August 2009 Mamas & Little Babies! - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-11-2010, 04:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OMG Jonah is getting so heavy! I bet he is at or over 20 pounds now!!! I took him out by myself for the first time yesterday. It's weird that we have never been alone out of the house together, but DH and I do everything together so there wasn't ever a need. I realized that we had never had a mommy/son date the other day, so we went shopping at resale shops for new clothes, toys and a restaurant high chair cover. He is too heavy to sling carry around the stores for too long (we usually have him in his car seat carrier on a shopping cart for shopping trips or DH carries him - my carpal tunnel keeps me from doing that), so I put him in his stroller without the car seat for the first time. He LOVED it! It think he really liked the new perspective and being able to see everything. I turned him around in the stroller so he could help me pick out outfits. I ended up with some things I wouldn't really pick myself (red monkey print pjs for example) because he squealed in delight when I held them up for him, lol. I'm going to be in trouble later on when he really starts asking me to buy things for him!

Jonah usually goes to sleep for the night between 7-10. He wakes up every 1-3 hours to eat. I nurse lying down so I just pop him on the boob and go back to sleep. He has been waking up hourly for the last week or so due to a stuffy nose and/or teething. I have been suffering from insomnia as well. Last night I finally slept all night and he graciously let me have a couple 2 hour stretches of sleep. Yes! He wakes up around 6:30 on weekdays so I can feed him before I leave for work. His naps are really random lengths, from 2 hours to 30 minutes. It just depends on the day.

We gave him a sippy cup with a little water to play with this weekend. He managed to get some water in his mouth and just let it drip back out I have a feeling he might be a late solid eater. Any interest he shows in what we are eating seems to be satisfied by giving him an empty spoon. He never seems very interested when we are eating finger food. He likes the shiny utinsils, lol!

5 month pics:

His first restaurant high chair experience:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1394456...n/photostream/

Frog legs for dinner:

Floor time fun:

Happily married mom to DS (Aug 09) and two furry troublemakers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2010, 04:14 AM
Banned

Does anyone else have a REALLY CLINGY BABY? I'm dyin' here. I'm so tired I think I'm half delirious, I'm touched out, even my arms are tired from holding her, picking her up, ect.

DH is exhausted too. I guess this is just a rough patch but wow, is it rough. I don't think I have ever loved my IUD as much as I do right now.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:11 PM

DS1 was my clingy baby so I feel for you. I can't imagine having a clingy baby and 2 others to deal with too. Hopefully it passes soon. Could it be teething? Abby just broke 2 teeth this past week!

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
Old 01-12-2010, 01:47 PM

I haven't visited the thread in ages, but I should have because it's so much fun reading how all the little ones are doing!
Here, we're doing good. Simon got his first two teeth about 3 or 4 weeks ago, but he's drooling so much and biting everything I wouldn't be surprised if there are more on the way soon.
Napping is horrible at the moment, just short naps and veeery hard to put him down. Yesterday only two naps, one of 45 mins and one of 30 mins, today he has slept maybe 30 mins total. Horrible! He does sleep really well at night, only waking once or twice (I'm not even sure, I sleep right through it) and sleeps late until 8, which is great since I can get DD and DS1 ready for school and eat breakfast first. We're also working on nursing in a chair and have me or DH putting him to bed at night, so he doesn't fall asleep nursing all the time. So far we've had fairly reasonable success with that.
I didn't know the Wii Fit had that feature of weighing your baby, sounds so cool! Does the Plus have it too, we got that for Xmas also.
And the vaccine, I did get it. Here in the NL everybody who has a baby under 6 months could get the shot and I decided to do it. I was scared of Simon running a really high fever (which is one of the symptoms they say) and having to go to hospital (which is what the doc will tell you to do with an infant) and for personal reason which is that I don't want to get sick for 2 weeks! I had the flu last year and still had to get up every time which was horrible, so if I can prevent that I will. The shot did make me miserable for about 2 days, and the baby too. But we didn't get sick and my DH was in bed for 10 days when he had the H1N1 flu.
Simon is really tall but not heavy, only about 13lbs. Of course they mentioned this at the last visit, but I'm not worried. Both me and DH are slim and my other kids were/are too so it's normal for our family. I hate it when they say things like "he's very light" casually. Even though you know it's normal, it still sticks in your brain and it can even cause some insecurity regarding nursing etc. Even with my 3rd kid!
Anyway, love reading all your stories. I'll check back more often.

