September 09 Babes & Mamas - Page 28 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-29-2010, 11:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How horrible... I can't even imagine. I must still have some serious mama hormones going on, cause I don't even know them and I'm in tears just thinking about it.

Strong single mama to Ethan (9/09) and Rowyn (7/12)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2010, 12:02 AM

Random question: who has spent the night away from their LO?

I'm asking because it seems as though most of my friends who have babies roughly Lucy's age or younger have already....but I am sooooo not ready for that. Am I the only one?

Running, blogging, gardening, military mama... to Louisa Mae 9/2/09 and June Elizabeth 12/7/10. 
Old 08-30-2010, 12:34 AM

no over nights yet. It too me until dd1 was almost 3 years old before I spent a night away from her.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:58 AM

Not here either. I keep thinking about it, since E's formula fed now and I trust my mom implicitly... And I could really use a full night of sleep. But I just can't do it.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:55 AM

My sweet girl just turned one. I can't believe where the time has gone.

A week before her birthday, she started to walk. Walk! It's amazing to watch her toddle around. I miss her being a baby, but I can't wait to watch her grow. She amazes me more and more every day.

We had a great party and she had nice company and nice gifts.

Sigh..

On a side note, my beautiful six month old niece spent the night with us. (and her mama!) She is the sweetest, chunky girl. We weighed her and she was 21lbs. 6oz. Then we weighed my petite Jocelyn. She weighed 19lbs. 14oz. I can't believe my one year old weighs less than 20 pounds. She has four big, brute brothers, so this little girl is surprising to me! My niece, on the other hand, is a gorgeous tub.

Haha.

Happy Birthday to the upcoming birthday babies!

-Tangy
Mama to Jon (14), Josh (12), Jack (5), Jamison (3), and Jocelyn (9 months)
Old 08-30-2010, 12:24 PM

Well, it looks to me like it's time to move this post to the *gasp* TODDLERS! section.

I know that I may not be ready to make the leap, but apparently the kids are- all this walking and babbling and growing going on! It's been a wonderful year of celebration and discovery, and I feel blessed to have been able to share it all with such a strong, smart and supportive group of women.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:47 PM

Seeing as how it is about time to move to Toddlers... I've started a thread over there for us. http://www.mothering.com/discussions...8#post15788228

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Old 08-30-2010, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitrizmom View Post
Seeing as how it is about time to move to Toddlers... I've started a thread over there for us. http://www.mothering.com/discussions...8#post15788228

nooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not ready!!! I will not go.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

Old 08-30-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitrizmom View Post
I think they labeled SIDS. The sitter found her not breathing on Monday, did CPR, called 911. She was in the hospital, medicated/on a vent/chilled, until Thursday afternoon when she passed. The medical team did everything possible to bring her back.
This is heartbreaking. I'm so very sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ein328 View Post

I'm asking because it seems as though most of my friends who have babies roughly Lucy's age or younger have already....but I am sooooo not ready for that. Am I the only one?
No overnights yet. Although i did have to make a 4am airport run, and had my mom stay with the baby from 4-6ish. I don't know if that counts. There's nobody but my DH that I could inflict a night with DS on yet. Maybe when he get's to be easier to manage.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

Old 08-30-2010, 10:22 PM

we co-sleep with Sam and his bedtime is roughly between 7 and 8pm. all of a sudden my sweet easy to bed (most nights anyways) Baby Boy will fight DH and I tooth and nail to stay awake. Am I alone here? What are you Mommas doing that I am not?

Previously we would throw in the towel and let him come downstairs and playa bit more until he showed signs of being tired and then try again. But just this week we feel like he's been duping us, and decided that we'll just switch off shifts of laying in bed with him..

Momma to Samuel Wyatt 8/15/09 and our new addition Jack 9/25/11!   mdcblog5.gif  winner.jpgcd.gif

Old 08-30-2010, 11:51 PM

eh. DS was never easy to put to sleep, and sleep fight is a regular occourance. We try for a set amount of time, and then give up and let him play.

He's not duping you-- most likely his needs are changing-- either with sleep or food or interaction. We get best results by trying to manage naps and wearing him out with activity during the day. but even then we have days like to day, where he slept till 7 for his nap, he's not going back to sleep till midnight. Aint parenting fun!

