What did you 'give up on'? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 66 Old 01-08-2010, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is intended to be a lighthearted discussion I don't mean things like hopes and dreams, just little things!

For example, before my son was born, I really wanted to make sure he had all organic clothes. I understood that the likelihood of receiving organic clothes from family/friends was slim, but I told myself that I would only ever buy him organic clothes! From independent boutiques! No Toys'R'Us for me! But that didn't work out :P

I also wanted to give him only simple, wooden toys. Nothing that needed batteries, or played music. And as I type this, my son is sitting in his exersaucer playing an out-of-tune version of "The Ants Go Marching..." for the 15th time!

What about you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 66 Old 01-08-2010, 03:07 PM

All wooden/cloth and NO PLASTIC or BATTERIES One of his favorite toys is both.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#3 of 66 Old 01-08-2010, 03:07 PM

i said i would never leave him in the bucket seat just because he was sleeping. i would pick him up and put him in the stroller/sling. The bucket seat would stay attached to the base in the car!

Yea right, if he's sleeping, i'm gonna wake him up before going into the store? LOL

Also, with this weather, it's much easier to buckle him into the bucket in the house, zip up the Bundleme, and go, than to try to get him into the winter jacket first!
#4 of 66 Old 01-08-2010, 03:12 PM

Oh goodness, we gave up on a lot
-Pasifiers --> I have frieds who swear by them by my DD refused them from day 1, so if she is upset I need to deal with it with nursing, holding, rocking, etc
-cereals --> she loves yogurt and baby food but will not eat rice ceral or oatmeal anymore, she just lets it fall out of her mouth its kind of funny
- when i was preggo I gave up on eating all organinc, trying to get 8+ h of sleep every night and avoiding caffeine 100%, I just could not realably make those commitments
- reading books every night. I tought I will read to her from day 1, but at 7mo she does not care and all she want to do at bedtime is nurse and go to sleep. Any other stimulus just annoys her.
#5 of 66 Old 01-08-2010, 03:14 PM

oh yea cereal.
we weren't gonna give it, but he is underweight so we tried it at dr's rec. turns out he LOVEs it. we stick with the baby oatmeal or the whole wheat one.
#6 of 66 Old 01-08-2010, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wool diaper covers. Never worked out.

He WOULD be sleeping in his own bed through the night. Hahahahahhaha!

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#7 of 66 Old 01-08-2010, 04:09 PM

We said we'd never have him in our bed- just in a cradle next to our bed and then in his crib. He was in our bed by the third night home from the hospital and has never left, nor do I want him to! I had no idea how much we would all love co-sleeping!
#8 of 66 Old 01-08-2010, 04:13 PM

Mine are older now, but my big thing for a long time was the plastic crap toys. I still don't buy them (with rare exceptions when a child has his/her heart absolutely set on something), but I can't stop people from buying them, or my kids from falling in love with them. I do frequently purge them from the house, though, once the kids lose interest.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#9 of 66 Old 01-08-2010, 04:17 PM

Plastic toys. It went from me sewing her toys to handing her anything and everything in the house.
#10 of 66 Old 01-08-2010, 04:20 PM

I'd have to agree on wool diaper covers, especially after table food was intorduced. I mean I was so worried about the dumb things getting dirty on the inside or on the outside. We should have ec'd and EBF until they were all 12 but then there wouldn't be 5 of them.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#11 of 66 Old 01-08-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melon View Post
zip up the Bundleme, and go, than to try to get him into the winter jacket first!
FYI, the Bundle Me isn't safe for use in car seats. It can compress in an accident loosening the straps and allowing the baby to be ejected from the seat. It also affects how the straps come out over the baby which further hinders proper tightening of the straps. Ask on the safety forum for better ways to keep your baby warm in the car and save the Bundle Me for stroller trips.
#12 of 66 Old 01-08-2010, 04:23 PM

soooo many of these. battery operated noisy toys - um yea, we don't have tons but we do have some and he LOVES them. Pacifiers, gah, I didn't want him to have them and now I WISH he would take them, I've tried SO many different kinds and he doesn't want them!

The other one I'll add is ONLY giving organic food to ds, um, ooops

Charlotte wife to B momma to Q 2/22/09
#13 of 66 Old 01-08-2010, 04:23 PM

no plastic toys, batteries, loud ones...etc.

No 'sposies _ever_ yeah luckily its emergency use only (like OMG we forgot to wash the load of diapers!!)

no t.v., again out the door, but its not in excess. I'm just done beating myself up with guilt for turning it on.

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#14 of 66 Old 01-08-2010, 04:30 PM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I thought I would babywear all day in the house. Turns out, this kid is heavy! And either I'm weak or I need a different kind of carrier. We babywear out and about shopping, and it's great, but at home, I hold him, or he plays on the floor or in his bouncy seat. He takes really long naps though, so that's when I can get stuff done.

Mommy to DS1 July '09 and DS2 Oct '12 and someone new in May '15

#15 of 66 Old 01-08-2010, 04:35 PM

Great thread!

Strictly organic went out the window for us, too... It's expensive and she grows out of it so fast. Most of her clothes are from h&m and old navy. I take what people give me!! Also, I was adamant about "no pink," but it's found it's way in.

