September 09 Babes & Mamas - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 837 Old 02-15-2010, 11:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: teething... it sucks! There are no two ways about it. I think it's harder when it happens to younger babies. We are fortunately through our first two teeth finally. It was a long couple of weeks there though.

What my son really, really liked and what seemed to soothe him was pieces of cucumber. I cut a thick slab of cucumber (too thick to bite through if you're a baby with just little tooth nubbies!) and core the middle and chuck the seeds. Then he can hold onto the resulting cucumber donut and chew on it.

Obviously something you want to keep your eye on your baby during, but if nothing else is working (it didn't for us... not Hyland's, not a cool rag, not a teething ring, nothing) you might give it a try!

Mother of two great little guys, G (9/28/09) and W (1/20/12)

#122 of 837 Old 02-16-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kismetbaby View Post

Fairly high needs babe here too octobermoon! I know there are much higher needs babes (cuz I've been around a few), but my guy is definitely not the super mellow type. I really think that he is very smart (I know, I'm his mom of course I think that!) and that he just gets bored and frustrated easily. He is not content to just lay someplace when there are things to see and things to do! He knows when we are doing something interesting and he wants to be in the middle of it! I don't think he was ever put down the first 8 weeks of his life (b/c he would scream when put down!). . .and he still prefers to be held/walked around. But he does love his exersaucer now so I get a little time with that to have my arms to myself.

Despite that fact that I have forgotten what its like to have time to myself, I also have found myself wanting another baby some days! How crazy is that! Right after he was born I would see a pregnant lady and think "thank god I'm no longer pregnant", now I see one and think "awwww, wasn't that a special time!" ????? Ummm, actually I was so uncomfortable!!! But the mom-brain somehow has me convinced I want to do it again! But anyway, DH and I agreed to wait till at least Noam's first b-day to even talk about trying to get pregnant again.

Noam has a pretty bad cold himself. . .very sneezy, snotty, coughy. he isn't a happy camper today better run . . .
doesn't having a cold suck? so sad for them and very stressful for mama. luckily ours only lasted about a week. hope Noam's is better already.

as far as high needs, it's weird because Amiel started off a very easy baby IMO it seems that he has become high needs around his fourth month. i was researching on here and found that the fourth month can be super tough for many babies and moms, so i guess it could be that still since he just turned five mos. however i keep going over the Dr. Sears 12 features of a HNs baby and he pretty much has been gradually building a stronger and stronger case for himself. the only one he doesn't have is number 12 which is stranger anxiety but we have only left him once for about 1.5 hours so this test in still inconclusive. anyway, i would love to have a thread for high needs b/c it is SO HARD. Amiel doesn't full on cry all the time but he complains and fusses if he is set down for even 10 minutes, he has to be entertained constantly and it must be new things like going out to museums and being flown around like an airplane all day! i'm serious, he is happy until we are sitting or at one place for too long. he barely naps during the day either and is a light sleeper at night, etc....all the classic Dr. Sear's symptoms. i feel ill equipped to handle him by myself day in and day out. i hate that i can't fulfill all his needs. we all have been much happier on vacation so far with two people taking care of him. maybe once he can sit up by himself he'll be happier. i also prolly should eliminate some things from my diet but it's so hard to do that. i haven't been eating very well at all since becoming a mama. i notice diary and tomatoes bother him and he'll spit up. i suspect wheat may also irritate him as it does me. anyway...i'm rambling, i miss coming on here, i need the support but i really haven't enough time. ugh..
but i wouldn't trade him for the WORLD.

sorry my posts don't make much sense.
#123 of 837 Old 02-16-2010, 01:47 PM

Now I have the cold! Wah. Weird that Noam gave me the cold instead of the other way around. Oh well. He seems better already after two days of misery, so hopefully mine will be short-lived also.

Octobermoon--don't worry, your posts do make sense! I can totally keep up with the mom-brain thing! And I get ya. . .I feel like Noam gets bored so easily too. He loves being out in the stroller, but only if we keep moving. He doesn't want to look at one thing for too long. He is also a light sleeper, generally he naps maybe a total of 3-4 hours a day and most of this is only if I nap/lay with him. He does sleep for 10 hours at night (not without night feedings of course), but again only if I'm sleeping with him. He almost never just sleeps alone. And I get maybe 15min chunks during the day with the exersaucer, the play mat or the swing. Yes, its very draining! Very tough, but wouldn't change him for the world! He is happy when DH and I are just laying in bed with him talking to him, playing with him. He wants full attention and he knows it if we are distracted by a computer or a book. I'm sure this is true of a lot of our babes though, now that they are really waking up to the world.

