When to introduce dairy, eggs, and grains? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 01-08-2010, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD is 9 months and has only had fruits, veggies, and meat so far. I'm wondering if I can/should start introducing more stuff. No history of food allergies in our family, do you think it's safe to give her dairy (not milk), egg yolks, and grains? Should I wait till a year for wheat? Thanks!

lady.gifMama to DS banana.gif(5) and DD broc1.gif(2)

#2 of 14 Old 01-08-2010, 11:30 PM

I give my 7 mo old yogurt, cottage cheese and cereals. Cereals I started at 5mo. Thats my 2 cents.
#3 of 14 Old 01-09-2010, 12:37 AM

We didn't hold off on anything except straight milk. We started with fruits, veggies and scrambled (whole) eggs at 6 months and just kept going. DD loves her peanut butter toast and yogurt for breakfast. We introduced milk around 11 months, but she hates it so she doesn't have it often.

obstruct livery vehicles

#4 of 14 Old 01-10-2010, 01:54 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.....anyone else have an opinion on this?

lady.gifMama to DS banana.gif(5) and DD broc1.gif(2)

#5 of 14 Old 01-10-2010, 02:12 AM

We also started everything at 6 months.. She seemed really ready for food and we didn't hold back. At nearly 10 months old she's a chowhound and will eat anything..
The only thing we don't do is cows milk for drinking. That will wait a while..

Wife, Mother and Doula.
#6 of 14 Old 01-10-2010, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by birthangeldoula View Post
We also started everything at 6 months.. She seemed really ready for food and we didn't hold back. At nearly 10 months old she's a chowhound and will eat anything..
The only thing we don't do is cows milk for drinking. That will wait a while..
Newer thinking shows that there is no compelling evidence that withholding certain foods after 6 months affects future allergies. So we do the same as the PP.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#7 of 14 Old 01-10-2010, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm another one that doesn't really hold back on allergy-causing foods. I start feeding my babies when they show that they're ready.

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11 + Someone New in May 2015! After years of planning, we are finally living our dream in South America!!
#8 of 14 Old 01-10-2010, 03:27 PM

Once DS1 started solids (~7.5 months) he ate whatever we were eating - we never with held certain foods. This time I might start a bit earlier (DS2's 5 months and showing signs of readiness except he can't quite sit up by himself yet), as theres some research that shows that if you wait much past 6-7 months your more likely to end up with allergies/intolerances/celiac's.
#9 of 14 Old 01-10-2010, 06:38 PM

We stuck with fruits, veggies, rice/oat cereal, and meat at 6 - 8 months. Offered wheat and yogurt at 8 months. Egg yolks and tofu at 9 months. There was no compelling reason why we did it in this order. I was just try to offering potential allergens one at a time, and space their introduction out every two weeks or so. We're waiting to offer cow milk until 12 months.
#10 of 14 Old 01-10-2010, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liliaceae View Post
Thanks for the replies.....anyone else have an opinion on this?
Since my background is UK-mutt, I've got the same general genetic make-up as the babies Rapley studied for when she outlined the concept of BLW. So I just went with her notion that there wasn't a need to hold back on anything except the redundant straight milk for drinking.

Other populations mileage may vary. For instance, some Asian populations (such as the Japanese) are more likely to be lactose intolerant.
#11 of 14 Old 01-10-2010, 09:28 PM

very interesting how it varies. My kiddo (8 months has just have BM, veggies, meats and fruits. I think I might start introducing other stuff, besides cow milk though.

: Mother (4/11/06) to Josephine and (4/23/09) to Oliver and baby (due June 1st)

Babies: Angel (6/29/02), Tiberius (3/8/11), Lillianna (12/27/11)

#12 of 14 Old 01-10-2010, 10:54 PM

my ds hasn't been all that interested in solids until recently (and it's still very little interest) at 10.5mo, we haven't done dairy yet but recently let him try some grains, still no egg though. Just sort of waiting until he wants stuff, I had planned on starting solids at 6mo and dairy and grains ~10mo but we're delayed now so I think by the time he's 12mo I'll be giving him all 3, I may hold off on dairy for a while longer since I have some sensitivity to it and he did during the first month or two as well.

Charlotte wife to B momma to Q 2/22/09
#13 of 14 Old 01-10-2010, 11:37 PM

With my first, I started with cereal around 5 months because that was the recommendation years ago. when we went to fruits and veg, i introduced one food at a time for 4 days and went back to a food i knew was safe before i tried another one. i did hold back on eggs and milk (seafood, peanuts, too) until after 1 year. neither myself or my husband have allergies and i feel fortunate to have done this. my oldest was allergic to egg and outgrew at 3 years.

check kellymom on delaying solids here.

my little one (10 months now) we started solids at 6 months.
#14 of 14 Old 01-11-2010, 01:54 AM

DD has major food allergies and I started her on solids early. Maybe it's a coincidence who knows. The Dr says milk eggs and honey after one year. Other food groups after six months. My DS started solids at around 9mo and self weined by 14mo. I wonder if I had breastfed exclusively maybe he would have nursed longer. Looking back I would have changed my approach. As humans we have our whole life to indulge in foods but only a short while to indulge in the sweet milk of our mother's breasts. What's the rush?

living with alopecia universalis (google it), learning alongside my children DD 2003blahblah.gif DS 2007fencing.gifDD 2011jog.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page