Cloth wipes...we use both, but mostly disposable... it's just easier! And I gave up on prefolds pretty quick. We still do cloth (all in ones) but did a tour of 'sposie town for a week or two on the way there.

We've maintained so far on the no plastic or battery powered toys, though she does have a musical mobile from grandma that she loves.

The pacifier... I was very anti-pacifier, but I offered it about a month ago, worn our from marathon nursing and she liked it for maybe a day... she's not really into it (she likes to chew on it) but I still offer it all the time.

I didn't want to pump, and was convinced I wouldn't have to. I ended up getting a manual one so that there's a little something there just in case for her if I'm out without her-- it's allowed me to be comfortable leaving her with dp for an hour or two.

And delaying solids... I wanted to wait, but she's ready to go and so we've been letting her play with stuff for a couple weeks (celery, carrots, apple, sweet potato).
#16 of 66 Old 01-08-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
FYI, the Bundle Me isn't safe for use in car seats. It can compress in an accident loosening the straps and allowing the baby to be ejected from the seat. It also affects how the straps come out over the baby which further hinders proper tightening of the straps. Ask on the safety forum for better ways to keep your baby warm in the car and save the Bundle Me for stroller trips.
i will look into it, but it doesn't seem to make sense....the straps come right through the holes and it doesn't affect the tightness at all. the straps are at the same adjustment as they are without it.
#17 of 66 Old 01-08-2010, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJsMama View Post
I was adamant about "no pink," but it's found its way in.
Me too!!! Sigh. DH loves her in pink, it's the only thing he'll put on her if he's getting her dressed. Good thing we still don't have much!

We weren't going to get any New Stuff. Everything baby used was going to be hand-me-downs or purchased secondhand... no contributing to the great capitalist baby buying bonanza for us! Except that we forgot about aunts and uncles and cousins and Grandma. Buy the baby stuff from the thrift shop? We must be joking.

I was never going to get a stroller. Then July hit and wearing the poor kid in the sling was giving us both heatstroke. (I don't know why that never occurred to me before.)

I was going to do a ton of research about vaccinations before she was due for any, and make a decision about each one independently, with the help of our thoughtful and well-informed pediatrician. Yeah, not so much. The night before her first well-baby visit, I was doing frantic research online with one hand while nursing the baby, while DH tried to convince me that everybody we know has survived their vaccinations just fine.

I was NEVER going to use baby food from a jar.
Or disposable diapers.
These are still "emergency-only" activities, but we do seem to have an awful lot of emergencies. Especially when DH is changing diapers.

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!
#18 of 66 Old 01-08-2010, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comtessa View Post
I was never going to get a stroller.

I was going to do a ton of research about vaccinations before she was due for any, and make a decision about each one independently, with the help of our thoughtful and well-informed pediatrician. Yeah, not so much. The night before her first well-baby visit, I was doing frantic research online with one hand while nursing the baby, while DH tried to convince me that everybody we know has survived their vaccinations just fine.
This.

We love our BOB stroller, but we also wear her a lot, too.

And as for vaxes...at least I found a ped who does an adjusted schedule. It's one of those things I feel really guilty about not fully educating myself about.

I guess mostly I gave up on stuff for myself...I don't get out as much anymore, I don't work out like I thought I would, etc.

Mama to Fenergy.gif(06/11/09) and baby boy C baby.gif (06/09/11) 

#19 of 66 Old 01-08-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4myfinn View Post
We said we'd never have him in our bed- just in a cradle next to our bed and then in his crib. He was in our bed by the third night home from the hospital and has never left, nor do I want him to! I had no idea how much we would all love co-sleeping!

Married to David since 2/16/08. Baby wearing, breastfeeding, bed sharing, delayed vaxing, cloth diapering, SAHM to Bella, my punctual little girl, born on her due date, 9/3/09
#20 of 66 Old 01-08-2010, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I wasn't sure about the cosleeping thing, but now I feel like I wasted so much money on a crib and organic mattress! He's never slept in it... The cat does, though!
#21 of 66 Old 01-08-2010, 09:34 PM

Unfortunately, EBF went out the window at 2 weeks, but that wasn't my choice.

I've offered the paci, but he doesn't like it, he'd rather chew on the bottle nipple than suck a paci.

I gave up on the stroller a few weeks ago - I had been adamant about BWing. We do BW, but only if he's sleepy or sleeping. If he's wide awake he kicks like mad, and I don't need the bruises.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#22 of 66 Old 01-08-2010, 11:18 PM

I'm right there with all y'all!

Swore to never use a paci. . .then in desperation with a screaming newborn tried all the kinds there are. . .he still won't take one

Never thought I'd need a breast pump. . .then totally crazy engorged at one week PP with a hungry newborn who couldn't latch properly found myself (the mess that I was) renting a hospital grade pump.

Jeans on a baby. . .yes, they are impractical, but so cute!