Anyway, just wanted to send some hugs. I know how hard it can be. I feel so attached and in love with my little one, but at the same time feel pretty cut-off from my old life and my support systems since its hard to even find time to make phone calls.

For what its worth, I've been told that high needs babes are easy teenagers!

P.S. about the food intolerances. . .if you suspect them, I would go with your mommy instinct. I know how hard it can be (we have given up dairy and may need to eliminate more), but it could really be worth it. Your LO may become less high needs if you eliminate the foods that bother him. Just commit to one month and see what happens!

photosmile2.gif Me= crunchy mama to one rambunctious toddler, born on October 1, 2009. And one sweet little baby born January 19, 2012. heartbeat.gif

#124 of 837 Old 02-16-2010, 02:47 PM

It's been such a joy to read this thread! I'm really feeling for those of you who are facing some difficulties, but for the most part I am so happy to hear that everyone's babes are doing well. It's really an eye opener, too, to see how INCREDIBLY different our experiences and feelings are! Sometimes it's just too easy to get "lost" in the bubble of my own world and to forget that there are other mamas out there thinking the things I think, tackling the issues I am, as well as facing struggles I couldn't even imagine...

Anyhow, I think Ezra is officially the fattest baby of the DDC so far, a title which I am sure you're all envious over.... NOT! Jeez, my aching back... Thank you Ergo! I'd be lost without you....

At his 4 month well-baby visit (two days early) he was 20 pounds, 5 ounces and 28 1/2 inches long. He follows a curve, though it's his OWN curve... one that rests a good 1/4 inch above the 100th percentile on the doctor's chart. :

He nurses like a champ and seems more than ready for solids, but I am trying to hold out a few more weeks to give his little system a chance to "ripen." He will be 5 months old in a couple of days, and I can only assume he is well over 22 pounds now. I had to buy a new car seat for him, as he's outgrown his infant seat, which is a bummer in this Chicago climate right now, but I sure don't miss lugging him around in it! Seriously, I think I am paying my chiropractor's mortgage.

Aside from being fat... (I say that with great love!), he is a VERY happy baby. Oh SO mellow and content. He sleeps well, though he's done some reverse cycling and is eating a few times during the night again. It's no big deal for me to roll over and pop a boob in his mouth, though, so I'm not fretting. At the dinner table, it is painfully obvious that he wants to get his hands onto some food other than BM, so I've given him a few tastes of banana in his mesh feeding bag, which sends him over the moon with joy. I will try some other things with a spoon in a few weeks.

He is super strong, and LOVES to jump and bounce. He also pushes himself up onto all fours and can sit for several seconds unassisted. Though he's yet to roll over completely by himself. (Hey, if you had several tires around your middle, you'd have trouble, too!) No doubt that, like my daughter, he will slim down once he starts walking, though. If I can figure it out, I will share a video file I had my husband make for me to post on my Facebook page. He jumps with such wild abandon I actually was afraid of brain damage there for awhile! He talks and laughs a ton and loves his 6 year old sister *almost* as much as she loves him, which fills my heart with a feeling I don't even know how to describe.

As for wanting another... I vascillate between yes and no, though "no" is the only answer you'd hear from my husband! We put 6 years between our kids because it took me a long time to want another one after the birth experience I had with our first, but since Ezra's experience was so damned incredible, I sort of long to go back there again...

Well, I've rambled enough. I will psot a picture when I get to a computer that has some, but I am using our daughter's, which does not.

Again, so glad to hear updates from you all.

