What does your baby wear? (I'm frustrated with baby clothes!) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 68 Old 01-14-2010, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What kind of clothes do you normally/mostly put on your baby? i.e. full out baby "outfits", or just sleepers, onesies and babylegs, etc.? Dresses?

A friend of mine very graciously mailed me two boxes of hand-me-down clothes that her DD outgrew. My DD is 7 months old and roughly in the 90th percentile...so *some* of the clothes fit. But mostly everything is the wrong season, or too short, or seems uncomfortable, i.e. baby jeans, skorts, etc.

I have been having such issues with baby pants and shirts. The pants ride up and her legs get cold, the shirts tend to do the same. A long sleeve onesie and Babylegs looks really cute, but the Babylegs seem to dig into her chubby little thighs and leave dark red marks.

If I put her in a dress, she pulls it up and chews on it.

Lately I've had her in a long sleeve onesie and a pair of 18 month tight leggings, although it looks a little weird because the pants are too big (but the cover her and stay on her legs, and so are practical.)

What's your standard baby "uniform"?

Mama to Fenergy.gif(06/11/09) and baby boy C baby.gif (06/09/11) 

#2 of 68 Old 01-14-2010, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
DS is 8 months, he wears soft fleece pants (I'm in Colorado) and a long sleeved onesie every day. When I had girls, they had a couple dresses and leggings as babies but mostly it was the same as what DS wears. When they are little babies then I do only sleepers or a onesie if it is summer add a pants of cotton pants when it gets a little cooler. It is getting harder to find long sleeved onesies in DS's size, he is wearing 18m ones now so he does a couple long sleeved shirts but I still put a short sleeved onesie underneath to combat the shirt riding up problem. By next winter I won't need to do that anymore and it will be regular clothes.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#3 of 68 Old 01-14-2010, 12:59 PM

My DD is a little over 7 months and is in 9-12 months sizes mostly. She is in the 75th percentile I think, so I feel you on the chubby legs! We do use babylegs and a ls onesie in the evening before bed, so she can crawl around after a bath and if she falls asleep, I can just slip the baby legs off and put her in a sleep bag.

During the day, I have recently discovered tights and a t-shirt/ls shirt/dress around the house are great. We have several pairs of nice thick tights, which I love because socks tend to slide off when she wears pants, due to crawling around. If we have to go out then it's the same outfit, topped with a one-piece fleece thing with a hood.

~Erin~ totally in with Olivia! 5/31/09
#4 of 68 Old 01-14-2010, 01:08 PM

My DS is three months and he mostly wears sleepers, once in a while a long sleeved onesie and pants.

rebecca: mama to Jack Oct09 born at home! - BF, Co-sleeping, cloth diapering, child-led solids; writer, book designer and teen mentor; dh 10+yrs (who gets to work at home!) and two cats.
#5 of 68 Old 01-14-2010, 01:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
My son is 11 weeks.
The footless (plus socks) sleepers and one-pieces fill his closet as he wears them day and night.
#6 of 68 Old 01-14-2010, 01:28 PM

footie pjs...90% of the time. Just easier to deal with. dd is not quite 4 months and is in 12 month clothes.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#7 of 68 Old 01-14-2010, 01:33 PM

my kids never did full outfits, they were just in diapers half of the time unless we left the house. We used baby legs often, much more than pants... and simple t shirts.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#8 of 68 Old 01-14-2010, 01:43 PM

DS is 4.5 months old. I do outfits, but only if we are going out. I love matching stuff - to me that is part of the fun of having a small baby. I hate onesies so typically he's in soft pants (not jeans they feel so hard and uncomfortable) and a shirt. if we're just kicking around the house he wear a one piece
#9 of 68 Old 01-14-2010, 02:08 PM

DD is 6 months and some days she only in sleepers or only a diaper. Jeans are a must in her wardrobe though, because I hate having to have a special pair of pants for every shirt. Jeans go with everything! They're cute, they're comfy, and they don't ride up.

A tired mommy to DD (7/09) and loving wife to DH (08/06)
#10 of 68 Old 01-14-2010, 02:12 PM

Footie jammies for my 3.5 month old, I just don't like really dealing with an outfit unless we are going somewhere, then it is one-piece outfit.

Babies just love chewing on their clothes, my son needs his clothes changed a couple times a day because he always is chewing on the front.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#11 of 68 Old 01-14-2010, 02:16 PM

In the summer it was mostly a diaper and a t-shirt... or just a diaper.

