Best Toys for a 6 month old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 12-11-2009, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need help finding a really cool/nice/quality gift for a 6 month old. Hopefully something that he can play with for months to come. Preferably more on the natural side... Any ideas? What are your kids favorite toys?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 12-11-2009, 07:13 PM

I can give you a list of my 7mo fave toys...
He has this dove that he LOVES
http://www.amazon.com/Sassy-Earth-Br.../dp/B001H9NXFW

This hand teether
http://www.amazon.com/Green-Sprouts-.../dp/B002VY0NLO

And some soft cloth blocks that have crinkly bits and bells in them are also very entertaining

Hope this helps some

Dirt worshiping, creatress Mama to Rowan and Alden - home birth loving, no circ, no vax, extended breast feeding, cloth diapering, baby wearing, cosleeping

#3 of 14 Old 12-12-2009, 01:51 PM

I'm sure I will not be the first to suggest a Sophie the Giraffe!

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#4 of 14 Old 12-12-2009, 08:43 PM

DD is 5 months... and she LOVES to be bounced and play airplane. So we got her a door jumper, and she loves it! She might be on the young side for it, but she's already sitting very briefly unassisted and has awesome neck/head control. Her face just lights up when she's in the door bounce and it saves me back/arms.

A tired mommy to DD (7/09) and loving wife to DH (08/06)
#5 of 14 Old 12-13-2009, 12:57 PM

My DD loves cloth books, here wood rattle, and her brother's little people animals.

Mama to Gabe 8-03 and Cyan 5-09
#6 of 14 Old 12-14-2009, 01:13 AM

we're getting wooden blocks and an assortment of different sized balls (like from baseball sized to soccer ball sized) because he likes to roll them around.
we're also working on building his story book library, and dh is getting him books in spanish (dh's language and our at-home language).

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

#7 of 14 Old 12-14-2009, 01:41 AM

Toys that both my kids loved at 6 months:
  • balls! All sorts of balls. Balls of all shapes and sizes. Small balls, or big balls that they can grasp. The best toy in the universe: about 15-20 brightly colored whiffle balls (if you search for them online, they're technically "safety balls") in a cardboard box. Add baby. Instant ball pit. They love it.
  • Weird but true: an abacus. When you smack the beads they spin around and make a noise. You can push the beads around. It's a great sensory toy. Ikea has one for under $10. My 2yo likes counting on it now.
  • Stacking cups or one of those toys where you stack rings
  • One of those things with like 5 different buttons and 5 different doors and when you press a button the door pops up with a little animal. I have no idea what it's called, but both my kids love it.
  • One of those toys where you hammer down the balls
  • Both of my kids loved baby dolls at that age, or earlier. My daughter got one at 4 months, and was instantly smitten. My son was instantly smitten by about 4 months with hers, and is getting his own for Christmas. They don't play with them at that age, obviously. I think they think it's a real baby and babies love other babies, so they just stare at the doll and try to grab its face and laugh their heads off.

If you're looking for books, I can't recommend the Usborne First Words board books enough. I swear we have all of them (and there are a lot!). They have little clay illustrations of objects, which are usually either familiar household objects or animals, and really thick pages with tabbed edges that are really easy to turn. When my daughter was a baby she would look at them for ages (they were also the only books whose pages she could turn herself for a long time). When she started talking, she would toddle over with one of these books and make me point at things and then she'd say the name: she thought that was the best game ever. She still likes to read them. And now my son is super into them, and they're the only books whose pages he can easily turn.

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
#8 of 14 Old 12-16-2009, 06:26 PM

Mama to Fenergy.gif(06/11/09) and baby boy C baby.gif (06/09/11) 

#9 of 14 Old 12-16-2009, 11:45 PM

DD's favourite thing right now is a BlaBla doll my cousin gave her. It is a really soft knit doll and DD squeals with delight when she sees her and then tries to shove the whole thing (about 10") in her mouth. She (the doll) has nubby things on her head and DD loves to chew on those as well as her arms. http://www.blablakids.com/
#10 of 14 Old 12-18-2009, 07:53 PM

My baby is only turning 5mo and she has a mirror toy and sophie the giraffe. She doesn't really hold things like Sophie very well. We have little dolls around here but I doubt she'll like any of those. Do your kids roll balls at 6mo of age?

Stephanie + Dh= Super blessed parents to 1 ds, and 4 dds!
#11 of 14 Old 12-19-2009, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critty View Post
DD's favourite thing right now is a BlaBla doll my cousin gave her. It is a really soft knit doll and DD squeals with delight when she sees her and then tries to shove the whole thing (about 10") in her mouth. She (the doll) has nubby things on her head and DD loves to chew on those as well as her arms. http://www.blablakids.com/
WOW... I just checked out their site and I am SO getting the finger puppets for my LO.
thanks for posting this!!!

Michele married to Dh since Dec 2000 and happily sharing a home with 3 kitties, 1 doggy, DS R born 8/25/09 into the arms of his mama, and DS E born 2/25/2012

#12 of 14 Old 12-19-2009, 01:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
well... Other than remote controls and paper

balls, rattles (DS has one with a football shaped hollow globe with beads in it that spins he loves it)

we have one of those big things with the seats in the middle and the toys all around, we call it a standie. He LOVES to stand up, he will fuss his face off and downright refuse to sit most of the time.

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#13 of 14 Old 12-19-2009, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMamiBella View Post
My baby is only turning 5mo and she has a mirror toy and sophie the giraffe. She doesn't really hold things like Sophie very well. We have little dolls around here but I doubt she'll like any of those. Do your kids roll balls at 6mo of age?
At 6 months, both of mine absolutely loved their Froebel balls (hard to find, but well worth it), and their plastic whiffle balls. At that age, there's only so much they can hold, but the Froebel balls were just the perfect size and texture to practice grasping, and the whiffle balls have holes in them that they could grab.

http://www.froebelusa.com/store/gift...lls-p-516.html
http://www.palossports.com/store/pro.../2797/file.htm (these are great. I bought 2 sets of each size and made a ball pit in a cardboard box. Hours of fun.)

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
#14 of 14 Old 12-19-2009, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lach View Post
At 6 months, both of mine absolutely loved their Froebel balls (hard to find, but well worth it), and their plastic whiffle balls. At that age, there's only so much they can hold, but the Froebel balls were just the perfect size and texture to practice grasping, and the whiffle balls have holes in them that they could grab.

http://www.froebelusa.com/store/gift...lls-p-516.html
http://www.palossports.com/store/pro.../2797/file.htm (these are great. I bought 2 sets of each size and made a ball pit in a cardboard box. Hours of fun.)

Thanks Lach! I'll check them out.

Stephanie + Dh= Super blessed parents to 1 ds, and 4 dds!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page