Christine, SAHM to DD ('05), DS1 ('07) and : DS2 ('09)
Old 01-12-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula Fairie View Post
Does anyone else have a REALLY CLINGY BABY? I'm dyin' here. I'm so tired I think I'm half delirious, I'm touched out, even my arms are tired from holding her, picking her up, ect.

DH is exhausted too. I guess this is just a rough patch but wow, is it rough. I don't think I have ever loved my IUD as much as I do right now.
Hey Lindsey,
Last week DD2 was super clingy.... just like you are describing. I'm happy to say that this week is slightly better..... hopefully it's just a phase for you. I think it was the start of separation anxiety for my LO, and the idea of it/concept of it scared her....
~maddymama
Old 01-12-2010, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Hi, LilWin! I just found out that an old pen pal of mine is a LLL in Amsterdam - so exciting to reconnect with her after about 10 years (yay, FB!)

DD's sleep schedule is still pretty variable. We are pretty much all always in bed by 8 or 9 - DH has to get up EARLY for work and it works better for us to all go to bed earlyish. She will usually sleep 4 - 6 hours, and then wake up a few more times before up for the day between 6 - 7 AM - just to nurse, though, I think she's been awake and ready to play about 2x in her life in the middle of the night. Occasionally she'll have a nurse-every-two-hours night. Yes, I DO know how lucky I am - DS1 never slept longer than 2 hours at a time until he was nearly 2 years old. Then she will take 3 - 4 naps during the day - but sometimes they are really short. On days like today when I am home alone with her working, she will sleep a lot, usually, though - catching up, because when her big brothers are around life is way too exciting for long naps.

Lindsey, I was going to type : but maybe not if you're touched out! Hope things get easier soon!

Here as mama to W (2/04), R (5/06), D (7/09), and J (12/9/12!), co-parenting with my DH

I WOH part-time, am a doula & childbirth educator, home/unschool, and hope we are nearing the center of chaos

Old 01-12-2010, 06:30 PM
Banned

I thought it was teething, but she hasn't broken any teeth and she's been like this for weeks.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:53 PM

Talula- my dd2 was like that. She was eventually diagnosed with sensory processing disorder and entered play therapy... just knowing the reason for her clinging helped, but her first year was really really hard on me physically as well as emotionally (she was diagnosed around 18mo). I hope it's a phase that passes soon, but if not, see if you can get a visit with a developmental ped. I wish we'd known to do it sooner... seriously, I could not put dd2 down without non-stop screams. Even dh couldn't hold her. It was so draining. Hang in there and do what you can to get breaks... even a few minutes can help.

Tor had his 5mo visit. Twenty pounds and twebty-seven inches. My little chub! I put some pictures on flickr (here, then scroll down).

My 4yo got a 2nd degree burn at preschool last week (hot tea spilled on her hand) and they didn't call me! We worked it out with the preschool and dd1 is feeling a lot better (we're using the medicated burn lotion from the dr till the blisters are gone/skin isn't gooey, then we'll use a honey/aloe/calendula blend) but it's been a crazy week.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Old 01-14-2010, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilian View Post
DS1 was my clingy baby so I feel for you. I can't imagine having a clingy baby and 2 others to deal with too. Hopefully it passes soon. Could it be teething? Abby just broke 2 teeth this past week!
OH WOW! Kings has been super crazy the past 5 days and i just saw today that a tooth broke thru, the top front right one!!

Mom to K and R

Old 01-14-2010, 06:48 PM

Here's his 5 month pic!
He is also 20 lbs

Mom to K and R

Old 01-14-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula Fairie View Post
I thought it was teething, but she hasn't broken any teeth and she's been like this for weeks.
I feel for ya babe! If it weren't for babywearing i would have lost my mind by now!

Mom to K and R

Old 01-14-2010, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadelbosque View Post
DS2's usually out by 9-10pm and we get up in the morning ~7-8am usually. I don't know how much he wakes up at night, though the last week its been a lot. But, tbh, I'm pretty sure he's about to start teething and I'm kind of assuming thats it.
this is us exactly!!

Mom to K and R

Old 01-15-2010, 09:31 AM

oops, duplicate!