Ali - Wife to Steve and mom to Zoe - age 7, and Ezra - 17 months (9/2009)
#125 of 837 Old 02-16-2010, 03:38 PM

I totally get the baby craving. I'm having it. In part though I think mine is fueled by the desire to try BF again - to correct the mistakes I made this time around, and hopefully to do it soon enough that this one could benefit from it. I know that at this point I can never repair the damage done with this baby, but there's a part of me that really wants to prove that my body really can do it - with the right support. I've had to accept the fact that I will never make more than dribbles at this point for A, as difficult as that is. And that it looks like we're not going to be able to keep him on BM past 6 months - although we've been lucky enough to keep him on it this long.

A is up to about 15 pounds, so he's doubled his lowest, but not his birth weight yet. I'm thinking about canceling his 5 month appt, since I just got the bill for his 3 month. The doctor kept me waiting a full 2 hours, spent 10 minutes with us and I got billed $120 (which his insurance doesn't cover, so it's out of pocket).

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#126 of 837 Old 02-16-2010, 07:46 PM

thanks kismet, maybe i am a totally unrealistic mama. i mean i knew it'd be hard but dag, i even cringe at admitting this because i love my baby immensely and i don't want to rush him to grow up or fail to cherish these times of him being a baby. i guess when i imagined being a mom i was naive or something! lol... i need a personal assistant!
#127 of 837 Old 02-17-2010, 10:46 AM

It's so nice to read everyone's posts! I go back and forth with the baby craving. We have 4, and with the whole heart issue with James I think I am mental to even consider it! Though the dr. did say that the chance of this happening with a future pregnancy was very slim (like a one percent increase). My husband says we are DONE! We'll see, he has said that after each of our other ones, haha. He had a fantastic check up with the cardiologist a couple weeks ago! We go back in August and if he checks out well then we don't need to go back for a couple of years! He is truly our miracle baby!
I definitely consider him a high needs little guy (I think Dr. Sears must have had him in mind when he wrote his criteria, haha!) He rarely likes to be put down (whether on the floor or in his entertainer), I'm lucky if I can get 5-10 minutes before he starts getting upset! He is really not much of a napper either. He does pretty well at night though, of course he loves the free access to his "nummies"! He weighed 14 lbs 6 oz at his 4 month check up, 25 inches long. He has rolled over once from back to front and once from front to back. Since he hates floor time, he hasn't repeated it! He has also recently found his thumb, which is hilarious! You can hear him sucking on it across the house, it's like he's going to suck it right off his hand!
He has had a cold since Friday (his first one), and this has definitely been a generally unhappy time for us! I feel so bad for him, and his ability to nap is even worse now because he is so uncomfortable. Someday we will catch up on all this missed sleep.......

Happily married to my hero and SAHMama to 4 precious gifts from God
#128 of 837 Old 02-17-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kismetbaby View Post
For what its worth, I've been told that high needs babes are easy teenagers!
gosh I hope so! My 7 yr old DD was a high needs baby and still is a high needs kid most days. I hope it gets easier once she's a teenager. I don't see it happening but I do hope so.

Proud *single* mom to 3 amazing kiddos
#129 of 837 Old 02-17-2010, 06:02 PM

My little girl is doing well. My first was high needs, so this little girl is easy to me. She does her fair share of fussing, but I am used to a LO who needed constant movement, and this little girl is happy to just be held and will even let me put her down for 10 minutes.

She's teething right now, but I don't think any teeth are actually close to cutting through. I have been putting off updating here because I keep thinking I don't have time to type everything I want to type, but I figure better to type half of it than none. I am homeschooling my 5.5 yo, so that is keeping me very busy.

Nursing is going well, but unswaddling is not going as well as I wish it would. Well, she is fussing now, so I guess my 10 minutes is up.

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#130 of 837 Old 02-17-2010, 06:18 PM

Looks like a teething ring bought me a few more minutes to say NO WAY am I craving another baby. LOL! But we went through too much to get this LO. 3 miscarriages, fertility treatments and a very long pregnancy of being terrified half of the time. I actually can't imagine ever wanting another one. However, I was just thinking about how I miss holding my tiny baby in my arms. She is getting so big. She was 12 lb, 11 oz at her 4 month visit. Smaller than my older one at that age, but still getting so big. I am loving all the giggles now, though and the way she lights up when she sees her big sister.

I was wondering if any of the other moms who have had losses worry more about this baby. Thank God she has not had a cold yet. I don't know if you are ever ready to deal with that, but I can say I'm not righ tnow.