Now that it's cold and I get really annoyed with putting socks back on every 5 minutes, he's in PJ's almost all the time.

Single Mama to Vincent 3/30/09
#12 of 68 Old 01-14-2010, 02:16 PM

At home with my 10 month old, a cloth diaper. Sometimes a sleep and play footed pjs if it is cold out. When going out leggings and long shirt or a dress and leggings or babylegs. I really dislike onsies though.

Sarah nak.gif married to DH Dan (August 2001) dh_malesling.GIF and Mommy to DS Desmond (April 2007) pinktongue.gif, DD Eloise (March 2009) hearts.gif and Sullivan (March 29, 2011) babyboy.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.giflactivist.gifcd.giffamilybed2.gif
#13 of 68 Old 01-14-2010, 02:18 PM

DD is 11 mos in 9-12 mos size clothes. She goes to daycare, so she wears a long-sleeve onsie with cotton pants and socks (and sometimes a t-shirt over the onesie), or a one-piece jumper with socks. They're my favorite b/c you don't have to match anything. As far as legs riding up, she wears leg warmers if we go out for any extended period of time, but we're in ATX so it's not really that cold.

Baby Gap makes some cute soft jeans--got some on sale at the outlet for $6.

OP if you can sew at all you can make some baby leg warmers out of whatever you have--just don't put elastic in. Basically make tubes that are narrower at one end. Adult tube socks with the feet cut out also work pretty well!

#14 of 68 Old 01-14-2010, 02:24 PM

DH loves to put him in one piece rompers. I don't like them because he out grows them so fast and they never quite fit him right. They always seem to be short in the legs even though DS has a long torso. The buttons are also murder on my carpal tunnel. Still, I keep those in the rotation since DH seems to love them so

I like to put him in shirts and pants (his weekend wear, lol). Onsies never fit right because he has a long torso. I shop at resale shops and/or get hand-me downs, so I can mix and match the sizes for the right fit for him.

He wears footed sleepers for bedtime. I hate them with a passion, but they keep him warm. I would put him in a sleep-sack instead if he weren't so darn big! If anyone knows where I can buy a sleep-sack gown for a long 20+ pounder, let me know!!!

We generally throw a bib on him if he is extra drooly or needs a built in chew toy, lol.

I can't wait for the warm weather to return so he can live a shirt and a diaper again!!! I'll probably just get him some neutral shorts that we can throw on him to go out of the house.

Happily married mom to DS (Aug 09) and two furry troublemakers.

#15 of 68 Old 01-14-2010, 02:26 PM

Dress/tunic length shirt and elastic waist pants. Absolutely love this combination, wish it worked for boys just as well... But I find it hard to find pants that are complimentary in color.

I love how they can "outgrow" the dresses and they just become shirts so they can be worn much later than the size/age suggests.

I use the babylegs to keep ankles warm too, but I don't pull them all the way up if they are going to be worn under pants. They probably sit a little higher than the knee and then I stuff a pair of socks on and the ankle gap that gets exposed to air to covered and warm.

M.Ed. Mama to Chunka (1/07), Beauty (5/09) and Elizabear 3/12): Birth Doula (working toward certification) AAMI Midwifery Student, Advocating with Solace for Mothers & The Birth Survey

#16 of 68 Old 01-14-2010, 03:02 PM

I thought I would keep my DS (3.5 months old) in sleepers and rompers all the time, but turns out I like the little outfits . So at night he wears cotton, footed, pjs, but during the day he wears a long sleeve onesie and some soft (cotton or fleece) pants. For "special occasions" I have a pair of jeans which are adorable but impractical (hard to change the diaper in them) and some cute knitted sweaters.

I just started doing some EC though, so when we're home during the day now I just have him in CD, babylegs and a shirt. He is quite the chub, so we get the red marks from babylegs too. I try to just move the top a lot so it doesn't squeeze any one spot too long. I may try making some of my own though!

photosmile2.gif Me= crunchy mama to one rambunctious toddler, born on October 1, 2009. And one sweet little baby born January 19, 2012. heartbeat.gif

#17 of 68 Old 01-14-2010, 03:31 PM

I've been so frustrated with clothing because we have so much of it for our ds who's 4months old. I too can't stand 2 pieces for the same reasons as you and denim for babies doesn't make any sense to me, (i prefer softer materials like fleece or cotton). I wish we were just given onsies and sleepers, and not just any sleepers; the ones with the snaps that run from neck down to both legs, (i hate the ones that only run down one leg). I'm hoping that we'll like putting him in other clothes as he gets older.

