Mothering Forum banner

September 09 Babes & Mamas

33K views 836 replies 55 participants last post by  schoolmom07 
#1 ·
Not sure if one was already started - but would love for us to try and stay connected over here if possible as our DDC will be closing soon.

#2 ·
I haven't seen a thread yet. . .so let's get one going!

How's everybody doing?

We are dealing with some possible food intolerances. . .which sucks!
As if my BFing challenges in the beginning weren't bad enough, now it looks like I may have to give up lots of foods (so far I have eliminated dairy, but soy and wheat are next if he doesn't improve soon) to find out what is bothering my DS. He's generally pretty happy, so I have been reluctant to do this, but his poo's are not normal and add to that restless sleep, lots of spitting up and a pimple-like rash that comes and goes on his torso and I decided I had to do something.

As if cooking and eating weren't challenging enough with an attention hogging 3.5 month old!

On the + side, DS is a scrumptious, snuggly, smiley, joy to be with! He can now reliably chew/suck on his own fingers/fist which makes him ubber happy and he's getting pretty good at getting Sofie (or other toy) into his mouth too. We just started a KinderMusic class which is fun. The next big step will be mom getting out to a yoga class BY HERSELF (do I even remember how to be by myself?). . .

#4 ·
I'm here!

Emme is doing awesome. She's amazing and I adore having her around me all day! She'll be 4 months old in a week and a half - yikes! Freeze time, please!

We haven't been to the doc yet, but she's 14-15 pounds and 26.25 inches. Some of her 6 month sleepers are starting to scrunch her toes. She's not rolling yet, but seriously y'all, my kids don't roll! None of them really ever did until they were bigger and doing more. She's grabbing at everything and loves her jumparoo thingy and all of the toys on it. She's been such a great baby.

Here's a recent photo:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...IMG_1187-1.jpg

I hope everyone is well!

Laura

#5 ·
Hello there!
kismet-I understand having to change your diet and how challenging that is. I myself have multiple food intolerances. I hear you about wanting to go to yoga by yourself. I was just thinking this same thing the other day. I really miss yoga.

Zen-how's your little boy doing?
Laura- Emme is adorable! I love that photo.

We're doing well. Iva is smiling, reaching for toys and it seems she's teething already. She's been chewing a lot on toys/her hands, drooling a lot and watching us eat. We feel like we're eating in front of a friend without offering her anything! She watches the food go up to our mouth and moves her mouth too. I keep telling her that in another couple months we'll give her something.

#6 ·
hi RavenStar, wow, to the food thing. Shawn isn't really interested in food yet, although he did grab my spoon right out of my hand the other day! i remember Ellie was a lot more interested in food at 4 months. i wound up starting her on foods at 5 months. (and she turned out to be a great eater.) i think i will wait with Shawn until he is able to sit on his own AND shows an interest in foods, like you described.

glad to see this thread!

#7 ·
ElliesMomma,
I think I'll wait until Iva is sitting too. We also introduced solids to Mae at 5 months because she was doing all of those things. She made a "yuck" face and spit everything out until we finally got to bananas. She still loves bananas and eats one a day. She'll finally eat sweet potatoes at age 3. That's the first food we tried with her. Kids are funny.

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kismetbaby View Post
I haven't seen a thread yet. . .so let's get one going!

How's everybody doing?

We are dealing with some possible food intolerances. . .which sucks!
As if my BFing challenges in the beginning weren't bad enough, now it looks like I may have to give up lots of foods (so far I have eliminated dairy, but soy and wheat are next if he doesn't improve soon) to find out what is bothering my DS. He's generally pretty happy, so I have been reluctant to do this, but his poo's are not normal and add to that restless sleep, lots of spitting up and a pimple-like rash that comes and goes on his torso and I decided I had to do something.

As if cooking and eating weren't challenging enough with an attention hogging 3.5 month old!
Food intolerances suck! Whenever I eat almonds, Grey gets a rash and is unhappy... I don't eat dairy (by choice) and HIGHLY prefer almond milk over soy milk, so this is a great blow to me. So I feel for you!

We're doing great, though. It seems like most of the time when he's awake, he's happy. That's a great change for the better.
He also sleeps super regularly most nights and it's gotten really easy to get him to nap too. (Though he still won't nap if I'm not wearing him. Oh well.) Overall he's pretty delightful.

I think he's meeting milestones totally normally. He grabs. He shoves everything in his mouth. He LOVES to be standing up and just the past two weeks he's been standing up if you just hold on to his hands. (He really delights in that, as opposed to being held under the armpits-- if you hold his hands, then they're quite close to his mouth and he can just lean over and chomp them!) He still can't quite roll on purpose, though he does it accidentally quite often. He adores hands... his hands, my hands, anyone's hands. He's quite verbal and basically babbles from the moment he wakes up to the moment he falls asleep. He looooooves people and has become a bit of a flirt.

His growth has slowed down a lot... he only gained about 1.2 lbs over the past month. But he's still gotten quite huge. He's a little over 19 lbs and 27 inches or so long. We're solidly in 6-9 month clothing now, though his feet (?!) are getting too big for some of his 6-9 stuff already!

