Advice on travel with baby - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-19-2004, 02:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're about to venture into warmer climes with our 7-month-old. (It's been about 5 degrees here and we'll be in the Caribbean for 7 days! It will only be the second vacation I've ever taken in my adult life!) But I would like advice/recommendations on a few things:

- Best baby sunblock, i.e. good balance between natural and effective ? (We have an SPF flap sunhat for him as well as an SPF playsuit/swimsuit.)

- Best sling/carrier for warm weather ?

- Car seat dilemma. DS has grown out of his baby bucket. Actually, weightwise he's just under the mark, but he's now about 2.5" too long for the seat. The seat we've switched to is way too big to travel with. We'll only need a carseat for 2-4 taxi rides at our destination because we didn't buy a plane ticket for DS this time. So what to do?? Is it safe enough to risk these short taxi rides in the old bucket? Or do we need to (god forbid) buy yet another carseat to cover this travel gap?? Anyone BTDT? For the record, DS weighs 19.5-20 lbs. and is about 28.5" long.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
#2 of 7 Old 02-19-2004, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by melixxa
- Best baby sunblock, i.e. good balance between natural and effective ? (We have an SPF flap sunhat for him as well as an SPF playsuit/swimsuit.)
For dd I used Aubrey Organics' green tea sunblock for children SPF 25 (www.aubrey-organics.com) that I picked up at a local health-type grocery store (Choices Markets). It's the only one I've tried & it seemed to work fine (used in Mexico & Hawaii). It was quite hard to spread evenly, though, but I don't know if that's just because of the high SPF :

- Best sling/carrier for warm weather ?
I would think something in a light cotton (that folds up small) would be best. Maybe a maya wrap-type sling or a didymos (sp?)-type wrap.

- Car seat dilemma. DS has grown out of his baby bucket. Actually, weightwise he's just under the mark, but he's now about 2.5" too long for the seat. The seat we've switched to is way too big to travel with. We'll only need a carseat for 2-4 taxi rides at our destination because we didn't buy a plane ticket for DS this time. So what to do?? Is it safe enough to risk these short taxi rides in the old bucket? Or do we need to (god forbid) buy yet another carseat to cover this travel gap?? Anyone BTDT? For the record, DS weighs 19.5-20 lbs. and is about 28.5" long.
I would take the bucket. Ds is 20 lbs, about 29" & still in his. We really need to get a booster for dd so he can go in her convertible (which we are working on & will probably get in the next couple of days), but in the mean time, I think the bucket is still pretty safe.
Have a great trip to the

Helen wash.gif Homeschooling Mama to Nicola photosmile2.gif 07/00 , Daniel kewl.gif 05/03 & cat.gifX2...and hug.gif with Barry caffix.gif since 08/87
#3 of 7 Old 02-19-2004, 04:17 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
I highly recommend that you get the best sun care that money can buy, lol! I use Dr. Hauschka because I live in Germany but you can find it or similar quality were you are.

The reason I say this is because my DC has a mild sensitivity to sunscreen and if she is irritated once it’s on life sucks. Also, try the sunscreen before you leave on DC’s face to be sure there is no reaction. My DC reacts to even some “clean” products.

A stick for the face is also really handy!

For the sling, they do make some for water and warm weather but I haven’t tried one. I would caution about getting a new sling right before you go but I’m sure you thought of that. I’m switching slings for a trip and I’m giving myself 4 months to get used to the new one (it is a didymos type so I feel like I need to practice!).

I would also just stick with your other carseat. If you’re going to travel lots, you may consider investing in the sit-n-stoll travel carseat – I love mine! It’s really only worth it though if you travel a few X/year.

