s/o solids- Apples are binding? Seriously? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-03-2010, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I always thought apples were fibrous and good for the constipation issue, no? I saw a comment about the BRAT diet and apples are considered good for post diarrhea issues. My daughter has had some serious constipation issues lately and now I am all freaked out that it is all the apples that she has been having (we already avoid bananas and most grains like the PLAGUE) that has been causing it.

Yes? No? Thoughts on constipation?

-M-, mama to G 4/09joy.gif

#2 of 8 Old 01-03-2010, 04:22 PM

It could be. Oatmeal is a safe grain to give. If you are trying to avoid constipating foods, avoid apples, bananas, rice, and carrots. The cleansing foods to give are stone fruits (or start with a 'p'): peaches, pears, prunes, and apricots.

I just discovered that the mixed baby food I got is a puree of turkey, carrots, and apples. Needless to say, we've been dealing with many little turd-lets. Once I upped the peaches and pears (instead of applesauce), things have regulated a bit more.

My question is, how long do you need to micromanage the pooping and foods? At what point will I not be obsessing on how much peach sauce will counteract the carrots?
#3 of 8 Old 01-03-2010, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Man I am so bummed. EVERYTHING we give her has apples in it and I thought they were awesome. (My mom always told me to eat an apple when I needed help... but as I type that i realize why- the SKIN- AGH! Idiot! )

Oatmeal is definite no go in this house- poor girl, we've never even gone near rice.

Between working, taking care of J and Genevieve, plus moving into a new house I don't have a lot of time to make baby food (plus no blender/processor right now) so I always go the expensive route and buy Earths Best brand and all (by which I mean most) of the mixed stuff has apples in it. Ugh. Plus I have a good $30 worth of baby food in cabinet right now because of sales etc most of which has apples in the mix. Double Ugh.

I also want to know the answer to your question. Poor Dh is the one who generally has to deal with the crying pooping (and they aren't THAT hard they are smooshy just not as pasty as she would like, she is pretty sensitive) and is usually near tears by the end too. We are working on eliminating the culprits right now but APPLES? gah! I feel like a bad mom now adding to the situation rather than helping eliminate it (pun intended).

#4 of 8 Old 01-03-2010, 05:52 PM

I think it has to do with the pectin in the apples, maybe? Anyway..... I was wondering if she could have quinoa? I just tried making some quinoa flakes today for my guy and he seemed to like it.

I wouldn't imagine that apples would cause severe constipation though. When I introduced bananas to my guy I alternated them with prunes. He has never been constipated and he eats applesauce quite a bit. I wouldn't throw out the baby food or anything. Just add more variety.

As far as making your own baby food, its not super complicated and I never really take any extra time to do it. I usually just make a couple extra servings of veggies at dinner and blend them up and throw them in an ice cube tray. Or I roast a squash after I serve up dinner and its ready by the time were done and cleaned up from dinner and then I just mush it into ice cube trays too No blender needed.

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)
#5 of 8 Old 01-03-2010, 07:07 PM

I think there's a difference b/w raw apples & applesauce - raw are OK but cooked applesauce is part of the BRAT diet. I know this doesn't help a lot since your jarred food is cooked, but I thought I'd let you know.

I am surprised to learn carrots are binding too - maybe that is why my LO is having poop issues now. I give him prunes every couple weeks to help, but I don't want him to depend on those to go. I, too, would like to know how long this lasts & when their digestive systems will learn to self-regulate.

I guess my best advice is don't forget to offer water - it seems to help DS.

Erin - mama to my happy little guy, born April 09  kewl.gif

and my sweet baby, born July 12  babygirl.gif

#6 of 8 Old 01-03-2010, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus.blossom View Post
I think it has to do with the pectin in the apples, maybe? Anyway..... I was wondering if she could have quinoa? I just tried making some quinoa flakes today for my guy and he seemed to like it.

I wouldn't imagine that apples would cause severe constipation though. When I introduced bananas to my guy I alternated them with prunes. He has never been constipated and he eats applesauce quite a bit. I wouldn't throw out the baby food or anything. Just add more variety.

As far as making your own baby food, its not super complicated and I never really take any extra time to do it. I usually just make a couple extra servings of veggies at dinner and blend them up and throw them in an ice cube tray. Or I roast a squash after I serve up dinner and its ready by the time were done and cleaned up from dinner and then I just mush it into ice cube trays too No blender needed.
I know making baby food is not, it's just beyond me right now with everything we have going on and the lack of a blender doesn'thelp especially since G doesn't like lumpy food very much- something we need to work on. She eats prunes all the time anymore (like at least every other day if not more). Variety is definately important, just difficult with her sometimes. Quinoa is brilliant. How do you make flakes??

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumooned View Post
I think there's a difference b/w raw apples & applesauce - raw are OK but cooked applesauce is part of the BRAT diet. I know this doesn't help a lot since your jarred food is cooked, but I thought I'd let you know.

I am surprised to learn carrots are binding too - maybe that is why my LO is having poop issues now. I give him prunes every couple weeks to help, but I don't want him to depend on those to go. I, too, would like to know how long this lasts & when their digestive systems will learn to self-regulate.

I guess my best advice is don't forget to offer water - it seems to help DS.
I am worried about her being dependent on prunes but I am not sure what else to do to help when she is stopped up save for flax oil etc.

We offer water but we have to work harder at getting her to take in more as she likes to sip but not drink much. It probably doesn't help her digestion that she is about 75% formula fed as i am breastfeeding after a reduction and doing my best to keep up with her needs.

Thank you all for your advice.

Molly

#7 of 8 Old 01-04-2010, 05:30 PM

The quinoa flakes come in a box The brand is Ancient Harvest but I don't know where they came from because my mum gave them to me. It freezes well too. I made up a big batch and stuck them in ice cube trays and this morning I popped a cube plus some frozen blueberries (a lot of fiber there) in the micro for 30 secs and it was delicious and well received!

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)
#8 of 8 Old 01-04-2010, 05:34 PM

Apple JUICE is also "cleansing" because of the sugar and sorbitol.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page