Concern about Gross Motor Development - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 11-17-2009, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We saw my LO's Dr. yesterday (ND) and she was concerned about his GMD. She told us we should consider getting him evaluated for therapy. So, I'm trying to decide whether or not we should get the evaluation and I'd love any advice/suggestions, etc.

Important info about his GMD:
~He's 16.5 mos. old and not yet walking but starting to take a couple steps on his own now and then
~ALL of his GM skills have been slow-in-coming, late roller, scooter, crawler, etc.
~He is progressing, steadily, in the "normal" order, just 1-3 mos. behind average
~His fine motor skills and his other developmental stuff (social/cognitive, etc.) seem to be right on track
~He was adopted, but we were involved w/ Bmom before birth. I attended his birth and we were able to bring him home with us from the hospital. The pregnancy and birth were quite conventional, but left no reason for concern.

Other considerations:
~My dh & parents don't think we should bother (though these types of things are really up to me and no one will complain if I decided to act)
~We have no insurance and I doubt that we could afford therapy out-of-pocket if it were recommended
~*IF* there is something wrong, the earlier we intervene, the better our chances of "fixing" the issue

I'm pretty laid-back and believe kiddos usually develop just fine on their own time line. My concern for his GMD is very very mild. I wonder about those charts. What is the 15 mo. walker milestone really based on? Does it look at children from around the world or only mainstream American children (curious because our kids aren't parented like mainstream kids)? How/when do children from other cultures walk?

OTOH, if there is some kind of issue, I obviously don't want to ignore it. And I want to take advantage of early intervention programs if they're appropriate.

Anyone have similar experiences? Any ideas/suggestions/insights? What would you do?

Urban homesteader wanna be and homeschooling mama to the artist : 1/2003 and the peanut 6/2008 :
#2 of 11 Old 11-17-2009, 11:11 PM

I can't speak from much experience, but I wonder if the doctor gave you any idea of what the GM therapy would involve? Are there things you could be doing at home to encourage progress, or has the doctor decided that time is up and he needs professional help?

From what I know about GM therapy for kids this age (admittedly not very much), I believe it's mostly directed play with a trained PT. So it's not as if it would be rigorous or painful for him, but it does make me wonder if the PT could just give you exercises/games/equipment to use at home.

CPST ***I can help keep your child safe in the car. Ask me a car seat question!***
#3 of 11 Old 11-18-2009, 12:12 AM

Most states have what is called 'early intervention' services. They are free and usually come to your home. The evaluation should also be free. I would ask your Dr. about a free evaluation of some sort. The one here in Kansas is called Screen for Sucess, it is a totally free evaluation done by professionals in gross motor, fine motor, speech, cognitive abilites and hearing.
If nothing else, attending a free evaluation might alleviate any worry you have and make your Dr. feel better.

Angie

Angie - mom to Allie 12/01, Ephram 07/09  and Asher 3/1/11
#4 of 11 Old 11-18-2009, 12:24 AM

Amoreena I'll post here and on FB.
Michael did not walk until he was a bit over 17 or 18 months. He would stand some but would.not.walk. His dr never said anything about it at all and you've met Michael, nothing could stop him now. Once he started I think he skipped walking all together and went straight for running and jumping. Thats really all my experience with it but if you are worried it probably could not hurt anything. I'll bet there is a free service here. Maybe call the early learning center. They have one just down the street from me next to Burton.

Allison wife and mom to four. 