Love of our life, born September 2009
#18 of 68 Old 01-14-2010, 03:58 PM

My baby is 4 months old, and mostly wearing 12 month old sizes! We got a ton of stuff from family too, but like you, it's all in the wrong season!

He has a few pairs of comfy 'sweat pants', and so he usually just wears a long sleeved onesie and those pants, or baby legs if it's warmer. He sleeps in the one piece sleepers.

I don't really like the shirts (that aren't onesies) because he's always got an exposed belly!
#19 of 68 Old 01-14-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenneology View Post
I use the babylegs to keep ankles warm too, but I don't pull them all the way up if they are going to be worn under pants. They probably sit a little higher than the knee and then I stuff a pair of socks on and the ankle gap that gets exposed to air to covered and warm.
That is a great idea!!

For DS2 1 year this saturday - we recently (like the last month) started putting him in more regular clothes since he's wears like 24M/2t pants and shirts (fit perfectly). Since its winter here the usual outfit is the following:

24m footless 2pc cotton pjs, jeans or sweatpants, t-shirt, & socks

Nighttime - footed pjs

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#20 of 68 Old 01-14-2010, 04:08 PM

When I had my son - I thought I had to put him in little baby outfits. I remember him living in baby gros (these) for the first few weeks of his life. But I got the impression that a lot of people (here in the UK anyhow) consider these 'pajamas' (so why was he wearing them during the day? lol)... And I felt 'lacking' when I started going to the post natal groups with other mums who had their babies around the same time...cause they too also had their babies in little cute baby outfits.

I never bought him anything uncomfortable though like jeans - unless they were super fine cotton ones that were more like cotton trousers that just looked like jeans! hehe - Little cotton outfits like this perhaps. So cute, but comfy!

This baby will be living in 'Pjs' though for the first few months of their life at least! hehe
First though - there is a difference in time of year my babies will be born. My son was September and things got cold quickly after that. Though he was a very hot baby and got heat rash easily so I could never bundle him up too much. Also - we practice EC...and as you can imagine, anything with 'poppers' is a pain in the bottom. So this baby will mostly live in sleep gowns and t-shirts (with a variety of options to keep them warm such as baby legs and cardigans, etc). And then, we have long torsos - which poses a few other problems. Two pieces, if any type of 'outfit' is the best way for us to go because of this.

Outfits can be nice, but when you have your second (or third, etc...) I don't think you care as much! lol Babies don't do much so its perfectly fine for them to be in 'Pjs' most of the time anyhow! hehe They are cheaper and easier to change as well as needed!

My son was huge and went straight into 3-6 month clothing as he was very long and near 11lbs! lol This one hopefully will be much smaller (I am not having cakes! lol)

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
#21 of 68 Old 01-14-2010, 04:08 PM

I don't remember putting denim pants on dd1 until she was 12 months+. Dd2 (2 months) is pretty much always in sleepers right now, since they're warm. Once it warms up a little bit she will be in mostly onesies and leggings or short rompers. I'm all about easy and comfortable. I pretty much only dress them up for pictures, lol!
#22 of 68 Old 01-14-2010, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Dress/tunic length shirt and elastic waist pants. Absolutely love this combination, wish it worked for boys just as well... But I find it hard to find pants that are complimentary in color.

I love how they can "outgrow" the dresses and they just become shirts so they can be worn much later than the size/age suggests.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauchamp View Post
What kind of clothes do you normally/mostly put on your baby? i.e. full out baby "outfits", or just sleepers, onesies and babylegs, etc.? Dresses?
I have outfits that get treated as separates.

I too like the tunic length shirts with pants. If it's chilly out, I throw a onesie underneath it. Dd goes to daycare so she does need to be "dressed;" at home, if the weather's warmish, I let her roam in just a diaper and t-shirt.

Two piece pjs seem to work well as day clothes. They usually have a little ribbing at the ankles, which keeps them in place even if they're a little long.

Mom of two girls.
#23 of 68 Old 01-14-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
I do this when it is cold too. I've never been able to pull the babylegs all the way up without them cutting indents in his chunky thighs. Jonas is mostly in onesies or long sleeve shirts with sweatpants. I love the look of little babies in jeans but for the life of me can't seem to find any that fit him right. If they fit in the waist they're way too long in the legs. I think it'll just have to wait until he's older!

