before they'd intervene to pass mec and then poops non-stop for minutes, etc).

Old 04-04-2010, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post
Coconut, I remember a long time ago, you posted your blog that you are a raw foody. Are you still and how are you feeding your baby? Perhaps there is a secret to your baby sleeping so well, maybe the diet?
that is a really good point and i'm curious too!!

Cavan is sooo cute and you are very blessed to have such a sweet good sleeper! We just bought a king size to help in the co-sleeping dept.
Figure he will transition out when he is ready!
And Abra, your girl is growing so fast!!

Love reading everyone's updates on their babes!!!!

We have taken out the IUD and are going to see what happens! We both want one more and hopefully soon. I love being a mom but i don't want to be in this phase forever.

Mom to K and R

Old 04-04-2010, 06:11 PM

Quote:

We have taken out the IUD and are going to see what happens! We both want one more and hopefully soon. I love being a mom but i don't want to be in this phase forever.
Thanks, and good luck conceiving! You might be the first one in the group.. We're not preventing anything, but my af doesn't seem to be coming back anytime soon.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:35 PM

Quote:
that is a really good point and i'm curious too!!

Cavan is sooo cute and you are very blessed to have such a sweet good sleeper! We just bought a king size to help in the co-sleeping dept.
Figure he will transition out when he is ready!

I still am amazed how we coslept for many months n a full size bed. A king size bed was the best investment.

You are so brave to TTC so soon. Oh what am I saying, I would love a baby soon, but we have decided to wait till I get rid of this lyme disease since I did pass it to Jules. And that has been horrible to deal with. Another baby doesn't need to go through this.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:
I am not sure how much diet comes into play with his sleep. I was not 100% raw in my pregnancy simply because I wouldn't have been able to get enough calories. I maintain 50% to 75% raw right now because of nursing etc and we shoot for as much organic as we can. Cavan was raw until a couple days ago when we let him try a very lightly steamed sweet potato. So far that is the only cooked thing we've given him (well that and jasmine tea lol). We don't do purees. I tend to believe our Doc... it's probably just another developmental milestone.

Quote:
Awww thanks hun . I totally feel you on not wanting to be in this phase for ever. We've decided if a second is meant to be then it has to happen before I turn 30 or it's not happening at all (I'm 28).

Hope you ladies all had a lovely Easter! We filled Cavan's Easter eggs with strawberries and he had a blast

Old 04-04-2010, 11:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks, and good luck conceiving! You might be the first one in the group.. We're not preventing anything, but my af doesn't seem to be coming back anytime soon.
thanks!
Quote:
I still am amazed how we coslept for many months n a full size bed. A king size bed was the best investment.

You are so brave to TTC so soon. Oh what am I saying, I would love a baby soon, but we have decided to wait till I get rid of this lyme disease since I did pass it to Jules. And that has been horrible to deal with. Another baby doesn't need to go through this.
A King size is a must! No idea how we did it so long in a full either!
Sorry you're dealing with that. You will hopefully conceive again when the time is right.
In all honesty, I just need the whole pregnancy/NB thing over. It's not my favorite.
Quote:
I am not sure how much diet comes into play with his sleep. I was not 100% raw in my pregnancy simply because I wouldn't have been able to get enough calories. I maintain 50% to 75% raw right now because of nursing etc and we shoot for as much organic as we can. Cavan was raw until a couple days ago when we let him try a very lightly steamed sweet potato. So far that is the only cooked thing we've given him (well that and jasmine tea lol). We don't do purees. I tend to believe our Doc... it's probably just another developmental milestone.

Awww thanks hun . I totally feel you on not wanting to be in this phase for ever. We've decided if a second is meant to be then it has to happen before I turn 30 or it's not happening at all (I'm 28).

Hope you ladies all had a lovely Easter! We filled Cavan's Easter eggs with strawberries and he had a blast
cute pics!