Old 08-31-2010, 11:56 PM

I am so not happy...I mean I am but I am not. Maybe I am not a happy person...or maybe I am depressed. Anyone taking something for postpartum depression and breast feeding? Are there all natural non chemical non harmful alternatives? I don't know where to post. I haven't even discussed this with DH...I just want to laugh again! AHHHH I want to enjoy being a stay at home mom. I mean I do enjoy it, I love her, Sophia is amazing. I wouldn't change a thing about my life...except to be happy. I needed to vent. I wrote another post in life with a babe as well "I hate". I am struggling. I feel alone. I don't know how to find/pick a councelor, I hate to ask for help, I am scared...thanks ladies I know you are here and listening to me...just need support!

Sophia ~ 9/21 learning how to be crunchy mama. Uh oh, I just went over the crunch edge! ECing!! Planned ~ maybe next time : :
Old 09-01-2010, 11:58 AM

sugarpop - There are several of us here that have been struggling with the "not happy"/depression issues. I have been taking Vitamin D and a B vitamin complex to help. I also find that I do so much better when I get at least 30 minutes of (fairly intense) physical activity. The days that I get my vitamins and exercise it is like I'm a different, happy, person. The days without, I am crabby and not much fun to be around.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:23 PM

s sugarpop, i know exactly what you mean. It is a hard feeling to describe. You know you should be happy but you don't actually feel that way. I'm sorry that you're dealing with this but you're not alone. Do you have a PCP/OB/midwife who you trust? Start there. And the suggestions Dmitrizmom gave are great! Those are things you do can right away. I started with those and they really helped me get out of the funk enough to recognize how badly I was feeling. Unfortunately, those weren't enough for me and so now I'm taking 50 mg zoloft as well. I'm not breastfeeding but I'm pregnant and I've read/been told that it is one of the safest to take while BFing/pregnant. I still have moody moments but I am starting to laugh and smile genuinely again. Also, you should head over to the postpartum depression board. There is a sticky there for postpartum resources. You can find local counselors or groups if you want.

reading.gifwife to superhero.gifDH, mom to bouncy.gifDS (9/24/09) and heartbeat.gifDS (EDD: 4/24/11)
Old 09-01-2010, 02:33 PM

oh a board...thanks i am heading there now!

Sophia ~ 9/21 learning how to be crunchy mama. Uh oh, I just went over the crunch edge! ECing!! Planned ~ maybe next time : :
Old 09-01-2010, 07:11 PM

StrongFeather--Oh we've been there! e tried both letting him stay up and laying in bed with him for hours. For us, once we switched to one nap and he stopped fighting bedtime, but I think you've already done that. Maybe he needs more exercise/activity later in the day? I think they just go through phases of being too interested in the world around them to relax and sleep.

Ein328--my answer to have a spent a night away from ds is "hell no!" I may be in the minority here, but I just CANNOT imagine this. I don't want to do it, nor could I see it working. Me and my babe need to snuggle at night! Then again DH and I haven't even had a solo date yet. . .

sugarpop--hope you get the help you need. That's hard. I just started feeling like myself again--I haven't been depressed I don't think, but it took this long to feel "normal" again. Or maybe my brain has just caught up finally with my new reality.

I guess I won't post here anymore since we're over in Toddlers. . .oh dear. I'm so glad we've keep up this way! You mamas rock!

photosmile2.gif Me= crunchy mama to one rambunctious toddler, born on October 1, 2009. And one sweet little baby born January 19, 2012. heartbeat.gif

Old 09-01-2010, 09:03 PM

Ugh, I have mastitis again. Bad. It came on so fast. I had a plug I was working on, I thought it was gone, it had stopped hurting. A whole day (or even two?) went by with no pain.

Tuesday night I went to bed fine. Woke up at 3am in PAIN, like serious pain. I woke Gavin up and made him nurse, I had to use my labor breathing to tolerate it, OMG it hurt.

I got up at 6am and pumped, again with breathing and forced relaxation. Then the nausea and shakes hit. By 7am it was full body, everything hurts, fever hit, BAM full blown mastitis.

I went to the dr right away, unfortunately I'm allergic to Penicillin, which is the drug of choice, so I don't have the luxury of trying to use natural ways to get rid of mastitis, I use natural methods to get rid of plugs, but not when it progresses to body aches/fever/etc. The dr was really nice, said he can't imagine what it must feel like, and listened to my request to please not touch/palpate it. I told him I'm a LLL Leader and have had mastitis 6 times, so I know what I'm dealing with (this was just my family practice dr, usually I call the OB, but I couldn't get in to the OB fast enough). He asked me what med and what dosage I usually take and called it in.