Had to give up on having my own brain! I can't hold a train of thought anymore or have any "me" time without some part of me being distracted by mommyness (is he okay? what's he doing now?).

plastic toys, toys with batteries. . .I won't buy them, but everyone else does.

photosmile2.gif Me= crunchy mama to one rambunctious toddler, born on October 1, 2009. And one sweet little baby born January 19, 2012. heartbeat.gif

#23 of 66 Old 01-09-2010, 12:30 AM

Making my own diapers

Not using pacifiers (my son needed it and it solved his fussy cycles)

bedsharing with Beauty (she just sleeps better in a separate room)

naps for the 2 year old

the stay at home/homeschool mom (started a preschool coop with other moms because I needed some space from my 2 year old)

M.Ed. Mama to Chunka (1/07), Beauty (5/09) and Elizabear 3/12): Birth Doula (working toward certification) AAMI Midwifery Student, Advocating with Solace for Mothers & The Birth Survey

#24 of 66 Old 01-09-2010, 03:15 AM

Not letting the baby chew on my shoes, which I've walked all over the streets of New York in!

Mama lady to my lady baby born 3/09 on the kitchen floor.  Looking forward to seeing which room's floor the next one will be born on in October.  love.gif
#25 of 66 Old 01-09-2010, 06:27 AM

Well, lots actually! The first two and a half months were *really* hard and it seemed like nothing I had planned was working! But we're slowly getting there...

wanted to use ONLY cloth (bought prefolds and covers, only to discover I hated them. we now use AIOs and fitteds/covers, and disposables at night)

wanted to BW all the time--she hated it until about 12 wks old. now we use the Ergo, but not all the time like I imagined.

no tv--gave up on this, unfortunately. but it's only on after dinner and she goes to bed about an hour later.

I'm sure there's more, but my mom-brain can't think of any right now!

Proud Air Force wife and first time mom to a beautiful baby girl , born naturally at home July 09
#26 of 66 Old 01-09-2010, 06:59 AM

Sleeping with DH. There's just not enough room in our bed for all 3 of us, and DS won't go to sleep anywhere else. That was/is still the hardest. Not a hope and dream, just the best part of my day

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#27 of 66 Old 01-09-2010, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Us too, I never thought we'd cosleep but it turns out I love it!

The big thing I had to give up was the expectation of a perfectly scrubbed house. I'm a SAHM, and before DS was born I had this idea that he would take hours-long naps. I would put him in the crib and go clean the house, then still have time to read or knit. What in the world was I thinking? I'm lucky if he naps an hour, and that's on me in a wrap or mei tai! So... the heck with the housework, I've got a baby to snuggle who needs me more! I keep the place from getting too bad, but it's far from perfect!
#28 of 66 Old 01-09-2010, 02:07 PM

I sometimes feel guilty about not sticking with my "ideals" and the plans I had before actually giving birth. This thread definitely makes me feel better!! You just can't do it all and have to focus your energies on what is most important to you. In my case the happiness of my family comes before how green, or natural we are. We try, but it can make you crazy if you take it too far....
I've given up (for now at least)..
-Cloth diapers. Didn't like the ones we purchased. Sold them all and planned on trying others, but lure of cheap and easy disposables sadly has us hooked for now. I also don't have the chunk of cash needed to start a stash. $5 target diapers are much easier to finance right now even they I know they will cost more in the long run.
-Baby wearing. My baby doesn't like the sling or moby. She does like the bjorn, which we use when shopping. But ouch my back! Baby wearing mamas are tough.
-All natural toys. We have a huge ugly excersaucer (hand-me-down at least) in the middle of our tiny living room, and she loves it. I also can't spend $30 on a wooden chew toy- not possible, would rather spend it on healthy natural food.

I tell myself at least I am exclusively breastfeeding, and try not be buy anything new, which I have been pretty successful at sticking with. But I do things I would never to before- like throw away the occasional recyclable because I just can't deal with washing it out. But my baby is happy and healthy and so are her parents. We all do our best right??
#29 of 66 Old 01-09-2010, 04:35 PM

I'm another one who thought I'd BW all over the place, but he is heavy and he loves to nap on his stroller walks. Plus sometimes its way easier to leave him in the carseat and run into a store rather than BW.

Plastic toys. But how do you explain this to all the relatives who think if its plastic, it talks, and its obnoxious that its the best toy ever?

I thought I would join all these mom's groups (haven't found any ), baby yoga (class cancelled), baby sign (ditto), etc.

I didn't think my social life would change much. I thought we could just take DS to friend's houses for potlucks and parties and restaurants and he would sleep or I could BW. This worked until 3 months or so and now I tend to stay home more just to try and help keep him napping and sleeping at night. Its frustrating.

Oh yeah...sleep. I gave up on sleep.

Mum to DS1 7/09 and DS2 5/11

#30 of 66 Old 01-09-2010, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post
Wool diaper covers. Never worked out.

He WOULD be sleeping in his own bed through the night. Hahahahahhaha!
Same...Wool/natural fiber diapers and covers. Bum Genius were so much easier for us to wash and they worked so much better for absorbency. Now we are trying part-time/occasional EC, but she still wears her BG's the rest of the time! The organic wool covers...Well...I am trying to sell them. And the cotton prefolds make good wet rags!

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page