Have fun. Are you going to tell us where you’re going or are you just being polite because you don’t want to make us jealous? I am so ready for a tropical exotic vacation…Europe is getting old.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#4 of 7 Old 02-19-2004, 12:03 PM

melixxa I would suggest you bring the big car seat... Most airlines will allow you to use a seat if there is an open seat on the plane even if you haven't already paid for a seat. Also good to know info about planes... Bring your big combersome stroller filled w/all your crap, all the way to the gate, they will stow it for you so you don't have to worry about checking it, it getting damaged or lost. And you get it back the second you come off the plane, so you can putt all your crap back in it to go to the baggage check with some of your hands freer. Somehting i didn't know the first time i flew w/a babe. That i think is the best kept secret!!! hee hee!
#5 of 7 Old 02-19-2004, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by IdentityCrisisMama
I highly recommend that you get the best sun care that money can buy, lol! I use Dr. Hauschka because I live in Germany but you can find it or similar quality were you are.

The reason I say this is because my DC has a mild sensitivity to sunscreen and if she is irritated once it’s on life sucks. Also, try the sunscreen before you leave on DC’s face to be sure there is no reaction. My DC reacts to even some “clean” products.

A stick for the face is also really handy!
This is good advice. DS does seem to be pretty sensitive, and we have an ongoing eczema problem. I will see what advice I can get at Pharmaca, too.

It galls me to think about all those years *I* lived in Germany and never appreciated Dr. Hauschke. Now I 'm playing the big bucks for these products.

Quote:
Originally posted by IdentityCrisisMama
Have fun. Are you going to tell us where you’re going or are you just being polite because you don’t want to make us jealous? I am so ready for a tropical exotic vacation…Europe is getting old.
Yes, this will be my FIRST tropical vacation - and we live in the mountains above 8,500 feet so it's been a bit chilly (and will get more so). We're actually going on a CRUISE, which I find wonderfully exciting and wonderfully cheesy at the same time. Hopefully it will provide us with opportunity for rest, relaxation, fun and snarking in equal amounts. (Anyone read David Foter Wallace's essay on cruise life in his book of nonfiction whose name escapes me right now? I must find that again as it was hilarious - or at least was when I was 30 and footloose and fancy free.)

Anyway, this is also why we're trying to travel light. MIL gave us a Britax Marathon for Christmas and there's no way we are ever taking that thing out of the car again. Will take an old umbrella stroller along for use in the restaurants (and to check at the gate - such a great flying amenity!).

Mama2Nichole: This is just what I wanted to know - if other ostensibly too big babies are still in buckets. And how safe it is. I don't see how a few inches to tall can be unsafe. Does anyone know anything about this?

I don't know why I asked about the sling. It's not like I'm going to get a new one. Though I have had my eye on my SIL's maya wrap (it is so thin and cool-looking and simple in design) and thought I might borrow it. And it's not too different from my OTSBH, which is the sling DS is most used to - we used it exclusively for his first 4 months, then also added a Kangaroo Korner fleece (for the cold) and a Baby Bjorn (for Daddy). I also got an Ergo for Christmas, which we're still getting used to but which I am going to bring on the trip with us anyway because it's so comfortable and multifunctional. I have high hopes for it.
#6 of 7 Old 02-19-2004, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by melixxa
Mama2Nichole: This is just what I wanted to know - if other ostensibly too big babies are still in buckets. And how safe it is. I don't see how a few inches to tall can be unsafe. Does anyone know anything about this?
Actually, a friend with a baby the same age was just at the dr. the other day. He is 19 lbs & 27.5" & the dr. said he was fine in the bucket until he was 20 lbs, so I don't know . If I get a chance, I'll ask my neighbour who is a public health nurse - she'll know.

Helen wash.gif Homeschooling Mama to Nicola photosmile2.gif 07/00 , Daniel kewl.gif 05/03 & cat.gifX2...and hug.gif with Barry caffix.gif since 08/87
#7 of 7 Old 02-20-2004, 01:24 AM

Melixxa-
I have a bunch of the same questions, mainly the carseat one. In a few weeks we are going to Florida to visit my mil with our (now) 6 mo old. She has been out of her bucket seat for maybe two months, as it only went up to 26". Her convertable seat is a Evenflo Triumph 5, and is pretty heavy. I cannot imagine lugging it between 3 flights. DD is still under the 20# limit, so I am really interested to hear others' opinions on the safety of exceeding the height limit. I don't know, we are a little compulsive about safety issues here.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page