diaper rash on baby boy parts - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 01-05-2010, 03:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 7 mo old DS has red, diaper rash looking areas just above his penis, under his penis and on his scrotum. This is addition to a more typical diaper rash on his butt. How do I treat this?

This is his first real diaper rash. I think it was brought on by me introducing more acid foods- pureed peaches, apricots and apples. Maybe also because he's teething.

Desitin isn't working. Seeing the redness on his little boy parts really worries me. Could this cause real damage? What is the best way of treating this type of rash?
#2 of 13 Old 01-05-2010, 03:59 AM

It shouldn't cause damage unless he's scratching at it all the time or something. I use Weleda diaper creme on my guy along with an olive-oil based calendula salve that I make. Airing the area usually helps too.

Do you use cloth or disposables? I use cloth and I notice if I have rashiness using a breathable cover...like wool...works wonders too.
#3 of 13 Old 01-05-2010, 04:02 AM - Thread Starter

I'm using disposables. And I change him a lot....the rash just seems to be getting worse.
#4 of 13 Old 01-05-2010, 12:58 PM

Is it possible that it's a yeast infection?

Erin, mom to Amelia Rose:, 6/15/06 and Lily Grace, 6/7/09; wife to Phil since 10/9/04
#5 of 13 Old 01-05-2010, 02:09 PM

My ds had a rash that wouldn't go away for a whole month. I switched to using sudocream + diapers a size larger, worn a little looser than usual + not clipping the onsies in the crotch area so that there was as much breathing space as possible --> and the rash visibly improved with each day. Prior to this i tried everything from salt water and vinegar on the butt to backing soda, cloth diapers, etc.

Love of our life, born September 2009
#6 of 13 Old 01-05-2010, 02:24 PM

If it's acid based you may try mixing equal parts liquid Maalox and Aquafor. It works wonders on my DS!

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#7 of 13 Old 01-05-2010, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

what's sudocream?
#8 of 13 Old 01-05-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mergirl View Post
what's sudocream?
Oh sorry, i meant sudocrem. It's a diaper rash cream. I used a bunch of others that didn't help.

BTW the rash and it's distribution that you described above was exactly like my son's.

Oh, i also rinsed his crotch with water after wet diapers; washed with a bit of soap after a dirty diaper --> then let him air dry completely before putting anything on.

Love of our life, born September 2009
#9 of 13 Old 01-05-2010, 06:37 PM

I was just going to post about a similar rash I found on my son today! I am kinda freaked out by it, as he hasn't had a hint of rash till now (he is 3 months old).

I am wondering if it is A) teething related B) yeast C) something in my diet.

He is exclusively BF and we just started some CD. . .although still in sposies at night. When in CD I change them as soon as he pees/poos, I don't think they are causing the rash?

What is the usual cause of diaper rash?

I am trying some air time and a bath today and see if that helps.

photosmile2.gif Me= crunchy mama to one rambunctious toddler, born on October 1, 2009. And one sweet little baby born January 19, 2012. heartbeat.gif

#10 of 13 Old 01-05-2010, 07:31 PM

DS has/had some red on his boy parts too. I used the Weleda diaper cream and the red goes away. But, sometimes it comes back. So, I know how to make it go away but I don't know what's causing it!

Erin - mama to my happy little guy, born April 09  kewl.gif

and my sweet baby, born July 12  babygirl.gif

#11 of 13 Old 01-05-2010, 10:16 PM

When DS had diaper rash, he had lots of soreness on his boy bits too. I used organic coconut oil all over and it helped. I don't know what causes it but when it flares after I've cleaned him I put Bordeaux's butt paste on him with OCO on his privates and this seems to help him heal. Naked time is good too.

grouphug.gifPenny4them  
Blessed WAH wife and mama to my happy brood jumpers.gif Dd1(7/01) Dd2(10/02) Ds (6/09) CDing & ECing works! No Circ, Make it yourself or buy something Handmade! mdcblog5.gif 

#12 of 13 Old 01-06-2010, 04:07 AM - Thread Starter

what about Triple Paste? It's medicated and seems to be helping. I think it has steroids so I'm not too happy about those.
#13 of 13 Old 01-06-2010, 12:31 PM

sounds like it might be yeast. My DS had a bright red rash on his boy parts that I thought was just diaper rash but it turned out to be yeast. It would seem to get better and then come back. Took him to the Dr. and he gave us a prescription for Nystatin and anti-fungal cream and he was fine in a few days.

wash.gifMommy to my little Nugget bouncy.gifribboncesarean.gif 

144/2014 items decluttered   2/52 projects completed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page