Do you take your LO to movies or live events/shows? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 12-08-2009, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering if anyone else does this and what issues have occurred? I am really wanting to see New Moon (I know, I know, it's silly lol), and I'm thinking it should be ok to go and just take my almost 3 month old DS, right? I would go at a less crowded time like 11 am, and just nurse if he got fussy.

I did this the other day at a live performance of Handel's Messiah (it was at a church and the audience sings along for the chorus parts, so not a formal affair or anything), and he did pretty well. If I had nursed him without a cover he would have been perfect, but he fussed a bit because he hates the cover, won't make that mistake again.

What do you do for things like movies and shows if you go with a little one?

Jessica , wife to L (8-5-05), Mama to H (9-18-09)
Regretting our decision to circ after complications that could have killed our baby boy!
#2 of 14 Old 12-08-2009, 10:21 AM

Never to the movies... not because the baby wouldn't be good, but because of the noise. The sound in the theater may be too loud for the baby's ears. I think some theaters have little "sound-rooms" where it's quieter, but none in my area.

Other than that, if it's a show or something with not too much amplification, a baby of that age is fine to go. Mine went to a Keller Williams show when she was 3 weeks old-- late spring, outdoor show, back on the lawn away from the speakers, she did great and slept through most of it.

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#3 of 14 Old 12-08-2009, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OperaDiva View Post
Just wondering if anyone else does this and what issues have occurred? I am really wanting to see New Moon (I know, I know, it's silly lol), and I'm thinking it should be ok to go and just take my almost 3 month old DS, right? I would go at a less crowded time like 11 am, and just nurse if he got fussy.

What do you do for things like movies and shows if you go with a little one?
With my older son, I used to take him to movies as a baby all the time, and just walk out if he got fussy. We've gone to the drive-in a few times with this one, although it's not drive-in season anymore.

We won't go to indoor rock because it's too loud, but a quiet performance should be OK, as long as you are prepared to remove him if he fusses.
#4 of 14 Old 12-08-2009, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just stopped taking DS to movies when he was 6 months. He started babbling then and wasn't quiet enough to go.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#5 of 14 Old 12-08-2009, 11:30 AM

I went and saw New Moon with my 5 week old. If you sit in the back of the theater, under the lowered section it is significantly quieter. Nursing was fine--it was the farting that made me embarrassed!

Mama to P. born at home 10/09, and W. born in the hospital 2/13

#6 of 14 Old 12-08-2009, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
There must be an American version of this: http://www.empiretheatres.com/reelbabies ??

New Moon was the movie they just showed here. DD is almost a year, and I haven't taken her to a movie since she was about 4 months. We just went the once, and didn't even think about the volume issue until we got there. The movie? X-Men: Wolverine. Yeah. Not a quiet movie! She was completely unphased, but I was a little worried the whole time and kept my hands over her ears for a lot of it. I would just go, if I were you, and enjoy it while you can. My DD is definitely too old for such things at 11 months!

For greater things are yet to come...

#7 of 14 Old 12-08-2009, 07:01 PM

we have something called a Stars and Strollers

they are matinees played at a lower volume for parents with babies.

tea6.gifStudent mama to Lyra June loveeyes.gif (ribboncesarean.gif 10.24.09)  and Olive Isis love.gif  (vbac.gif12.12.11) 

#8 of 14 Old 12-08-2009, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
When ds was that age I went to movies all the time with him. I just went with the intention that if he got fussy I'd have to leave. Never had to leave though - he'd just bf'd & sleep. It was fabulous.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#9 of 14 Old 12-09-2009, 01:42 PM

I've taken DD to the movies twice so far. She went when she was about 4 weeks old and again closer to 2 months. I'm not sure that we could do it now that she is more vocal.

Lindsay - Mum to Logan (May 3, 2007), Graysen (June 26, 2009) and welcoming somebody new in September 2011!
#10 of 14 Old 12-09-2009, 03:24 PM

I took DD to Harry Potter this summer, I just wore her in the Moby wrap and wore a nursing tank (it was August and 100+ degrees so doable) so I could feed her discreetly.
But I probably wouldn't take her to a theater during the flu/cold season in the winters.

Working, freshly graduated! mama.  Loving life with DHguitar.gif , DD 7/09energy.gif, and DS 06/11 babyboy.gif.

#11 of 14 Old 12-09-2009, 07:03 PM

I've taken DD2 to 2 or 3 movies and she's been fine. I try to pick a time that coincides with nap time. But, she'll sleep through everything including the circus!

Erin, mom to Amelia Rose:, 6/15/06 and Lily Grace, 6/7/09; wife to Phil since 10/9/04
#12 of 14 Old 12-09-2009, 09:14 PM

I tried to take DS to a movie one time but the theater had a strict "no baby" policy. I haven't gone searching for another theater since then. They felt bad and gave me four free movie tickets to use another time though.
#13 of 14 Old 12-09-2009, 10:26 PM

We've never taken dd to the movies but we have taken her to see her dad play a gig and an outdoor music festival with noise reducing headphones of course! She just turned 6months old and loves to go out! She was most fascinated by the Buddhist monks who actually did a couple of prayers on stage and the outdoor reggae fest. Her eyes were glued to the stage.
#14 of 14 Old 12-10-2009, 05:41 AM

I'm taking my newborn with me to see New Moon later today I took my other two to many a movie as babies as well. DD would just nurse and sleep until she was around 18 months old, but ds was only 6 months when he got too noisy to make it through. We'll see how this newest babe does!

, , , and

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page