It's the Firsts... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-24-2004, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
as a mom, you remember the first time something happens w/ your baby, like the first smile, first step, first tooth. well, we had a first today, onei had forgotten about:

i'm happily strolling through the grocery storebecause the baby is cosily snoozing in the sling and my 3 yr old is so absorbed in his hearth song catalog he is too busy to ask me for every single thing. then it happened:

woman: is that a baby in there?
Me: yes.
Woman: well, he doesn't look very comfortable.
Me: Actually, he's very comfortable, see how he's sleeping so well?

sheesh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2004, 09:33 AM

You should have said, "No, it's an alligator, want to see?"

If this is a first, I'm glad I got it over with early...DS was only a few weeks old when we went to an open-air market with him in the Baby Bjorn...a woman walking by said very loudly, to her companion, "That baby looks squished!" DP had to physically restrain me from chasing her down. Grrr.

~nick
Old 02-24-2004, 11:16 AM

When ds was about 3 months - I was carrying him in the shoulder hold in the sling when he fell asleep. His face was pushed into my shirt and this woman came up to me in a complete panic and started gestering and said - "Oh my, your baby! Can he breathe?!" - I said "Oh yeah - he's fine - just sleeping" and she continues - "Are you sure? His nose is pressed into you?" That's when I got MAD I'm not an idiot! So I said firmly - "The baby is fine." and walked away.

Some people OVERREACT!
Old 02-24-2004, 12:04 PM
KFH

Oh yes, those "are you sure he's comfortable?" or "are you sure he's happy like that?" questions are the worst!

Duh, um, when have you known a baby to just sleep so soundly, or relax into you if it's not happy?????

I ususally try to nicely point that out.

Isn't it usually old women who make these comments too?

Fortunately, I've noticed that those comments are the exception rather than the rule. If I had a nickle for every compliment I've received my slings or coziness of baby in the slings, or where did I get the sling, I'd be able buy one woven from golden threads.
Old 02-24-2004, 12:26 PM

Yes, I have already gotten that too I kindly point out that he was much more "squished" 4 weeks ago:LOL

:Patty :fireman Catholic, intactalactivist, co-sleeping, GDing, HSing, no-vax Mama to .........................:..........hale:
Old 02-24-2004, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

lol, it seems we always cause a ruckus when we step out w/ the sling. i should mention i've gotten plenty of positive comments, too--like, "I sure could have used one of those!" Funnily, it's the moms w/ babes that don't want to appoach and ask about it.
Old 02-24-2004, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Oh yes, those "are you sure he's comfortable?" or "are you sure he's happy like that?" questions are the worst!
Right, but no one blinks an eye at a baby swinging from a baby-bucket far away from mom's arms, inches from the floor. Grrr...

I usually get positive comments on my KKAFP because it just looks so cozy but I have had many many "She can't breath" comments. When she was just a week or two old I had her out Xmas shopping and an older woman asked me if I was going to suffocate her in there. Yes, I am going to suffocate my brand new baby. Please people.

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).
Old 02-24-2004, 07:26 PM

I use a NoJo sling, and I've never heard any nasty comments. But when I go to Target (happens more there than anywhere else, don't know why) I have had many, many people ask if they could see where his feet were. They just couldn't figure it out. I usually showed them, but always thought 1. it's kind of obvious, and 2. weird question to ask someone you don't know.

My DH uses a backpack when we walk outside and he's had people tell him the baby is 'too high' even though he's not as high as my husband's head, and he's securely strapped in. Weird. Both my kids love the backpack, I think they like the light shining off of his bald spot.

That wasn't all that nice, was it? But he's really irritating me today.

Take care,

"Home is where the heart is, no matter how the heart lives." - PP&M
Old 02-24-2004, 07:53 PM

For me, i have never gotten a negative comment about slinging, all positive, people are really curious though! One woman hunted me down and came right up to me, put her hand on dds bottom and said, "oh, how sweet" (i hate when strangers touch my baby... even weirder when you're wearing her!)

Anyhow, i get a lot of the old, old ladies asking me about the hospital... one said to me, "what, did they force you out at 3 days? we stayed a week in my day" I responded, "actually, i was out the next morning, but really wanted to leave the same day... she looked shocked, so i added, "I really would have preferred to birth at home, but couldn't afford it, at least it was a drug-free birth." She walked away!!