I've spent the whole day in bed, I got up just to eat (barely anything, I can't stomach food right now) and immediately went back to bed again. Myfever is hovering around 101 most of the time.

God, it hurts

Mommy to BigBoy Ian (3-17-05) ; LittleBoy Connor (3-3-07) (DiGeorge/VCFS):; BabyBoy Gavin (10-3-09) x3 AngelBaby (1-7-06)
Old 09-01-2010, 09:10 PM

2boyzmama~oh that sounds terrible! I am so sorry you are suffering. I hope you are able to take it easy, although, from the sounds of it you don't have much of a choice. I had no idea it could get like that. I hope you are better soon. Keep us posted!

Old 09-02-2010, 12:12 AM

2boyzmama - hope the mastitis clears quickly. Had it once and it sucked.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:08 AM
tzs

oh sugarpop, i feel your pain.
i also had the SAH malaise. i wasn't depressed enough to be "depressed" and get in some good crying but i was depressed enough to be totally unmotivated, bummed, generally not happy. so i had the genius idea of going back to work part-time. great, i work at a pre-school, she can be there in the baby room, it will be am's only and then we'll be super-motivated and happy and....
they talked me into doing 3 days full-day as well (on a trial basis, i made sure) and it SUCKS! yeah, we're out of the house. we're not watching the view on tv all morning but now i can;t get anything done, the house is way more of a mess, i'm feeling like i'm always playing catch-up, i'm depriving ada of sleep because i prematurely took away her am nap, AND i'm not spending any good time with her. i don;t know how you WOH moms do it, especially with more than one kid.
now i don't know what to do (except knock off those full-days, for sure) dammed if you do, dammed if you don't.

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
Old 09-02-2010, 01:50 AM

oh 2boyz! I'm sorry that you are dealing with this on top of everything else s

sugarpop, I've been there, and its sometimes exhausting trying just to figure out if you are depressed or not. I've made myself crazy in the past that way. I'd try counseling if it's available. I got much more help with that than when asking my family dr, midwife or ob. All the dr's seemed to do was get out their prescription pad. A counselor was willing to work with me where I was and helped me out a lot.

Old 09-02-2010, 02:43 AM

Feel better 2boys. . .I remember how much mastitis sucked!

Hey Texmati, I just noticed your new sigi--congrats on a girl! How exciting!

photosmile2.gif Me= crunchy mama to one rambunctious toddler, born on October 1, 2009. And one sweet little baby born January 19, 2012. heartbeat.gif

Old 09-02-2010, 05:33 PM

tzs - I'm starting to wonder how WOH moms do it too, and I'm one of them! A typical day for us involved DH geting home at 7 am, which is about when E wakes up. He takes care of him til 8:30, then I get up and take over, and DH goes to bed. I have E all morning, and we head off to my best friend's parents (our baby sitters) at around 12:30. I start work at 2. E stays at the babysitters til DH picks him up at 5, and then he handles all of the evening caretaking, bath, and bed. I get home around 10:30, just in time to give DH a hug, since he has to be to work at 11. It works, but it's HARD. I'm thankful that we don't have to use daycare, and E is only away from home 4 - 5 hrs per day. But DH and I don't get to see each other AT ALL. And in the morning I'm rushing around a bit trying to keep the house in order, get showered, maybe run errands, and play with E. I only have time to cook a meal on my days off, and my gardening and canning have also taken a big hit this year.

I just don't know anymore. I like my job, but I'm having a hard time with the lack of true family life. We could function on DH's salary only, but not while accomplishing the renovations our house desperately needs. And then there's all the uncertainty in the economy right now. I could get a part-time job, but then I wouldn't be anywhere near as recession-proof as I am now. If nothing else, we are financially secure right now with about a snowball-in-hell's chance of getting laid off or downsized.

I'm not big on gender stereotypes, but in so many ways I just want to tell DH that making ends meet is his problem, I'm going to stay home and take care of our house and baby!!

Old 09-03-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2boyzmama View Post
Ugh, I have mastitis again. Bad. It came on so fast. I had a plug I was working on, I thought it was gone, it had stopped hurting. A whole day (or even two?) went by with no pain.

Tuesday night I went to bed fine. Woke up at 3am in PAIN, like serious pain. I woke Gavin up and made him nurse, I had to use my labor breathing to tolerate it, OMG it hurt.

I got up at 6am and pumped, again with breathing and forced relaxation. Then the nausea and shakes hit. By 7am it was full body, everything hurts, fever hit, BAM full blown mastitis.

