6 month old still not sitting up?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 02-21-2004, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know wether this is something to be concerned about or not. My youngest is 6+ months old now and while he rolls all over the house he isn't trying to sit or crawl yet. Both of my older sons were already crawling before this, so I am scared that he isn't following the noraml course of development....but I don't really know what normal is either :LOL
#2 of 16 Old 02-21-2004, 04:27 PM

FWIW, my ds will be 8 months old tomorrow and he is neither sitting fully or crawling yet either. He was born 2 months premature, so gestationally he's 6 months old, probably around the same age as yours. His doctor is not worried about it at all. There is such a HUGE range of normal and I would venture to guess that one day he will just "get it".
#3 of 16 Old 02-21-2004, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Can he sit supported? If you hold him low on the waist can he hold his upper body up? If you put him in a high chair could he sit up for a hwile without tippin over? Have you tried sitting him up in a boppy? how does he do? He sounds just fine. Mine sat between 4 and 7 months and crawled at 4 1/2 - 9 months. Hows that for a range :LOL. He should be starting to build his upper body strength and be doing those thing above that are indicators that he is getting close. If he is not you may want to really watch him. Also if he is rolling around and having a great time he may just rather be doing that than sitting. I mean going is more fun that sitting

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#4 of 16 Old 02-22-2004, 10:30 AM

i would just make sure you give him as much oppurtunity to do so as possible, and he will get there. When you can sit near him, try propping him up with a boppy or pillow and allow him to roll and roll as much as you can so he can develope those torso muscles!!! He sounds wonderful! I wouldnt be quite so concerned yet. What you want to look for is if he is reaching milestones. As long as he makes progress and is getting there, i wouldnt be worried. All kids do it at a different pace, and as long as he is making progress (like rolling and probably sitting with support) he will get there eventually.
#5 of 16 Old 02-22-2004, 11:03 AM

There truely is such a huge range in what is "normal."

My first crawled at 5 1/2 mos and walked by 9 mos.

My second was so different. He didn't even roll over until he was 6 1/2 months, sat up around 9 months, crawled at 10 1/2 mos and was almost 1 1/2 before he could walk.

But both are developmentally on target now at ages 3 1/2 and 6.

I think a lot has to do with temperment. My oldest child was/is driven and so he learned to move sooner because he wanted to touch everything. My middle child is mellow by nature and was happy to just lay around and watch his older brother and just wasn't interested in moving around a whole lot.
#6 of 16 Old 02-22-2004, 11:52 AM

My daughter didn't sit up until 7 months, and even then couldn't get there by herself. Now at 10 months she's starting to crawl. "Normal" means a LOT of things!
#7 of 16 Old 02-22-2004, 12:18 PM

My 5 month old doesn't even roll, let alone try to sit or crawl. I don't think you need to worry until they're like 8 or 9 months old.
#8 of 16 Old 02-22-2004, 02:05 PM

My first (3 1/2 years now) didn't grab for things until 6 months, didn't roll over back to front until he was like 7 or 8 months, didn't sit up unassisted until 9 months didn't crawl until like 10 or so months and walked one week after his first birthday... all babies are different!

My new baby (5 1/2 months now) is sooo different! she was grabbing at things at 4 months and is only happy in the upright sitting position, although she can't sit unassisted, but i'm sure she will soon!

my friend's daughter stood up completely in the middle of the room without holding on to anything at 5 months old, she walked all over the house at 7 months... ( couldn't believe it until i saw it myself!!!)
#9 of 16 Old 02-22-2004, 02:09 PM

