Nearly rolled onto baby last night---scared to co-sleep now - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-19-2009, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been co-sleeping with my now 5 month old since she was born. She has been becoming more mobile lately. Usually I sleep facing her with her right next to me and me kind of cuddling her. DH sleeps on the couch when he isn't working so it's just us on the bed. A couple nights ago I must have rolled over the other way in my sleep, and I woke up to her crying as I nearly rolled over onto my back right on top of her as she had scooted herself right next to me. This had NEVER happened before, I usually sleep very light and stay in the same position all night. But that was pretty scary.

Last night, it happened again... I wake up right as I'm about to roll over onto her. I definitely think I am done co-sleeping, I am scared now that for some reason I am not sleeping as lightly as I used to, or somehow I'm just moving around more.

I truly love co-sleeping but I'm terrified and don't want to risk that if I can't trust myself not to roll over.

Any... thoughts?

Happy mama to Asia born 07/15
#2 of 7 Old 12-19-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacrymosa View Post
I wake up right as I'm about to roll over onto her. I definitely think I am done co-sleeping, I am scared now that for some reason I am not sleeping as lightly as I used to, or somehow I'm just moving around more.
My first thought is -- you woke up. If you truly were sleeping heavily, you wouldn't have woken up, and you might have actually rolled over her. Instead, your body & mind were well aware and immediately you woke up when you sensed something was wrong. I'm sure you also wake up just seconds before your baby cries? It's the same thing.

Of course I don't want to assume the arrangement is 100% safe just because of that... If you still are worried, take a look at why... are you more tired? Stressed? Did you take any meds or anything the night before? Go to bed later (or even earlier) than usual?

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#3 of 7 Old 12-19-2009, 07:07 PM

nak:you woke up. your instincts kicked in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mommy View Post
Of course I don't want to assume the arrangement is 100% safe just because of that... If you still are worried, take a look at why... are you more tired? Stressed? Did you take any meds or anything the night before? Go to bed later (or even earlier) than usual?

Angela lactivist.gif, married for 14 1/2 years to DHtwins.gif, mother to DD 8-5-97homeschool.gif, DS 8-5-09 uc.jpgbabyf.gif, and SURPRISE!!! pos.gif due 2-17-12

#4 of 7 Old 12-19-2009, 09:09 PM

I agree with PP. Check to see why things may have changed, but other than that, you woke up, that is what you should do!

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#5 of 7 Old 12-20-2009, 12:52 AM

i agree with the pps -- you DID wake up and you did NOT roll over on your baby. that's a wonderful thing!

but since you are genuinely concerned that you MIGHT, it may be a good idea to sidecar a crib to the bed. that way baby can still share sleep, but the sides of the crib will keep you from easily rolling into it.

Rachel. Devoted wife and joyful mama to Beatrice June(2/25/08) and Leona Agnes (8/10/10).
#6 of 7 Old 12-20-2009, 09:37 AM

I agree, you woke up, no harm done. I do that from time to time.
But even if you did roll onto the baby for a minute, would you actually do any harm? Baby might get smooshed into the bed for a minute but its not like you wouldn't wake up as soon as you rolled onto her. I always thought the big risk was when the baby was newborn and wouldn't be able to move their head away easily.

Mummy to T 06/04, L 08/06, R 08/09
:
#7 of 7 Old 12-21-2009, 04:37 AM

ITA with the above!! You woke up, that's what matters!!

hippie.gif Hi, I'm Amber

Ava {12.20.08}  Levi {8.19.10}  Aspen  {EDD 7.21.13}

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page