Mom to K and R

Old 04-04-2010, 11:42 PM

Quote:

Wow, 75% raw! I eat so much cooked food and have been wanting to switch over to more raw. I just don't know where to begin. Plus Dh is a meat and potatoes kind of guy and he is not crazy about salads, only will eat then if they are the side of a big meal. I really have no idea what to eat. We do eat mostly organic and tons of veggies, cooked though and lots of soups and beans. And to the next step, how to I feed a baby raw without teeth?
Old 04-06-2010, 09:55 AM

Jules took his first step yesterday!! I thought it was fluke thing, but he did it a second time!!

Yesterday was my dd's 3rd birthday and because of sharing issues we got Jules a little something- a red hotwheels car. He loved it!

But when it came down to it, he really like the wrapper it came in.

(how are ya'll making links into words to click on?)

PS - thanks wombatclay. It worked!
Old 04-06-2010, 12:13 PM

awwww! cute!

(pictures... highlight the word you want to turn into a link, then click on the "insert link" button... the globe with a chain... and paste the url into the pop-up box)

My dd1 turned 5 yesterday and I was flipping through her baby book. It's fun to see the differernces/similarities in the kiddos!

Old 04-06-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Jules took his first step yesterday!! I thought it was fluke thing, but he did it a second time!!
Yay!!

I was wondering who was going to be the first walker in the group. I wouldn't be surprised if Olivine walks by 9mo or so, she's spends most of her day practicing with her push walker, our fingers or cruising the furniture.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
awwww! cute!

(pictures... highlight the word you want to turn into a link, then click on the "insert link" button... the globe with a chain... and paste the url into the pop-up box)

My dd1 turned 5 yesterday and I was flipping through her baby book. It's fun to see the differernces/similarities in the kiddos!
Yes my kids look so similar as babies.

Thanks, now time to try it out...
Old 04-06-2010, 02:26 PM

The thing that really amused me is that dd1 walked at 7mo, while ds just started to crawl at 7mo. Of course dd2 didn't walk till 12-13mo so even in just one family there can be a huge variation on "normal".

I love "young" walkers though because they're just so dang cute!

Question- last night I had extreme stomach pain (doubled over for hours) with the pain localized in the lower right quadrant. So maybe appendix related. We did our research and decided to wait and see... if it got worse we'd figure out what to do with the kiddos and find a way to pay for an ER visit. Well, this morning things are less painful and more "dispersed" but the localized pain spot remains. My cycles haven't returned and I'm wondering if this could be my system getting back into action? Did anyone else have their cycles return with a bang? Oh, and I had food poisoning on the 31st/1st so this could also be linked to that maybe. It's the localized pain spot thaqt has me worried, but I called my dr and unless I feel suddenly worse or spike a fever they can't see me till next week. So I'm hoping this is menstrual, or food poisoning, related because that means it'll be getting better soon!

Old 04-06-2010, 02:58 PM

Wombatclay, sure sounds a bit like gallbladder pain. Appendix is on the left side. Hope the pain goes away quick and stays away. I had gallbladder attacks for many months and it was horribly painful almost as bad a childbirth.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Wombatclay, sure sounds a bit like gallbladder pain. Appendix is on the left side. Hope the pain goes away quick and stays away. I had gallbladder attacks for many months and it was horribly painful almost as bad a childbirth.
Actually, I'm pretty sure your appendix is on the right side, and appendix pain is usually experienced on the right side.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:54 PM

Appendix is right side, low down inside the pelvic girdle. (DD1 had an appendix scare and with the way I felt last night I did a lot of research ) I thought maybe gallbladder but that is generally felt higher up, inside the rib cage. Pancreatitis ditto.

My dr said that for appendix I should be running a fever (I'm not) and the pain should have stayed constant (not faded somewhat as it has). So I'm still hoping "not" for the appendix!

Old 04-06-2010, 04:23 PM

it might have been ovarian cyst or ovulation related

ladies, I have some mommy guilt. ds has just been dxed with an ear infection. friday he started not wanting to nurse while on his left side, but for a few days before that he was cranky and sleeping poorly. I thought he was teething, he never had a fever or other signs. I called my mom 9 days ago to ask her opinion and she said ear ache, but he didn't have any other signs until friday so we waited. I called the ped yesterday and saw him this morning.. my poor baby could have had an ear ache for 9 days and been in pain :

User Tag List