#5 of 11 Old 11-18-2009, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabble View Post
From what I know about GM therapy for kids this age (admittedly not very much), I believe it's mostly directed play with a trained PT. So it's not as if it would be rigorous or painful for him, but it does make me wonder if the PT could just give you exercises/games/equipment to use at home.
I have two friends who are pediatric PTs. One is a very close family friend. They are amazing with kids. I would LOVE to have them come to my home and work with me and my baby, just for fun! If you are even a little bit worried, why not do the free eval? You're likely to learn some interesting things from it, and possibly you can get hooked up with a really great PT? (btw, the two who I know are extremely pro-AP, not "mainstream" parents themselves and certainly wouldn't make assumptions about their patients)

Of course you should trust your gut on this.

dissertating mom to three

#6 of 11 Old 11-18-2009, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audmommy View Post
Most states have what is called 'early intervention' services. They are free and usually come to your home. The evaluation should also be free. I would ask your Dr. about a free evaluation of some sort. The one here in Kansas is called Screen for Sucess, it is a totally free evaluation done by professionals in gross motor, fine motor, speech, cognitive abilites and hearing.
If nothing else, attending a free evaluation might alleviate any worry you have and make your Dr. feel better.

Angie
If you can get an early intervention evaluation get one! Most states are free or on some lower sliding scale fee. The evals are usually free. It will put your mind at ease OR get your little one some early help that may get them on track. Check the phone book for early intervention. We did the speech portion but they did a total eval in case he needed OT or PT. Ours was done in home.

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#7 of 11 Old 11-18-2009, 01:24 AM

My dd2 is also 16 months and not walking. She has slightly low tone all over and her ankles are a bit flexible. She's been in PT for 4 months and it has really helped. She was very fearful of standing, bending and taking steps but now she does all of it. It's been fun for her too! Basically they play with a lot of really fun toys, but they have to pull up to get them, or stand, or twist... whatever she needs to work on.

I've been told that going forward we will have to keep an eye on her overall muscle development--her left side is stronger than her right and it could develop too unevenly and cause her problems later on.

I would definitely get an evaluation if you can. If you can't manage PT, a baby gym class could also help, dd1 really loved gymboree and it gave her a lot of confidence.
#8 of 11 Old 11-18-2009, 02:36 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses everyone. Although my natural inclination is to let my LO develop at his own pace and avoid interfering (aka intervening). I suppose the responsible thing to do is to get the evaluation done and THEN decided what course of action to take.

I think I will look into the free/low cost options in my area.

Urban homesteader wanna be and homeschooling mama to the artist : 1/2003 and the peanut 6/2008 :
#9 of 11 Old 11-18-2009, 12:07 PM

Here in Iowa, if your child has a 25% delay (according to their evaluation) or some sort of diagnosis (torticollis in our situation), you can get a physical therapist come out for free as often as needed. I bet your state has something similar. So long as you can get free services, I'd do it. Physical therapy is usually lots of fun for the kids and it really helps them.

mama to DD (7), DS (3.5), and another DS arriving in August!

#10 of 11 Old 11-18-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meenajo View Post
Thanks for the responses everyone. Although my natural inclination is to let my LO develop at his own pace and avoid interfering (aka intervening).
I am completely with you on this one. But. As my pedi said, a little physical therapy never hurt anyone. I didn't want my DD diagnosed with something and poked and prodded and tested etc and that hasn't happened at all. What has happened is that she's gotten more independent and less frustrated because she can do things for herself. A trip to the playground or indoor play area is now awesome good fun because she can get around and play with the big kids and I don't think she would be there yet if she hadn't had the PT.

I hope you find a solution that works for your family. Good luck!
#11 of 11 Old 11-18-2009, 05:27 PM

my dd didn't walk until almost 17 months and she was considered normal. i think we put way too much pressure on our kids to develop and we really do worry to much over conformity!

my son was a 30 wkr and he got pt 2x/week in our home through early interventions. call your local health dept. to find out how to get a free eval set up for your ds. he was delayed more on the order of 50% + and didn't walk until he was over 2 and didn't eat solids until almost 3. also, we were followed by a developmental psychologist through our local school district until age 5.

good luck! my 3 1/2 yr old did things a little later than her peers, but i feel like she followed her own schedule.

Jen-loving Bill, mama to Teryn 18, Kalyn 16, Ricky 13, Natalie 5, Angel Zoe '07 and rainbow1284.gifAmelia Rae 22 mos bonus kids (dss) W 14, W 13 NEW grandbaby due 10/10/11

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page