Sarah. Married to my Mirus, raising my DD1 (Aug. '09) and my DD2 (March '11) and waiting for my newest (April '14)!
Old 01-15-2010, 09:33 AM

Hi guys!

It's been a while (seems to be a common thing to say! lol) since I checked in. I LOVE reading about all the LO's and their growth!

I'm still reeling that a year ago we were just getting to know each other and posting about morning sickness. What a difference a year makes!

Adelaide just had her (late) 4 month well baby visit. She is 16 pounds 5 ounces and 25 1/4 inches. Only up 1/4 inch from her 2 month appt but almost 4 lbs since then. Our ped was pretty surprised to see her nonchalantly sitting up trying to grab his pen, his nametag, or anything else she could get. We were pretty surprised when the ped noticed two teeth on top coming in; we had only noticed the one on the bottom that she's been working on!

In one week she rolled over both ways, cut a tooth, lost the tooth (it went back in!), started sitting, started to babble, discovered gravity, and started to blow raspberries! With all this growth she stopped sleeping through the night and we're working on getting some decent stretches of sleep again.

I've also fallen in love with diaperswappers. I am no longer allowed to visit the FSOT unsupervised lol.

I'm going to go back to reading everyone's updates now, hopefully I can get caught up soon!

Here's a video of the day we noticed her sitting on her own.

Sarah. Married to my Mirus, raising my DD1 (Aug. '09) and my DD2 (March '11) and waiting for my newest (April '14)!
Old 01-15-2010, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
dislocator3972, cute video. Jules does the same thing.

wombatclay, crazy about the burn. My brother got a serious burn by putting his foot in a bucket of hot ashes and coals, and we used lavender oil directly on his foot. Better in a few days, amazing. Hope she feels better!

I love all the pics! I keep meaning to take some but it just never happens.

Jules it totally crawling. Forwards is slow, but backwards and sideways, he can get all around.

I think he is getting teeth (hoping that would explain everything). I have tried giving him (and me drinking too) chamomile tea and clear magnesium. Or giving him an epsom salt bath. On the night when I remember this, he sleep pretty good, only waking up 2 times. If you think 2 times is bad still, then consider us waking up 10 times before.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:37 AM

Is anyone else's baby not rolling over? I think it's my fault for holding her so much and not giving enough floor time! She has been creeping across the floors for 3 months now, but is just now starting to use her arms for support. She's also sitting up for several seconds at a time, which is exciting.

Partnered mama with DD (01/04) and DD (08/09) and 8 critters, including a !
Old 01-16-2010, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Raene, I think all babies are different . . . I never gave either of my boys much floor time at all because they hated it. DS1 crawled @ 6 mo and walked @ 9 mo. DS2 WALKED at 7.5 mo and crawled at 10 mo. DD really likes floor time, rolls a lot, and creeps a little. She can't sit up for very long by herself yet, though. I expect she will crawl before walking, and I think it'll be relatively soon, but who knows?

How is your LO? I remember that she was very ill at birth, but I don't remember seeing much about how she progressed - but she must be doing pretty well if she's creeping & almost sitting!

DD is either teething or getting a cold or something - the past few nights have been rough - although this past one was a little better.

Gotta get to work, here - I feel very muzzy-headed.

Here as mama to W (2/04), R (5/06), D (7/09), and J (12/9/12!), co-parenting with my DH

I WOH part-time, am a doula & childbirth educator, home/unschool, and hope we are nearing the center of chaos

Old 01-16-2010, 03:54 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raene View Post
Is anyone else's baby not rolling over? I think it's my fault for holding her so much and not giving enough floor time! She has been creeping across the floors for 3 months now, but is just now starting to use her arms for support. She's also sitting up for several seconds at a time, which is exciting.
Olivine doesn't really roll over yet. She has rolled from her belly to her back a couple of times around 3mo, but I haven't seen her do it in a while. She also doesn't really like tummy time and starts yelling pretty fast.. She doesn't seem like she's anywhere near rolling from her back to her belly, I've never seen her remotely attempt this. However, she's been sitting up since 4mo and now at 5mo can sit unsupported for a very long time..

Sitting #1

Sitting #2

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11 + Someone New in May 2015! After years of planning, we are finally living our dream in South America!!
Old 01-16-2010, 07:32 PM

Hey Ladies!!

I have not been here much since the ddc closed.

