what age can baby support own neck safely? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 12-23-2009, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hello everyone,

i'm new to the mothering forums so i hope that this board is an ok one to post this question in.

i tried searching around on the internet for an answer but i might not be searching for the right terms.

my question is: at what age can babies support their own neck safely? i realize that the age will be different for every baby but a general age would be helpful. for example, with newborns it seems pretty obvious that its a good idea to support their necks/heads. but later they start to gain some control of their neck but are still a little unstable. at what point is it ok for their head to be moving around a little bit while you hold them (isn't the little movement helping to build their muscles?)

i'm quite a beginner at all of this. i am not a mother to any humyn babies- although i am a mother to 2 felines- but lately everyone in my extended family is having babies so i've suddenly been holding lots of them. i like to lean towards the side of caution but some guidance would be nice.

thanks in advance!

doula. folk herbalist. activist. forest lover. autoimmune. animist. spoonie. library worker. and more...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 12-23-2009, 07:40 PM

This link is a good general guide. http://www.babycenter.com/0_mileston...ths_1496585.bc It is a general milestone chart. Of course there is no exact age. Some babies are born already having a bit of neck control, some babies take months. When in doubt, always have your hand ready to support them! Hope this helps.
#3 of 13 Old 12-24-2009, 01:02 AM

I think the average is 3-4 months.

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#4 of 13 Old 12-24-2009, 04:27 AM

I think for my kids it came slowly, between 2 and 4 months, although DD1 could lift her head up some when she was lying on her belly, and look around a bit, literally from birth. My other two took longer to be able to do that, and DS was still struggling with it at 2 months.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#5 of 13 Old 12-24-2009, 09:51 AM

I have 3 kids but right now my youngest is 3 mos and she is doing pretty good with supporting her head and neck on her own although she's still wobbly and floppy of course. I think 4 months is going to be about the right time for her.

Proud *single* mom to 3 amazing kiddos
#6 of 13 Old 12-24-2009, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i wouldn't think there would be a need to "help them build their neck muscles" by letting their heads flop around as you hold them

i would let an infant work on their head support by giving them tummy-time, letting them rollover etc to work on their muscles at their own pace

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#7 of 13 Old 12-24-2009, 08:49 PM

they are all different but as the PPs said usually by 4 months they have fairly good control. My DS had the floppiest neck ever but by 4 months he was fairly good. My new baby has had a very strong neck ever since she was born, even my MW commented on it, and at 3 months her neck is about as strong as my DS's was at 4 months.

Mama to 2 sweet gorgeous children, a 4-year-old DS and a 1-year-old DD.
#8 of 13 Old 12-24-2009, 11:36 PM

My DS2 is 4.5 months and has good solid control 90% of the time. I don't remmeber for sure, but I'd say DS1 did too by the same 4ish months, though they both had surprisingly strong necks from birth as I recall
#9 of 13 Old 12-25-2009, 12:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It also depends on the time-- my 3 month old ds can hold his head up when he's up and focusing. When he gets sleepy his little head just droops all over the place!

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#10 of 13 Old 12-25-2009, 12:39 AM

This was (one of) my biggest concerns when DS was a newborn... And I can't fully explain why, although I think it has something to do with all of the lifeguard training when I was in college...I somehow had it in my head that his neck/ head should be supported in a sort of spinal injury head vice hold LOL! (and they totally don't need to be supported in quite this manner)

It amazed me when I realized that DS was a head control champ. He was fully supporting his head a little before 3mo (except when he was super sleepy) congrats Mama!

Dirt worshiping, creatress Mama to Rowan and Alden - home birth loving, no circ, no vax, extended breast feeding, cloth diapering, baby wearing, cosleeping

#11 of 13 Old 12-25-2009, 01:50 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for all the replies so far!

millifiori,
that link is helpful. i was looking for something like that. whenever i was trying to google what i was looking for, all that was coming up was places to purchase those little baby neck support pillows

chel,
Quote:
i wouldn't think there would be a need to "help them build their neck muscles" by letting their heads flop around as you hold them
no, i don't think so either. i hope i didn't make it sound like i thought letting them flop might be good for them. i was more worried that by constantly holding their necks when they don't need that extra support i might be in some way keeping them from experiencing the little movements that they need to become stronger.

GreenGranolaMama,
thank you for mentioning that. that's something that i had in mind with my original post. one of the little ones i was holding was 3.5 months old and i was sort of worried that i might be "overprotecting" their neck and not letting them move enough for the level of their abilities. i didn't want to be "holding them back". i tend to over-think things but will likely learn to trust myself as i get more hands-on experience.

and everyone else so far,
the ages that you've mentioned are what i was thinking as well. i have quite a bit of "book knowledge" about babies and parenting so far (i love reading about birth and attachment parenting and the benefits of breastfeeding, etc.) but i hardly ever get to interact with babies in real life! thanks for the input, all.

doula. folk herbalist. activist. forest lover. autoimmune. animist. spoonie. library worker. and more...

#12 of 13 Old 12-25-2009, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadelbosque View Post
My DS2 is 4.5 months and has good solid control 90% of the time. I don't remmeber for sure, but I'd say DS1 did too by the same 4ish months, though they both had surprisingly strong necks from birth as I recall
my DD had a strong neck from birth too. everyone who held her commented on how strong her head control was. she started lifting up from laying position while changing her diaper at 2 months old. she would get frustrated so I'd pull her up in to a sitting position and hold her to make her happy.

19 yr old
12 yr old
5 yr old
#13 of 13 Old 12-25-2009, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
It seems to me that my DD was closer to 4 mo before she could really support her head very well on her own... like if you put her in a sitting position or if she was in the Moby wrap. But DS is only 2 months old and is super-good with his head, he held his head up looking all over in the Moby wrap while we were last-minute-shopping yesterday morning. I do still hold one hand behind his head, not touching it, but close enough that if his head flops I can catch it.

Erin, mom to DD (1/06) and DS (10/09)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page