I remember when I took my dd in for 6 month photos and we tried and tried to encourage to sit on her bum for them but she was soooooo disgruntled with us. So we put her on her belly and she pulled up into a half pushup and smiled and smiled...the pictures are so cute.
About 2 weeks later she sat right up....walked at 13 months.
My mom said I didn't sit up until 7 months and I never actually crawled I pushed myself backwards on my back:
#10 of 16 Old 02-23-2004, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the encouragement. He is very strong in the torso, but he wants to sit by doing a sit up and that just isn't gonna happen! He doesn't have the balance yet either. Ya know, dang those portrait people! I think I started worrying after I took him in for a 6 month pic and she tried to make him sit up for about 10 minutes and he just wouldn't....we ended up leaving with him in tears because she was so determined to get him to sit up! .................In other news he learned how to use a straw today, and was blowing bubbles in my drink when he got bored drinking it!
#11 of 16 Old 02-23-2004, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oh my gosh! what is it with portrait people. If you told them he couldn't sit up they should have just accepted it. I took dd in at 6 weeks and they kept trying to make her smile. I told them she didn't smile and they couldn't belive a baby her age wouldn't smile so she kept trying. I could have cared less and they were wasting my time. Holy cow she was cute when she was pooping! There was nothing they could have done to make it a bad picture (Actually the ones of her in her christmas dress were pretty awful) so just take it the way she is already. A nyway, I have had a beef with picture taking people (photographers do not work at penny's) ever since then (dd is 7). :LOL I should get over it huh?

Screw them, if he is trying to het into a sitting sit up style it might be a while. Just sit back and enjoy the fact that your baby will have the best abs on the block.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#12 of 16 Old 02-23-2004, 11:00 PM

*waves hands in air* Oh thank goodness...I was beginning to wonder if anyone else's kids weren't sitting up and/or crawling now.

Chris will be 6 months this wednesday (date wise, but is really 6 months today) and rolled over for the FIRST TIME today. He can sit for about 5 seconds unassisted...and about 10 seconds if leaning against his boppy.
So I know what you mean.
#13 of 16 Old 02-24-2004, 08:34 PM

Hi! Your ds sounds a lot like my baby. She will be one in a couple weeks and she is still not really crawling. She was nearly 9 months before she sat unassisted and she also tried to get there by doing a situp! She still does not go from laying on the floor to sitting up. She has to be put in a sitting position and often promptly leans over, puts her head down, then lays down. It's very funny. People have said she looks like she's using her head as a fifth limb! :LOL Her favorite method of locomotion is rolling. She adjusts her trajectory by doing a commando style crawl, briefly and goes around obstacles by lifting her legs up and pushing off with her feet. Also, very cute! She has just recently started to get up on one hand or the other and/or one knee or the other when crawling, as well as pulling up a little bit on stuff. So she's getting there, just at her own pace. She is also very laid back. Her older sister is spirited and was walking at 9 months.

P.S. We also have awful 6 month photos! :

SMC to Sophia, age 15, and Eleanor, age 9, and mother hen to too many nursing students to count!

#14 of 16 Old 02-26-2004, 04:07 PM

Wow! It's been a looong time. (I was on the Pregnancy post before but now my baby is almost 6 months old!).

OK, my ds doesn't sit by himself yet either (on March 2 he'll be 6 months). One mama told me it's probably because he's got a small butt that makes him tip over easier than her dd, who's got a big chunky butt :LOL

I think we shouldn't worry at all. Each baby is different, a unique little person.. I didn't start to walk until I was 15 months old!

I'm in NO hurry for him to crawl/walk. I would like to move first (currently living with my in-laws).

Best,
#15 of 16 Old 02-26-2004, 06:25 PM

I asked our doctor today (6 month checkup) and she said he's just a laid back baby. Just like his mamma.
Of course, it could be genetic...see, I never crawled. I was a roller...I never "kinda" did stuff...I'd be a bit later than everyone else, but suddenly I'd just starting DOING it. This applied to walking, speaking, bike riding, swimming...EVERYTHING!

My parents say I was an odd child.
They're right.
#16 of 16 Old 02-26-2004, 09:18 PM

My DD just turned 6 mo. on Valentine's Day and does not sit up by herself or crawl.

She can sit unassisted if I put her in that position but can't get there on her own. She does the situp thing too. We tease her, telling her that she's getting rock-hard abs. :LOL

I think she'll be crawling soon, but frankly, I'm in no hurry.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page