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#131 of 837 Old 02-17-2010, 10:39 PM

wow! I miss all of you so much

I am also of the camp thatI keep putting off writing, b/c I am not sure I'll get in all I want to write. I'll hopefully be able to have more time tomorrow.

Momma to Samuel Wyatt 8/15/09 and our new addition Jack 9/25/11!   mdcblog5.gif  winner.jpgcd.gif

#132 of 837 Old 02-18-2010, 12:47 AM

just wanted to drop a note to say hi! More later!!!

Julia(34), Mommy to: Maddie(10), Grace(6), Charlotte (3) and our only Little Man (due 2/23). 

It's a crazy life!

#133 of 837 Old 02-19-2010, 04:19 AM

Cristeen.... ah, I have the same "issues" with BF. Now that I know so much more (WAY after the fact) wishing I could re-write the wrongs. But... I know my lil man is a healthy lil man regardless of my limited supply in the beginning, and his now survival on formula. No one tells you these things! Who knew that we'd come up against such issues in the beginning and our natural sides just wouldn't... compensate. It's done a wonder for the 'soap-boxes' I had while pregnant, the things I just Wouldn't do. Hah!

Another baby, I dunno about that one. I'm nearing 34. He's my first, my everything. I loved being pregnant. He's been an awesome baby. I'm able to WAH so I'm totally devoted to him. I'm selfishly scared of what #2 would be. But, I know how important having a sibling could be for HIM. Where do you find that line? Is it silly that I look at it that rationally right now? I'm not feeling any urge in my body to create more... just for his psyche. Weird. 34 aint so old... I've a few years to ponder on it. :-)

Ooh... he's sitting up!!! Not just for a few seconds. Real, in fact sitting up. After 10 minutes, I've stopped counting. He can't roll over (on purpose), but he can sit up and play with a toy, and not just pancaked sitting either. Good strong back sitting. WOW!!

woohoo I'm a mommy! Lil man born 9-12-09
#134 of 837 Old 02-19-2010, 09:15 AM

Hi girls!

I think we're growth spurting here...he's fussy during the day for my husband, and I'm only pumping 7-8 oz a day more than he drinks (I was getting twice that).

Still no "real" rolling, he does it accidentally, especially if on the soft surface of the bed. He doesn't get put down much, we have hard wood floors, two big dogs (one great dane that has no clue how big she is), and of course the two older boys...so the ground isn't exactly safe! LOL!

Sleep is hit or miss. He has STTN a few times, up to 8 hours even, but it's very sporadic. He'll usually sleep for 3-4 hours, then every 2 hours after that. Sometimes he sleeps well in his bed next to mine, sometimes he decides he has to be in bed with me. I haven't found any pattern to figure out why he's like this...

Reflux seems to be easing! It was right about this age that it eased for Ian, too, although it continued much longer with Connor.

Oops, got to go!

Mommy to BigBoy Ian (3-17-05) ; LittleBoy Connor (3-3-07) (DiGeorge/VCFS):; BabyBoy Gavin (10-3-09) x3 AngelBaby (1-7-06)
#135 of 837 Old 02-19-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyZoeJane View Post
Anyhow, I think Ezra is officially the fattest baby of the DDC so far, a title which I am sure you're all envious over.... NOT! Jeez, my aching back... Thank you Ergo! I'd be lost without you....

At his 4 month well-baby visit (two days early) he was 20 pounds, 5 ounces and 28 1/2 inches long. He follows a curve, though it's his OWN curve... one that rests a good 1/4 inch above the 100th percentile on the doctor's chart. :

He nurses like a champ and seems more than ready for solids, but I am trying to hold out a few more weeks to give his little system a chance to "ripen." He will be 5 months old in a couple of days, and I can only assume he is well over 22 pounds now. I had to buy a new car seat for him, as he's outgrown his infant seat, which is a bummer in this Chicago climate right now, but I sure don't miss lugging him around in it! Seriously, I think I am paying my chiropractor's mortgage.
Bwahaha. I feel for you, I do. Grey was 20lbs 13oz and about 28 inches at his 4 month checkup. He's really huge, too.

We're lucky to have a carseat that goes up to 30 lbs already... but... he's only got about 2-4 inches to go and he's going to be too tall for it. Agh!

