How often do you give motrin/tylenol for teething? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 11-23-2009, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When we give motrin or tylenol at night for teething our dd really does sleep better, but it feels like there is teeth coming in so often in the first two years. I guess I was just curious if you use these meds for teething how often you would use them in a month, week, day?
Thanks-
#2 of 17 Old 11-23-2009, 12:28 AM

I have 3 dc, ages 4.5, 2.5, and 9 months. I only used tylenol with my second, and only a handful of times when he was really miserable. When he would let me, and with the other two, I give them ice water, rub their gums, nurse lots and lots, hold them lots, massage their jaws, a little bit of hyland's teething tablets, or give them a cool washcloth to chew on or an actual teether.

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

#3 of 17 Old 11-23-2009, 12:31 AM

Once so far (she's on her second tooth at 7 months old). She was just having such a bad night and seemed miserable. I think it helped.

Usually something cold to chew on works well enough, though.

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#4 of 17 Old 11-23-2009, 12:44 AM

DS is 10 mths, and we've only used tylenol for teething once, in an emergency situation. I considered it an emergency, anyway, because the poor kid wouldn't nurse or sleep. It was miserable. Tylenol was a last resort after teething tablets, ice and baby orajel.

Wife to DH (10/2004) ~ Mama to DS (1/2009) ~ belly.gif (11/2011)
#5 of 17 Old 11-23-2009, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Not at all. The teethers she can chew on seem to give her enough relief.

Mom of two girls.
#6 of 17 Old 11-23-2009, 01:04 PM

We only give Tylenol if they are really uncomfortable and unable to sleep. I think for my daughter that was around 6 times for all her teeth and my son was maybe 3 times for all his teeth.

During the day, we use cold teethers and washclothes and nursing, but at night, Tylenol was very helpfull in letting them go to sleep.

Mama of three.

#7 of 17 Old 11-23-2009, 05:39 PM

For teething, we'll use it at night. Motrin mostly since it's an anti-inflammatory. She handles teething pretty well, but it makes her restless at night. Motrin helps her settle and sleep well. So, I'll give it to her once at night for however long she seems uncomfortable. Usually a few days at a time.

If I'm using it for a fever, Tylenol can be given every 4 hours, Motrin every 6. We've only had to do that once, for a day.

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

#8 of 17 Old 11-23-2009, 11:52 PM

never. we use hylands teething tablets. they work great.
#9 of 17 Old 11-24-2009, 03:43 AM

We've only used it once. I think it was right when they were cutting through the gum and he was acting like he felt horrible. I mostly use teething tablets and orajel. He always makes the funniest faces when we use the orajel but man DH and I decided to try it out ourselves a few weeks ago and I can see why now. Yuuuck.

Madalyn military wife to Chris & proud momma to Jonas 5/17/09
#10 of 17 Old 11-24-2009, 04:01 AM

Never. We use Hylands teething tablets and clove oil for babies.

Happily married and unschooling 5 kiddos Oct. 2004, July, 2007, July, 2009, Oct. 2010, Nov. 2012 uc.jpg

#11 of 17 Old 11-24-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartwren View Post
When we give motrin or tylenol at night for teething our dd really does sleep better, but it feels like there is teeth coming in so often in the first two years. I guess I was just curious if you use these meds for teething how often you would use them in a month, week, day?
Thanks-

In my home, conventional medicine augments homeopathy. Homeopathic treatments are utilized first and conventional medicine is utilized, if necessary.

DD's severe teething pain simply wasn't relieved with teething tablets, cold wash cloths, or wooden teething rings alone. DD was given some acetominophen (Tylenol) when she was in noticible teething pain. During these periods, I wasn't giving her more than two or three doses per 24 hours (late afternoon, before bed and middle of the night). These periods usually lasted no more than 2 days.

HTH!

Libby blahblah.gif, momma to my precious little girl (6/29/07) 
                        and wonderful little man (12/1/10)

#12 of 17 Old 11-24-2009, 10:55 AM

#13 of 17 Old 11-24-2009, 12:13 PM

I've used tylenol twice with my son when he had pretty much been crying all day. For the most part we use cold washcloths for him to chew.
#14 of 17 Old 11-26-2009, 10:50 PM

I just did it for the first time tonight. DS is normally a super happy baby and he rarely cries (and never cries for no reason.) Tonight he was crying on and off for nearly 2 hours and wouldn't nurse or fall asleep. I could tell he's cutting a tooth. I tried teething toys and a cold wet washcloth, but nothing helped for more than a few minutes...and then he'd begin crying again. So I broke down and gave him some tylenol. He fell asleep about 30 minutes later. Poor baby.

mama to DD (7), DS (3.5), and another DS arriving in August!

#15 of 17 Old 11-26-2009, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthie's momma View Post
In my home, conventional medicine augments homeopathy. Homeopathic treatments are utilized first and conventional medicine is utilized, if necessary.

DD's severe teething pain simply wasn't relieved with teething tablets, cold wash cloths, or wooden teething rings alone. DD was given some acetominophen (Tylenol) when she was in noticible teething pain. During these periods, I wasn't giving her more than two or three doses per 24 hours (late afternoon, before bed and middle of the night). These periods usually lasted no more than 2 days.

HTH!
This!

We try everything else first, distraction, cuddles, hylands, teethers, cold things to chew on, etc. If nothing works I give her one dose in the afternoon (when it usually peaks), one before bed if she is in pain again, and very rarely in the middle of the night if she is inconsolable.

It is a last resort to me but if everything else fails to bring her comfort and calm her down, I don't hesitate to relieve her pain. I think the important thing is that you do try other remedies and don't go for the drugs first!

Beth knit.gif.  wife to DH and Mama to DD1 heartbeat.gif (May 1-09) and DD2 heartbeat.gif (Nov 2-11)   

#16 of 17 Old 11-26-2009, 11:44 PM

Be careful with Tylenol. It depletes the glutathione in the liver.

Jennifer - mother to Wyatt (Feb 2008)
#17 of 17 Old 11-27-2009, 11:01 AM

we have never given Motrin/Tylenol for teething. We prefer natural ways (like a cold wash cloth, lots of cuddling, ect)..I found that if my little man got use to the teething pain it was easier in the long run. He currently has 4 teeth and is working on another 2. Now it never bothers him. It was hard a first but worth it in the end.

Me-Brenda (wife as of 10/9/2005 and SAHM), DH-Rudy, DS-Isaiah 3/2009, DS-Micah 5/2011. We are a BF, Baby wearing, non-vacc, future homeschooling, homebirthing , traditional, family. The center of our home is Christ .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page