Nursing a 8.5 mos old... how much does he need? (back to work) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-04-2010, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I'm back to work today, well school (phd student) and dh is home f/t with ds3. We live on campus and my office is just a 5-10 min. bike ride away. So, I figured I would come home every lunch to nurse ds3. Dh figures that ds3 doesn't need to nurse and that he'll be fine if he takes him off for the whole day. Ack! Ds3 won't take a bottle and he's only eating a maximum of a half jar (the littlest ones) of food at a sitting.

Aside from me being completely engorged from such a long break in nursing, I worry about several things. First, I worry about him getting adequate nutrition. Second, I worry that not nursing will somehow damage our bond (that rational part of me reassures the emotional part of me that he'll be fine, but the emotional part of me thinks that the rational part of me just doesn't understand).

I told dh that he simply had to be home at lunch, but dh thinks I'm being a control freak. Ds2 is done preschool at 11:30am anyways, which makes it seem like a simple thing to schedule into the day. Except there's no preschool on Fridays and I suppose this is the day I most worry about because he's most likely to be off for the whole day. I am completely flexible with when I come home, too.... earlier or later than noon, doesn't matter.

Am I being ridiculous to expect dh to arrange his day around ds3's need to have a nurse somewhere in the middle of it? eta: there is an undercurrent here that I should add: dh has never been supportive of extended bf'ding, although I nursed ds1 and ds2 until they were both three - that was such a battle each time, but fully worth it. Also, ds3 is our very last (I'm ultra sentimental).

Thanks in advance for your thoughts, suggestions, links, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2010, 11:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would check out the milk calculator @ kellymom. Would he be interested in drinking bm from a cup since he won't take a bottle?

, , , mama to Ross , Reagan (8/29/05), Joshua (from Haiti...here NOW due to the earthquake!), and Elijah , born safely 9-8-09.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've found that many babies *will* drink milk out of a bottle/sippy cup when mom really isn't there and there is no other choice. If your baby isn't eating too much food then I'd leave behind 3 bottles of 3.5-4oz of milk and expect that only 2 will be eaten most days. Except, you need to be able to pump that much while you're away. How often are you pumping? I pump in every situation-- at conferences, and meetings, while teaching (I duck out and my co-teacher covers), in bathrooms, in empty offices, etc. In most states you have a legal right to pump. If you're gone morning and afternoon make sure you get AT LEAST 2 pumpings in or your supply will be affected.

I would push to get that lunchtime nursing in, but I can also see your dh's point. My partner is also a SAHD during the day (he works at night) and he does like to be able to set his own schedule, as do SAHMs, and get into his own groove. But if I had the chance to nurse at lunch I would bully him into it.

User Tag List