Madalyn military wife to Chris & proud momma to Jonas 5/17/09
#24 of 68 Old 01-14-2010, 04:35 PM

During the summer it gets soooo hot here in TX, DS wore mostly onesies and baby legs if we were going to be inside where it might be a little cool. Now he wears mostly long sleeve onesies and either pj pants or little baby sweat pants or loose pants. He's got outfits for outtings and such but mostly I'll just throw him in some jeans and a long sleeve onsie under a short sleeve onesie or t-shirt. I also put him in little soft Robeez shoes but that's mainly cause they keep his socks on. The dressing up is mainly for me though lol. I also have a little beanie addiction.

dreads.gif  ribbonyellow.gif Proud Army Wife to DH ribbonyellow.gif  mama to one busy boy blahblah.gif and his dog2.gif  
#25 of 68 Old 01-14-2010, 04:43 PM

DD, who is just about 6 months, pretty much lives in sleepers. Every once in a while I will put her in a "cute" outfit that someone gave us if we are expecting a visit from them, but its really just soooooo much easier to snap or zip up a one-piece. Baby clothes tend to look really cute on the hanger but are not very practical for everyday wear.

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#26 of 68 Old 01-14-2010, 04:43 PM

My babies, summer and winter, usually wear a shirt and their cloth diaper. Mine usually don't wear pant or socks, though our house is smallish, well-insulated, and easy to keep warm. I think it helps them learn to crawl when they aren't slipping on and fighting their clothes. Probably the cutest regular outfit of my three had to be ds. I had a stash of flannel shirts and aristocrats (shorties). He wore that about every day. SO cute and old fashioned looking.

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

#27 of 68 Old 01-14-2010, 05:21 PM

When DS was about 0-6 months old it was mostly onesies and footed sleepers, or just onesies for the summer. I'd throw on a pair of soft knit shorts when we went out.

Now in the winter and nearing a year old he's in long sleeved onesies and sweat pants around the house, and I'll put some *gasp* jeans on him when we go out since its so cold her. (I may be alone in this, but I don't think his jeans look uncomfortable or impractical.) And I'll usually put another long sleeved shirt on him too, for more warmth.
He always looks comfortable, so I must be doing something right.

Michelle, wife to Ken, momma to Noah
#28 of 68 Old 01-14-2010, 05:30 PM

DS is hard to dress because he is so long. Onesies and sleepers with the feet dont fit him right. If they are long enough, then they are too wide, like, way too wide. And if it fits, its about 3-4 inches too short.

I like him in a shirt, diaper (cloth), babylegs and some socks. I dont have to worry about anything being too short that way.

I HATE baby pants. DS has quite a few people have given us, but I only put him in an 'outfit' with pants if we are going somewhere special.

I did feel like I had to have him in 'outfits' and matching for the first two weeks, but I am way past that now. Whatever is clean, warm, and easy goes on him.

Right now he is wearing a blue long sleeve shirt with a polar bear on the front, a cream colored diaper with little monsters on it, some black babylegs with pirate skulls, and some yellow socks with giraffes.

Yes, the outfit is honestly ridiculous, but its cute at the same time, and he is warm and comfy lol.

Mama to Xavian, born 11-24-09
#29 of 68 Old 01-14-2010, 05:38 PM

Don't you guys have pants like these in the US?
Those with a longsleeved onesie is pretty standard here.
Those pants are organic wool, and we use organic wool onesies too.

-pixie, my dear, and (A-88), N-98, Littlest-06/00-08/00, J-03 & Little Miss Cotton Ball Button-03 (SN), S-05, Hope-loss 09/09, Bean-loss 04/10, and littlePopcorn due feb. 8th -11.
#30 of 68 Old 01-14-2010, 06:09 PM

She lived in gowns the first month at least - socks if she needed them.

For the next two months it was mostly those onesies with the built in skirt and socks if necessary, or just a cute shirt and matching cloth diaper.

For the last two months it has been onesies with socks around the house. Long sleeved or short sleeved and whether or not I put on pants depends on how the temperature in the house is. (I have no problem with pants - they never pull up higher than her ankles anyway.)

If we go out I might just throw a jacket over what she's already in, or she might make it into a shirt/pant outfit.

As a general rule though, she doesn't wear shirts around the house or at things like playgroup. They just bunch up around her armpits when I hold her. I also refuse to buy/use anything denim (so uncomfortable!) or anything with feet (don't know why - I always feel like they're impractical and too hot).

I usually like dresses too - with leggings or babylegs under if it's cold, but now that she's crawling, she gets her knees all caught up in them, so they've been retired.

I'm Kellie :, married to Chris , and mom to one baby girl (7/12/09).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page