Red hot cheeks? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-23-2004, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What's the deal with the hot cheeks? DD (six months old) will randomly get hot cheeks, usually bright red.

Sometimes one cheek, sometimes both. I've taken her temp., which is normal. :

Is it a teething thing?

TIA
Kate
#2 of 5 Old 02-23-2004, 05:12 PM

Same with my DS, who is seven months (today!). His cheeks almost look chapped at times, too -- almost wind-burned, as though he's been out skiing too long.

I think I read somewhere that it was related to teething, although that may have been a dream. The line between dreaming and reality gets awfully blurry when you're sleep-deprived.

~nick
#3 of 5 Old 02-23-2004, 05:59 PM

This happened to ds1 whenever he was teething, and would go away when his teeth came in. So I thought it was teething. Until he started eating table food. Then we abruptly realized it was dairy. We had given him Hyland's teething tablets, which are a milk based thing. He handled dairy through my breastmilk without ever breaking out, but he was an incredibly fussy baby and I've always wondered if I'd eliminated dairy if that would have been different. Just food for thought.
#4 of 5 Old 02-23-2004, 09:06 PM

It's funny, but I posted a similar question almost 2 years ago and keep meaning to come back and post what I learned . . . it sounds like teething is a possible culprit, but I wanted to second that red cheeks (esp w/chapped skin or cracking skin) are a very common sign of a food allergy.

My ds's red cheeks began around 5 mos and we were told for a *year* that they were due to teething. They never went away however, and sometimes cracked and bled, so after many many months of trial and error, we determined that he was allergic to multiple foods coming from my milk. (And then he was allergy tested at 1 yr and the test confirmed all I had figured out -- he was allergic to wheat, dairy, corn, nuts, and bananas, with banana being the only food he had ever consumed himself).

So I say all of this not to hijack your thread or alarm you unnecessarily, but in case anyone comes looking bc they have a very red-cheeked babe who might be having a reaction. (If anyone ever wants to PM me about red cheeks, eczema, allergies in exclusively BF babies, etc., please do!!!)

Hope those cheeks are just due to teething and that they'll clear up very soon!
#5 of 5 Old 02-23-2004, 09:19 PM

Oh do I understand this! First there is a difference between red cheeks and hot cheecks. Hot ones are a symptom of food alergy. My ds had them for years, way past teething, until we took him off of wheat and dairy. My ped said if I had let it go he could have had serious problems later on. When we took him off of the wheat and dairy, he started doing things like sleeping through the night and being more calm, so I know the ped was right. Who knew?
:LOL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page