I definitely want another baby eventually. At the same time, I'm terrified of getting pregnant again really quickly. (My grandmother, who exclusively breastfed, had her first three sons in less than three years. Oy.) We're thinking of starting TTC around the time that our son's a year old, but I guess we'll wait and see.

#136 of 837 Old 02-19-2010, 03:57 PM

hi there,
Iva is teething now too. She has started yelling lately....not fully crying...just letting me know she's not happy. I can see two little bumps.
She's really interested in watching us eat and moves her mouth. She'll be 6 mos. old on March 8th. Amazing. Time keeps flowing on.
She giggles at her sister the most. I love to hear her laugh.

Married Mama to two girls, A (4/06) and I (9/09).

#137 of 837 Old 02-19-2010, 05:05 PM

haven't read through all the replies and don't know if this has been covered...forgive me if it has but i was wondering when you'll start or if anyone has started solids. our LO is 5 mos and dying to eat. he's been watching us for a couple of months already and chews as he watches! i was going to wait till 9 mos and then i changed my mind to 6 mos. IDK part of me hates to lose some of the breastfeeding relationship and would like to wait and then there is DH who insists on giving him tastes of things i don't want him too already!
#138 of 837 Old 02-19-2010, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by octobermoon View Post
haven't read through all the replies and don't know if this has been covered...forgive me if it has but i was wondering when you'll start or if anyone has started solids. our LO is 5 mos and dying to eat. he's been watching us for a couple of months already and chews as he watches! i was going to wait till 9 mos and then i changed my mind to 6 mos. IDK part of me hates to lose some of the breastfeeding relationship and would like to wait and then there is DH who insists on giving him tastes of things i don't want him too already!
I think a few of us mama's have. Not me though--my LO is one of the youngest of our DDC. Like you I wanted to wait as long as possible, now I plan to wait till 6m. DS shows extreme interest in us eating though and DH is dying to start giving him tastes of things. We have given him water off of a spoon and he swallows well (and finds this completely entertaining!), but he doesn't sit up yet and I am loath the disturb the "virgin gut" of EBM.

We will definitely be avoiding dairy and soy till he is past 12 months as he's already shown some sensitivity (although the verdict is still out on whether early solids have anything to do with food allergies, but I'd rather be on the safe side). And we are vegetarian. . .and I don't think grain should be a first food. . .so I plan to start with banana, sweet potato, applesauce and a green veg (one at a time of course) and go from there.

I have a feeling he's going to be an eater though! (following after mama's heart ) I get the sense that he will be so much happier when he can 1) eat 2) move around and 3) tell us what he wants! I get the distinct sense that right now he has realized all that he is missing and is spending all day thinking "come on let me at it, what's wrong with you people?"

photosmile2.gif Me= crunchy mama to one rambunctious toddler, born on October 1, 2009. And one sweet little baby born January 19, 2012. heartbeat.gif

#139 of 837 Old 02-19-2010, 08:36 PM

Just wanted to let you mamas know that I have finally posted my birth story here on MDC. I know that none of us have the time anymore (reading birth stories is an anxious pregnant ladies game and its a long one!), but just in case anyone was interested, here it is:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...8#post15091198

I was blessed to have the most awesome, empowering, complication-free, HB. The one of my dreams actually--well, except for all the pain of back labor. My BFing journey turned out to be the hard one. . .and all that time I was pregnant I worried about labor and assumed BFing would be "naturally easy". Go figure. But that's another story. . .

#140 of 837 Old 02-20-2010, 12:23 AM

We let Grey kind of play with a couple of foods. He'll chew on and suck on basically anything we let him have, but he doesn't seem to swallow yet.

I wouldn't even necessarily let him play with foods like we have been except that he grabs my food constantly. Constantly. In terms of interest, he is 100% there with food.

At this point I'm not at all interested in, say, buying him jars of food and feeding him pureed stuff or anything! He is definitely still getting enough nutrition from BFing.

My sister kind of got peer pressured into feeding her son (who is three weeks older) solids earlier and she is trying to do the same thing to me. She told me that if I don't start him on solids by 6 months, he'll more or less starve to death. To my credit, I didn't laugh out loud.

