does this sound like a milk intolerance? or an anxious mommy? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-08-2010, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My daughter is six and a half months old and tried yogurt for the first time last week despite my worries. She didn't come up with a rash right away but starting the day after her first servings of yogurt she became constipated and developed a red diaper rash (how does that even work with no poop?) and purple circles under her eyes. Oh! and her sleep just totally fell apart but she is definitely not teething. She also has a stuffy nose but she often sounds fairly "gooey."

I know none of this is the classic "blood in the diaper/screaming their head off/eczema everywhere" reaction that babies get when they have a serious problem with dairy. I nannied for three years for a little boy with major dairy issues so these symptoms probably wouldn't even have come in on my radar except that my wife and my MIL both have dairy intolerances and I have been watching my daughter like a hawk for signs. I know most babies would have shown symptoms from their mother's diets by now but my wife avoids dairy for her own sake so my DD hasn't been exposed to more than the barest crumb of cow's milk protein in her life.

Could someone please either tell me I'm nuts for thinking this is an intolerance or tell me I'm nuts for taking six months to second guess myself when it clearly is an intolerance?

Beth, wife to Cass and SAHM to the little french goose, 6/17/09...and now also mom to a second wee girlie 2/6/12. Nursing with low supply, domperidone and a lact-aid.

#2 of 4 Old 01-08-2010, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
"constipated and developed a red diaper rash (how does that even work with no poop?) and purple circles under her eyes."

Sounds like an intolorance/allergy to me. My daughter is allergic to dairy; but has to consume quite a bit of dairy to have blood in her stool. When she is exposed accidently to trace amounts of milk, she gets the above symptoms.

familybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gif nut.gifMommy to my amazing 6 yr old dd, we homeschool.gif, and  27 weeks belly.gifpuke.gifand have been sick the whole time so far, grrrrr!!!!!!!

#3 of 4 Old 01-08-2010, 11:22 PM

I'm new to food intolerance myself, but you might ask over at the Allergy forum. Lots of mamas with experience in this over there!

photosmile2.gif Me= crunchy mama to one rambunctious toddler, born on October 1, 2009. And one sweet little baby born January 19, 2012. heartbeat.gif

#4 of 4 Old 01-08-2010, 11:29 PM

I have a 9 month old who shows similar symptoms. We EC and she still gets a delayed rash 36-48 hours after I eat dairy, green mucus-y stool and terrible sleep. She's totally her charming easy self through it however.

We did IgA testing and it came back clear. I'm leaning towards intolerance. I think you're on the right track here by questioning. Wish I had more answers for you... nak

Vanessa - aspiring Traditional Foods momma of Graham & Margot

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page