What Constitutes EBF Baby Diarrhea? Does teething cause this on an ongoing basis? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-08-2009, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DD 4.5 months has had what seems to me to be diarrhea for going into a second week now. She is happy, energetic, playing bouncing etc. so energetically seems normal. At first I thought it was just teething but now wondering about other things- virus? food allergy?
She's big into teething now so I thought it was that but cant imagine that all that excess saliva causes D ongoing for months!
Yucky description: It used to seem drier before now sometimes it seems mucusy or is wet enough to flow from one side of her diaper to the other. Perhps what seems mucusy is just saliva? There were stringy things in there
last night. Also I can always hear it now and she seems a bit more gassy then before and I hear her tummy gurrgling loudly sometimes now.
Ped nurs last week said just to keep an eye on it but nothing more than that.
I've already eliminated dairy for a few months now and am now wondering about my peanut butter and wheat.
What do you more experienced mamas out there think? What has this kind of thing turned out to be for you? Thanks for help with a yucky subject!
#2 of 4 Old 12-08-2009, 09:03 PM

My DD had nasty, mucousy poops on and off for months. She developed pretty nasty diaper rash from it, too. The poop sliding from one side of the diaper to the other sounds like exactly what my DD had. [When she did actually have diar. from a virus, it was much less slimy and mostly just like... particles of poop mixed with poopy water. Yuck yuck yuck.]

My conclusions: mostly, I think it had to do with teething. I also suspect her early vaccinations, as the very worst episode (complete with spots of bright red blood either from immediately within or outside of her very, very sore rectum) occurred immediately after her four month shots. She had a lot of symptoms of dairy intolerance, but I never eliminated it () and the mucousy poop/diaper rash eventually went away. Sometimes it seems like dairy is 50% of her diet, and she shows no intolerance now.

Even looking back, I'm not sure what was going on. The onset occurred around her vaccines, but so did teething. Her improvement began when I stopped the vaccines, but I also started probiotics at that time. W/ the next baby, one reason I plan to hold off on vaccines is just so that I have one less variable to consider when troubleshooting these problems that they have...

Good luck!

Aspiring to 1 Thessalonians 4:11.Wife to Dh, 2004. Mother to DD 3/07.
So thankful for our healthy baby boy, born Easter morning, 2010!
#3 of 4 Old 12-08-2009, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you! It is so confusing isnt it! Her first funky poop was after her 1 rotovirus vaccine but its seemed normal again since then and that was 2 months ago -though its been more explosive since then I think nd more consistent D these past 2 weeks.
I started her on a probiotic yesterday so am hoping this will help!
Luckily no diaper rash here!
#4 of 4 Old 12-08-2009, 10:01 PM

We didn't vaccinate, but had our share of similar, sometimes explosive diapers around the same age. It came hand in hand in hand with teething, and in case I wasn't sure it was mucus and saliva related: she got the same sort of diapers when she had a cold.

Pagan Quaker maman of two.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page