#141 of 837 Old 02-20-2010, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldandsleepy View Post
She told me that if I don't start him on solids by 6 months, he'll more or less starve to death. To my credit, I didn't laugh out loud.
Bawwhhhaaaahhhahhaaaaa!

Momma to Samuel Wyatt 8/15/09 and our new addition Jack 9/25/11!   mdcblog5.gif  winner.jpgcd.gif

#142 of 837 Old 02-20-2010, 09:21 PM

No solids here either. Although I let him suck on a baby carrot the other day (while I held onto it). Since he doesn't have any teeth yet, all he could do was slime it. He is fascinated by food, but he can't even sit up yet, so there's no way I'm comfortable giving him solids yet.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

#143 of 837 Old 02-21-2010, 12:09 AM

I am still working on getting caught up with all you mamas, only read up to page four...tomorrow I will read the rest, but while I have 2 hands, I will give my update

So lets see, today Sophia was 5 months. I am still amazed at how much I love her. I am not an overly emotional or sappy person, I mentioned this when I was pregnant. And while preg I was concerned that I might not bond or feel an overwhelming love and connection with my child. But no worries! I am not broken, my mommie emotions are intact I go out in public and people must think I am nuts, I am constantly kissing and talking to her as well as listening, saying things like "oh really! Tell me more, that is a great story."

It is interesting reading everyones update. My family is always commenting on how large Sophia is, how smart Sophia is, and how she shouldn't be doing the things she is. I know she is amazing, but after reading others postings...she seems to be inline with the pack. And that is ok with me!

She is 17lbs (92%) and 26in(89%). I say she is proportionately huge. lol
She rolls and scoots backwards, she is trying so hard to crawl. Teething is no fun and I want to scream...for her. I finally gave in and resorted to tylenol and baby oragel. I tried and still use the homeopathic as well as ice and it just doesn't seem to be enough. I swear she is working a molar through, I can feel a bump there but can't see anything. Nights are terrible right now. I am exhausted. We cosleep, and really I can't see sleeping better with her in another room. She wakes up with gas pains during the night as well as to feed several times a night. She goes to bed at 9 and up about 7...I am hurting for some sleep right now! Last night was rough...we were up for two hours in the middle of the night and now I am feeling delerious...on that note, I am off to bed...post/read and tell more later.

Your babes are all so adorable!

Sophia ~ 9/21 learning how to be crunchy mama. Uh oh, I just went over the crunch edge! ECing!! Planned ~ maybe next time : :
#144 of 837 Old 02-21-2010, 03:42 AM

re: foods.... Rowan is 100% formula at this point (sigh), so we're a little different. And the ped recommended solids (veggies, not rice... why, I don't know) at 4months. I broke down and gave him some mashed bananas at about 4.5 months. He was intrigued. It didn't affect his poo, so I said OK. But OK has remained, a few spoonfuls of bananas every few days. I bought some Earth's Best jars but he's generally not interested. I try every few days, peas and carrots and sweet peas... all of which, really, he'd just rather suck on the spoon than really attempt to eat. I know he's more working on texture than going for nourishment. So, until he really NEEDS food, I'm not pressuring anything. We've waited atleast two poos between each new item, just to make sure nothing changes. So far, so good. But again, with most things, it's only two or three spoon-fulls. Except those fresh mashed bananas, which are pretty consistent now at 1/4 banana every morning with a little formula pressed in. It's not liquid, but close.

He's really working hand to mouth. This is nothing new, but seems like in the past week, it's more defined and he can really get things in there on the first try. So we've been experimenting with new items - like the sippy cup, a big chunk of dried papaya (which I've been using as a teether for a while... but now I give it TO HIM, instead of just putting it in his mouth). And he's getting it. Slowly. This, to me, is a bigger indicator than anything about where he is with ability to eat. If he can pick it up and put it in his mouth, then he's ready. Not that I'd give him a spoon with bananas on it and expect that.. but, you get me.