It seems like he really WANTS food... he's a pretty grabby guy overall but the only thing that he always grabs for other than my glasses and my hands is my food. :p There is no way I'm giving solids to a 3.5 month old so he's just going to have to hang in there for a few more months.

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by zenproof View Post
yay! hey girl!

ugh. im sorry to hear about the food intolerances. THAT SUCKS!!!

What is Kindermusic???
yah, the food thing is really frustrating right now--mostly b/c i don't yet know what is bothering him. i've been off dairy for a little over a week with no change although it can take up to two weeks to get the proteins out of your system apparently. but i am dreading the possibility of having to give up wheat and soy or more
but trying to take it one day at a time

Sorry total mom brain on the music class! We are ACTUALLY doing a program called Music Together-- they have a program geared for babies. I am taking it mostly b/c there was a class offered near our house and its a nice way to get out and meet other moms. My mom is a piano teacher and over the holidays she sat with Noam at the piano and he was delighted! He couldn't get enough of banging on the keys, so I decided I needed to do something musical with him. Anyway, its fun. . .singing, dancing, musical toys for the babes to play with.

Nice to hear what's up with everybody! My guy isn't interested in rolling either. He's a chub at 17lb at 3.5 months, so I'm not sure he could roll all that over even if he wanted to!

#10 ·
Hi everyone,
I'm new here. DS will be 4 mos. this week, he is our 4th. We go to the dr. on the 25th, I can't wait to see how much he weighs! He hasn't rolled yet, but our boys tend to do those things on the "later" end of the spectrum. He's definitely a needy little guy and prefers mama over anyone else (probably because he LOVES to eat ALL THE TIME! LOL) Not complaining for sure, because I love spending time with him!
Glad to find this group!

#11 ·
Hey all! Just started back at work on thursday of last week. Thursday was awesome, but friday I was a little sad to leave my little guy. We'll see how it goes. I had planned to SAHM, but I just couldn't hack it.

We'll see if I can handle being at work or not.

#12 ·
hey mammas - lets get some stat/updates/pics - i love seeing the little ones!!!

we are a few days shy of 4months. obans last dr. visit at around 3.5mos he was 14 1/2 pounds and almost 25inches long. he is not too interested in rolling, although he has both ways once or twice. i sware he'll walk before he crawls. he loves to stand up on our lap and we're working on him sitting unsupported. he doesn't LOVE the bumbo chair - and i think its his cloth dipes that make it awkward and uncomfortable on his belly. also his chub legs get stuck. he's constantly grabbing my hair OUCH - and its all i can do not to want to hack it all off!!

here he is...

im in lurve.

#13 ·
hi ladies. i was on the oct. board but lurked sept. because i knew i'd go early.

millie turned 4 mos yesterday. it's nice to see she's doing things typical for a sept baby. she was 35 wks, 6lbs 7.9 oz and 19 1/2". she's about 14 1/2 lbs and 24 1/2" now. she hates tummy time and was having some neck/head control issues but they seem better now.

s for those of you struggling with food intolerances!!!

here's millie in her saucer toy:
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...0/HPIM2420.jpg

#15 ·
Our babes are so cute!!! I love this chubby stage before they start to move on their own!

I don't have exact stats. . .we don't have our 4 month visit planned yet b/c we moved and I need to find a new Ped. But according to our home weighs and measures Noam is about 17lbs (yep he's a big'un) and 25-26 inches.

Here he is just last week: http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/w...baby/naked.jpg

#18 ·
If it's OK with everyone, I'd like to still post in this group even though Caleb ended up with an August birthday.

I just realized I never posted my Christmas photo, which was inspired by the photos on the DDC! Here it is, Hanna jammies and all!

I also started a thread on the DDC forum about TEETH. Sheesh, I knew Caleb was teething, but I had no idea they'd actually show up so soon -- the day after he turned 4 months old! He's a roly poly, at around 19 pounds and 25.5 inches long. His Hanna jammies are size 80! They are a little long, but he needs that size just for his torso. He's starting to roll onto his belly and doesn't seem to mind it. Toby hated his belly! He's starting to grab and hold things, too. We just got through his second cold, and this one was a doozy. Cough, sore throat, vomiting. Ugh. I don't know if there's any sound more heartbreaking than the cry of a babe with no voice! My heart was bleeding for him... but we've both recovered.

He's becoming a happy guy who is content to play by himself for a few minutes at a time. I don't consider him high-needs anymore. Phew. He talks like crazy!! I don't remember Toby being this vocal. It's adorable!

#19 ·
Hi all!

Glad to hear everyone's babes are doing well. Ethan is growing like crazy, but seems to have slowed down a bit finally. Our bathroom scale puts him at about 19 lbs, and he can wear some 12 month clothes without them being too big (yikes!). We're still having going-to-sleep issues at naptime and bedtime, but he's only gotten up one time per night for the past two. Thank God. He started getting up 2 (or 3 or more) times per night when I went back to work. I think we finally figured out how much milk he needs when I'm gone, so he's not needing to reverse cycle on me anymore. Which is great, since I was TIRED!