I went to the dr right away, unfortunately I'm allergic to Penicillin, which is the drug of choice, so I don't have the luxury of trying to use natural ways to get rid of mastitis, I use natural methods to get rid of plugs, but not when it progresses to body aches/fever/etc. The dr was really nice, said he can't imagine what it must feel like, and listened to my request to please not touch/palpate it. I told him I'm a LLL Leader and have had mastitis 6 times, so I know what I'm dealing with (this was just my family practice dr, usually I call the OB, but I couldn't get in to the OB fast enough). He asked me what med and what dosage I usually take and called it in.

I've spent the whole day in bed, I got up just to eat (barely anything, I can't stomach food right now) and immediately went back to bed again. Myfever is hovering around 101 most of the time.

God, it hurts
I am so, so sorry! I hope the antibiotics do their thing quickly and you feel better ASAP! My mama had all 7 of us kids naturally, and said that mastitis was the most painful thing she ever went through

Running, blogging, gardening, military mama... to Louisa Mae 9/2/09 and June Elizabeth 12/7/10. 
Old 09-07-2010, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ein328 View Post

not since we got him out of the hospital.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarpop View Post
I am so not happy...I mean I am but I am not. Maybe I am not a happy person...or maybe I am depressed. Anyone taking something for postpartum depression and breast feeding? Are there all natural non chemical non harmful alternatives?
i'm on 50 mg of zoloft now- have been for about 3 weeks. it helps loads for me. i was crying all.the.time, but not now. i also take extra vit d, but it wasn't enough on its own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2boyzmama View Post
Ugh, I have mastitis again. Bad. It came on so fast.
ouch! feel better soon. you can't use hepar sulfur and phytolacca?

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
Old 09-12-2010, 12:32 AM

My LO still has 12 more days before she is a toddler, so I'm staying here as long as I can!!

No nights away from her. The first night away from my now 6 YO was when I was in the hospital having the baby. I have let my 6 yo stay with my parents twice since then, but I can't handle the thought of not being with the baby over night. My mom would have to be up half the night anyhow, as we are up every 2 hours many nights. I get excited over 4 hours these days.

2Boyz, feel better. That sounds terrible.

I have been ina funk too. I'm coming out of it, but basically, I am looking around my house thinking it is time to get back to normal again... normal routines, cleaning, decluttering. The past 4 years have been spent dealing with infertility, miscarriages, a very nerve-wracking pregnancy, and healing from a traumatic birth and learning how to juggle more than one child. Not to mention home-schooling my older dd. We are sending her to public school this year, so I'll have some free time when the baby naps and I just need to find a sense of normalcy, ya know?

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
Old 09-12-2010, 02:00 AM

Well, I know...I am slack! As we all know how hard mothering is anyway, I was thinking adding a second child would be so much like having the first...WHAT??? It's not? Why didn't anyone tell me??? I am struggling with what I think is probably PPD and being told that "If my faith is strong enough...or "that is just of the devil and there is no such thing..." YK? I have had enough of that for now to suit my tastes. On to another subject, baby Sarah started out with mild Laryngomalacia, severe reflux, and moved on to reflux of the right kidney. So I have had my hands full. We have no children's specialists around here for that so I had to drive on more than one occasion to a hospital that was about an hour away (one way)...My summer was crazy. However, baby is doing well as we get ready to celebrate her first birthday the 25th, her kidney is well enough they are holding off of surgery (we have already had a VCUG, Renal Bladder U/S, nuclear medicine test and one other that I can't remember right now...) and the meds! OMG! We won't see anyone at the specialist again until Christmas, dd1 started school with no issues and I am a full time student. As if life is not insane enough...we are attempting to purchase our first home. Why do I do this to myself? PPD? Do I have time for it? NO! But I have to go to the doctor--just so afraid as I have heard the stories. I already am experiencing the reactions. To top it off, I have this strange severe pain in my right breast (lower side) and am getting a sneaky suspicion that I may have mastitis. The pain is so great that I want no one to touch me but thought it may be due to baby kind of teething on me...But that doesn't make sense, does it? Thanks ladies for listening to my various rants.

Wife to DH who worshipsbow.gif me (code for tolerates me) (2001), mom of one DDsleepytime.gif (April 2002) and one DDfly-by-nursing1.gif who arrived forcefully (Sept 2009) Caretaker of Boogie the cat and fish/reef hobbyist. Just tryin' to maintain...banghead.gifteapot2.GIF In major need of...grouphug.gif

User Tag List