Btw, I DID give him a spoon to play with the other day, and he promptly tried to shove it down his throat. Might not have hurt him but it scared him pretty badly. So, no more playing with the spoon.

woohoo I'm a mommy! Lil man born 9-12-09
#145 of 837 Old 02-21-2010, 01:28 PM

Hey everyone! I can't believe how quickly time has flown and how big our babies are! Zoe is 5 months old today. How in the world is that even possible? The last time I weighed her, about 2 weeks ago, she was 17 pounds. Not sure on her length. We don't do WBV. She has her first cold, my DH was away on business (he finally got a job! woo hoo!) and brought home a cold. First my 3-year-old got it, he had a fever of 102 for one day and then got better, now he's just got some sniffles...then yesterday Zoe had a bit of a temperature, only to about 99.7 at the highest, and I had a bad sore throat. Today her temperature is down and my sore throat is gone but I'm really congested. I hope she doesn't get congested, it's so hard when they get like that and have trouble nursing.

Other than that...she has rolled over a couple of times but can't do it regularly yet. She can sit unsupported but only for a second or two. I tried putting her in the exersaucer for a few minutes and she loved it! I really don't like them using it til they are a bit bigger so I won't put her in there for a few more months yet really but she was so cute in there. She is teething like crazy, drooling and chomping, and nighttime sleep has gone out the window! And now she is crying so I have to go!

Mama to 2 sweet gorgeous children, a 4-year-old DS and a 1-year-old DD.
#146 of 837 Old 02-21-2010, 01:42 PM

I had planned to wait on solids as well. DD1 was FF and allergic to milk so we waited on solids until she was 8 months old. That was so convenient! Last night we were at a restaurant. DD2 was on my lap and just as the waitress put my food on the table baby swung around mouth wide open and tried to take a bit of my food. She looked so excited!
#147 of 837 Old 02-21-2010, 02:05 PM

oh yeah, I meant to say I am totally waiting on solids too. My 3-year-old didn't even have solids till after he was a year old (I offered around 6 months) but he didn't want them. I will wait to offer until at least 6 months with Zoe, possibly even longer. I don't really do spoonfeeding or think it's necessary, I like to go with baby-led solids.

Mama to 2 sweet gorgeous children, a 4-year-old DS and a 1-year-old DD.
#148 of 837 Old 02-21-2010, 02:49 PM

I've been keeping up with reading about all you mamas, but haven't yet had a chance to post another update. Ever since I started back to work, life has been a bit crazy, but it got crazier a few weeks ago. Last week DH messed up his back and has to go to physical therapy. And this week DH got a nasty sinus cold, and now Ethan has it too Somehow I don't have it yet, which is good, since I've been doing EVERYTHING for about 2 weeks. I don't know how we'd function if I was sick too.

Ethan weighed 19 lbs 3 oz at his 4 month ped appointment 2 weeks ago. He's 28" long and wearing 12 month clothes. Yikes! How did so many of us end up with such big babies?! He can sit unassisted for about 30 seconds sometimes, can stand for several minutes with me holding his hands for balance, and refuses to roll over. He still has a hard time going down for naps, but it's improved. Now I just pop him in the Beco, and he is usually sleeping within 10 minutes. Sometimes he'll still fuss a little, but it's not the all-out screaming anymore. Thank God.

I've also been having supply issues since I went back to work. I've tried nursing every hour to try to boost my supply, but Ethan just gets angry. And I just can't pump more than twice while I'm working. Fenugreek helped a bit, but not enough. We're supplementing with formula, which sucks, but it's better than crabby, starving baby. If I could just take a week off, i"m sure I could sort things out, but there's just no way. Oh well.

Gotta run, my mom just got here...

Married to my loving hubby, proud mama to Ethan thumbsuck.gif (9/09) and Rowyn (7/12)slinggirl.gif  and aspiring homesteader chicken3.gif

Missing my twins, Owen and Sophia, born too soon, July 2011 angel2.gifangel3.gif

#149 of 837 Old 02-21-2010, 09:49 PM

Ok, I FINALLY got the pictures loaded.

Here's my little guy in the t-shirt I made him:
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/i...een/Ashirt.jpg

And here's one of him in his new longies:
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/i...oLongies-1.jpg

#150 of 837 Old 02-22-2010, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
Ok, I FINALLY got the pictures loaded.

Here's my little guy in the t-shirt I made him:
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/i...een/Ashirt.jpg

And here's one of him in his new longies:
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/i...oLongies-1.jpg
What a cutie!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page