Ethan seems like he's pretty laid-back on milestones. He grabs toys (or hands) and crams them into his mouth, and he definitely prefers sitting to laying down. He loves to sit and can sometimes balance himself for a few seconds. But if you lay him on his tummy, he just does a "superman" and doesn't try to push up or anything. Poor guy just bonks his head against the floor or his crib!!

I'll try to post a pic soon... All of mine are on Facebook, but I don't have "everybody" allowed to see them.

#20 ·
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4048/4279556105_25967b7c48.jpg[/image]
[/URL]
Here are my girls in the jammies they got for xmas.

Charlotte is doing much better now. The 3 weeks following xmas were pretty ugly around here, but I feel like we're finally coming out of it. No more swaddling, and she's going down for naps in her bed by herself with little to no crying. Most of the time she talks herself to sleep - so sweet. She was down to only waking one timebetwen 1 and 6am for the night, and now she's back to two times, who knows? But, she goes down around 7pm, wakes twice - once around 1am and once around 5am. Then sleeps until around 7am. She's only up for a matter of 10 minutes, MAYBE! It's totally doable.

She's starting to sit (especially on the bed), is getting really good at tummy time - will stay there for 20/30 minutes sometimes! Loves the saucer and hanging out in her high chair (she sits there whenever we're in the kitchen or dining room). Is grabbing things, loves her feet, and is constanty drooling and chewing/sucking on her hands. If I didn't know any better I'd say she's teething, but I'd be SHOCKED. My kids usually got nothing until they are 1 ish.

Like the others, she practically NEVER cries anymore. It's so nice to have this happy healthy chubby baby around the house. I love it. She was nearly 14lbs at her 4 month, and has been a total piggy since then, so I have no idea how much she is now, at 5 months - but she's fitting nicely in 3/6m stuff. Nothing is too big or too small.

#21 ·
we're 4 months old here but i'm considering fudging her birthdate so we can sign up for a baby swim class. i'd take her to the pool myself but i'm not quite sure how to "do" it safely. i assume babies instinctively know what to do in water and to hold their breath and all but i don't really want to find out for myself, yk?

finally got her to drink from a bottle, had been trying almost everyday for a few months with expressed milk but it took an experiment with formula to get her to take it. it's great to have a back-up and don't have to worry about her starving if i leave her for a couple hours. and it really helped on the 8 hour road trip we took this weekend. she did great. it was for my grandmother's funeral though and it's too bad she never got to meet her. i looove this baby. she is so sweet.

been kind of down on the stay-at-home situation lately. have to think of someway to be "productive" for at least a few hours a week, i'm thinking.

have some newer pics that we took at cheesy roadside attractions this weekend but this is the latest that's already up:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/ph...6&id=504394227

#22 ·
howdy ladies. We're all good here. Rowan at 4mos just checked in at 17lbs (whoa baby!!) and 25 inches. Yeehaw! Finally he's lengthening out some of that belly chubb he's got :) He is all kinds of babbly, LOVES his bouncer, deals with tummy time much better recently. He actually enjoys being on one of those long, round pillows... although I'm not sure why... maybe because he can scoot himself over it, but then all he does is face-plant into the carpet!! But it brings a giggle, which are growing more and more. Not full on laughter yet, but definitely little giggles.

He must be teething. Because it's more than just everything in the mouth... it's a cry of pain and then hands immediately in the mouth. I don't see anything white in there, even under the gums, but he responds to the chamomilla and teething tablets, so.... Other than a mild hour every few days of crying out, he's just a happy guy. Getting better with daytime naps (despite his growing curiosity and social activities... so now he won't sleep with DSS is here for the weekend), and still waking up twice during the night, but only for a few minutes.

I'll get some new picts up soon. It's great to see everyone's beautiful babies!!!

#23 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by JordanKX View Post
He must be teething. Because it's more than just everything in the mouth... it's a cry of pain and then hands immediately in the mouth. I don't see anything white in there, even under the gums, but he responds to the chamomilla and teething tablets, so....
We are going through the exact same thing with the teething, my heart breaks for him when he cries in pain like that! What is/are chamomilla and teething tablets? I have never heard of them but would like to try them if they work well. We have used Tylenol a couple of times but I would rather use something more natural if possible.

#25 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4JMJ View Post
What is/are chamomilla and teething tablets?
The "teething tablets" are combo-homeopathic tablets they can chew up - you can get just about anywhere; toys r us, most grocery stores, definitely health food stores. Chamomilla is a homeopathic remedy that's included in the tablets, but sometimes it works better just alone. When Rowan's having a really rough time of it, I dissolve a few tablets in a spoonful of water and give to him separately from the tablets.

He also seems to be liking anything cold or frozen - including part of a washcloth (this is DP's thing, the unsanitary-ness... no matter how much laundry I do... of a frozen washcloth seems disgusting, but whatever, he likes it) or a cold pacifier. Serious Shrugs to the idea of giving up the paci at 3months now that he really seems to "need" it sometimes for pain. OK, that definitely sounded like momma cop-out. :) Enyhoo... Good luck!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.