Very congested newborn - what can I do? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 02-19-2004, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ds who is a month old, seems to have caught his big sister's cold and is very congested. This is especially bad at night. I have a vaporizer going and try to have him sleep in his bouncy seat. Is there anything else I can do for him?

TIA!
#2 of 14 Old 02-19-2004, 02:21 PM

Humidify the whole house if you can. Take the vaporizer from room to room during the day.

Use a nasal bulb syringe to get the crud out.

You can use saline nasal drops to loosen up the mucus. You can buy them or make your own (do a search to find the correct ratios.)

Nurse nurse nurse to help loosen it also.
#3 of 14 Old 02-19-2004, 02:46 PM

things I"ve used are:

steaming DD in the shower three times a day
(ie standing in the bathroom as I steam it right up, and then stay in there for a while - helps to keep it loose and runny!)

when i"m nursing, i spray my milk up her nostrils to help clean it out

Suction to get it out.....once I even sucked and spat - though not my favourite method!!!!

Ate vitamin c and roasted garlic myself to help her fight it - and I understand that rubbing flax seed oil on their belly helps to boost their immune system (ie it is absorbed into their system at a time when they are not eating) but I don't know if you want to try that with a one month old (maybe ask a health care person of sorts?) We did it with DD at 2 months, and it was fine.

Best of luck! We're finally recovering from an illness that older DD got, then passed on to younger DD and now I realize that illnesses are going to go on for a longer period of time now that we have two!!!:

Living life as fully as we can, with our three fellow adventure-seekers ~ K (2000), T (2003) and R (2007).  
#4 of 14 Old 02-19-2004, 02:52 PM

slice an onion in half and leave it in the room while your baby is sleeping.
worked for us.
#5 of 14 Old 02-19-2004, 08:15 PM

definitely try the vaporizer and cleaning out. Make sure if you do use a vaporizer that it is steaming really well. If it doesn't, put a pich of salt in the water and mix well. Works like a champ!
#6 of 14 Old 02-19-2004, 08:41 PM

I don't want to be the devil's advocate here, but i have been told by various sources that vaporizers are not recommended anymore because the spew mold spores into the air making it worse for the baby. Unless you either change the filter every day, or use the Cold Mist vaporizer... I don't know if this is all true, but that's what i've been told, and have read recently.

Both my kids were really congested after birth, my first was for a year!!! I ALWAYS used the saline and sucked it out with a bulb syringe... every day!!! seemed to help a bit.
#7 of 14 Old 02-19-2004, 11:31 PM

When my ds was a baby the absolute best decongestant was breast milk. I was never a talented sprayer, so I would pump a little and use a medicine dropper to put some up his nose.

He of course absolutely hated this, but it would clear him up for a few hours at a time. I learned that it has to be fresh breastmilk though - no pumping ahead of time for this one.
#8 of 14 Old 02-19-2004, 11:48 PM

Everyone has posted great suggestions. I just want you to consider that a cold in a newborn can be quite serious if the virus happens to be RSV. It is the season for RSV. My newborn caught it from his 2 year old brother about this time last year. We ended up in the hospital for a week. Your baby may just have a mild cold, or not.
#9 of 14 Old 02-20-2004, 12:42 AM

Johnson's has a new Baby Vapor Cream and Baby Vapor Bath that can be used on infants 4 months and older (I believe). Or...if you're in the shower with your baby, try putting a little eucalyptus oil on a washcloth and placing it in the shower... will help. Although your son is too young for the vapor bath (to be in it), you can put some in the shower as well...and he should benefit from the vapors.

I like breastmilk over saline...as it's premade.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#10 of 14 Old 02-20-2004, 12:55 AM

Quote:
when i"m nursing, i spray my milk up her nostrils to help clean it out
I had to second and third this suggestion. When my daughter was a tiny baby squirting breast milk up her nose worked wonders for her nasal congestion.

JoyfulMomma
#11 of 14 Old 02-20-2004, 01:50 AM

when you suction out the babe's nose, hold one side closed. you'll notice you get more out.

my ds was congested the first three months as well.
#12 of 14 Old 02-22-2004, 07:32 PM

Just wanted to add that its best to stop all dairy product when your babe has a cold. They can go through your breastmilk and cause even more congestion.
#13 of 14 Old 02-24-2004, 01:30 AM

Good point about the steam vaporizer- I actually meant the cool mist one. It is what we use 24-7 to keep our house humid to help dd's skin.

How is the baby?
#14 of 14 Old 02-24-2004, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the great suggestions. The congestion is now in ds's chest but he did much better last night so I think it is passing. He was having a hard time every morning from about 4:30-7am but he slept really well last night. DD is over her cold also, thank goodness.

I am ready for spring. No more colds!

Thanks again everybody!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page