I don't understand why everyone (well most of my friends and many other people i know) think that staying in the hospital is more comfortable than being home! I was soooo miserable at the hospital, i didn't sleep a wink, too uncomfortable of a bed, especially with a new infant and the nurses come in and out of the room all night long asking questions and taking temperatures!! No thanks, let me go home!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-24-2004, 08:25 PM

the first time i wore her out in the sling she was abt 4 or 5 days old..we went out for a walk in the park and ppl were just in awe of her and her cuteness (cute little 5 1/2 lbs : )

anyway a couple ppl were around me admiring her and a lady walks up to me and the 'crowd' and says 'is it a dog?' : :

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

Old 02-24-2004, 09:23 PM

T

My heart just melts whenever I see a Daddy wearing his baby. I don't know how many instant crushes I've gotten when I see that. :LOL
Old 02-24-2004, 09:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yup I remember the first time I had someone ask me the TWO annoying sling questions at once. It was a bagger at Safeway:

Bagger:"Isn't he going to fall out of that?"
Me: "Nope he's very secure"
Bagger: "Isn't he squished in there?"
Me: "He was far more squished in the womb."

But I do get many MANY more positive comments and "where'd you get that?" questions than negative ones.

Lisa, mama to Orion (7) , Fiona Star (born sleeping @ 38wks 12/6/08) , our bitty (m/c 7/27/09) , and Charlotte Athena (11/5/10)
Old 02-24-2004, 09:43 PM

Oh yeah, people always ask me if she is going to fall out. If I am cranky I snip at them but if I'm feeling OK I will show them that it is a pouch and she is in the pocket.

I wonder if people ask all the front pack people if the circulation to their baby's dangling legs is getting cut off... or if they are uncomfortable with their heads just hanging there. People are so used to seeing mainstream parenting gear that AP gear shocks them. Sad.

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).
Old 02-24-2004, 09:51 PM

I've found shop assistants are the absolute worse! My last conversation about the sling got downright narky. I reckon my ratio of good to bad comments is about 30/70, bias to the good. Contray to other's, Ive found old ladies the best

I think some people find it a bit threatening, they see it for what it is, a GREAT thing for the baby and perhaps feel a bit defensive because they didn't do it, and quickly try to come up with reasons why you are doing the wrong thing - bad for your back, baby squished, can't breate, can't see, will want to be held too much, yada yada.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:07 PM

I got one from my uncle of all people..

"You still look pregnant when you wear that sling thing. Wasn't 9 months of carrying her enough?"

I said, "I enjoy carrying her".

He said, "Don't you have a stroller?"

Some people just don't get it.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:20 PM
bec

In a baby clothes resale shop, I got it. DD1 was about 7 months old.

Clerk (in a panic): "OH MY GOD!!! AREN'T YOU AFRAID SHE'S GOING TO FALL OUT?!"

Me (blandly and calmly): "Uh, no."

Honestly, like I would use it if I thought she was insecure.:

Bec

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
Old 02-25-2004, 03:38 AM

I was browsing with ds in his sling in a Discover Channel store when a salesperson came up to me and asked if I had a DOG in there. (he was only a couple months at the time) When I said, "no, I have my baby in here," he was surprised and said he had only heard of DOG SLINGS!!! I just shook my head and turned around...
Old 02-25-2004, 04:00 AM
Banned

grrrrr! I hate it when people say things like that!
Old 02-25-2004, 09:09 AM
KFH

Quote:
Right, but no one blinks an eye at a baby swinging from a baby-bucket far away from mom's arms, inches from the floor. Grrr...
Sheena, ITA! I feel that way everytime I see it, but I never thought to equate it to the sling comments (maybe because I'd never ask someone I didn't know if their babe was comfy, etc. unless I saw them turning purple!) Maybe I will have to start.

Quote:
"You still look pregnant when you wear that sling thing. Wasn't 9 months of carrying her enough?"
Sophia's Mommy, I've commented on this about myself. In my fleece pouch, I look about 18 mos. pregnant from the side. What's wrong with that?
Old 02-25-2004, 09:30 AM

My bf's DH said to me, 'Carrying her again, wasnt nine months enough for you?'

I just replied no but afterwards I thought I should have told him I was exogestating like Dr Sears says!:LOL
Old 02-25-2004, 04:40 PM

KFH-
It was the way he said it. I loved being pregnant and think pregnant woman are beautiful. But that wasn't his tone- he meant it as a negative, as though I should be more concerned with my appearances.

User Tag List