Bradly is a chunky 20lbs and got his first tooth on the 13th. His second is trying to come in and prolly will in the next day or so. He is also rolling around everywere. Tries to crawl but cannot lift himself.( lol go figure)How is everyone?

Kim: Wife To Colby. Mommy To DS1 Christopher and DS2 Bradly. :
Old 01-16-2010, 07:39 PM

about the teething bradly was cranky for weeks. The ped. said its not them breaking through thats painful its more them moving up... I dunno but sounds good lol.

Also I wanted to add he just learned to roll over a couple of days ago. He just did it out of nowhere if that helps anyone.

Old 01-16-2010, 07:57 PM

Ok I Gotta Share a Few.

B&W
Big Bubby
Another Of DS1 Love the hair
Chunky feet
Last One

Old 01-16-2010, 09:44 PM

Awwwww! Such cute babes!

Tor is loving his exersaucer... all he wants to do these days is jump. Jump, jump, jump, jump, jump! He starts laughing and bouncing and is just... I don't know.... infectiously happy when jumping. You just can't not smile.

Which is good because teething still has his sleep messed up (and my sleep too) so smiles are thin on the ground otherwise.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Old 01-17-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamabeakley View Post

How is your LO? I remember that she was very ill at birth, but I don't remember seeing much about how she progressed - but she must be doing pretty well if she's creeping & almost sitting!
She's doing very well. Actually, she rolled over this morning for the first time now! So...never mind

She's a very healthy baby, just tiny (10 pounds now). She doesn't seem far behind, other than not being able to hold on to toys because her hands are clenched shut. An occupational therapist comes once a week to work on them and they are definitely improving. She can grab toys, but rarely has the hand strength to keep holding them. She's a lovely being though and is doing amazingly all things considered.

Partnered mama with DD (01/04) and DD (08/09) and 8 critters, including a !
Old 01-17-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
She's doing very well. Actually, she rolled over this morning for the first time now! So...never mind

She's a very healthy baby, just tiny (10 pounds now). She doesn't seem far behind, other than not being able to hold on to toys because her hands are clenched shut. An occupational therapist comes once a week to work on them and they are definitely improving. She can grab toys, but rarely has the hand strength to keep holding them. She's a lovely being though and is doing amazingly all things considered.
Raene,
I'm so glad to hear she's doing so well!
~maddymama
Old 01-18-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:

Yes, so glad to hear she is doing well

Mom to K and R

Old 01-18-2010, 07:17 PM

raene: Silas hasn't rolled over yet (5months on the 25th) nor does he sit up alone yet. DS1 was slower to do these things too. I think it's a factor of bulky cloth diapers, mostly being held or in the sling and having an exceptionally big head.
I try not to worry about it too much...

Here's a couple of recent-ish photos
making my mom's b-day cake in early december
endlessly entertained by big brother
Old 01-18-2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
My baby isn't rolling over either way yet....and she's 5 mos old. I hold her a lot and don't give her much floor/alone time. I'm not too worried. DD1 didn't roll until 7-8mos old....probably b/c I held her a lot too.

SAHM to 2 daughters (conceived thru IVF) and one baby on the way (conceived without medical intervention)

Old 01-18-2010, 09:24 PM

Quote:

that is wonderful
Old 01-18-2010, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

for you and DD, Raene!

My computer experienced black-screen-of-death all yesterday and this morning, and while I have recovered it I feel wrung out by the experience. I know in the larger scheme of things this is not very important at all, but I work 3 part time jobs from home with this thing besides recreational use and it was a minor catastrophe.

DD seems like she's teething to me. But is doing okay with it. She is starting to be able to sit up - yay!

Old 01-18-2010, 11:42 PM

I'm relieved to hear other August mamas have LO that aren't rolling over yet. My DS who is a little over 5 months doesn't show any interest in rolling either way. We cloth diaper and I do wear him a lot so maybe that makes a difference like a PP said. DS can sit by himself for minutes at a time but that's as far as he has progressed. He doesn't make any effort to move himself anywhere. I guess I just have to let him move (or not) at his own pace. It's crazy to me that our LO's are 5 months old!

Maria blahblah.gif, wife to A malesling.GIF, mama to DS M 8/09 2whistle.gif and DS L 6/12 biggrinbounce.gif

Everything will be ok in the end.  If it's not ok, then it's not the end - Paolo Coelho  

User Tag List