what should he wear to a wedding? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 01-18-2010, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my SIL is getting married in May. My DS will be almost 7 months old. I have no idea what he should wear. It's not formal, so I'll be wearing a simple cocktail dress. Does he need a suit? gah, i hate the thought of having to buy him one because that will be the only time he wears it - what a waste of money! do you think i could get away with a little sweater vest outfit? HELP!

rebecca: mama to Jack Oct09 born at home! - BF, Co-sleeping, cloth diapering, child-led solids; writer, book designer and teen mentor; dh 10+yrs (who gets to work at home!) and two cats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 01-18-2010, 06:24 PM

I'll be bringing our little one to a wedding in May as well - May 1st - and he'll only be a couple of months old at the time. Depending on the weather as the wedding is in Kansas City, I'll be dressing him in pants (probably khaki), a dressy onesie (w/ a collar), and a lightweight jacket.

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
#3 of 14 Old 01-18-2010, 06:36 PM

My brother got married when DS was three months old. I dressed him in the cutest tuxedo onsie from etsy: http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php...ng_id=38432036

I paired it with pinstripe pants from another "suit" that was handed down to me, but seemed too formal for a little baby. The seller even customized the color of the bowtie for me to match his dad, who was in the wedding party. It was a hit, and he was comfy. Here's a pic:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13944566@N07/4064696064/

Happily married mom to DS (Aug 09) and two furry troublemakers.

#4 of 14 Old 01-18-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshynbaby View Post
My brother got married when DS was three months old. I dressed him in the cutest tuxedo onsie from etsy: http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php...ng_id=38432036

I paired it with pinstripe pants from another "suit" that was handed down to me, but seemed to formal for a little baby. The seller even customized the color of the bowtie for me to match his dad, who was in the wedding party. It was a hit, and he was comfy. Here's a pic:

This is WAY cute!! DH is in the wedding as well... hmmmmm.....

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
#5 of 14 Old 01-18-2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:
my brother got married when ds was three months old. I dressed him in the cutest tuxedo onsie from etsy: http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php...ng_id=38432036

i paired it with pinstripe pants from another "suit" that was handed down to me, but seemed too formal for a little baby. The seller even customized the color of the bowtie for me to match his dad, who was in the wedding party. It was a hit, and he was comfy. Here's a pic:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13944566@n07/4064696064/
so cute!
#6 of 14 Old 01-18-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:

I paired it with pinstripe pants from another "suit" that was handed down to me, but seemed too formal for a little baby. The seller even customized the color of the bowtie for me to match his dad, who was in the wedding party. It was a hit, and he was comfy. Here's a pic:

Adorable!!!!!

Belly Dancing, Tattooed, Veggy, Mum to DS 8/16/09 Married to a : Tattooed Geek at home with Dot and Dash fur babies : <-- pretend I am a rat
#7 of 14 Old 01-18-2010, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

O...M...G!
that is too cute!! that's a great option - so much more comfy than a suit or fussy little outfit.

rebecca: mama to Jack Oct09 born at home! - BF, Co-sleeping, cloth diapering, child-led solids; writer, book designer and teen mentor; dh 10+yrs (who gets to work at home!) and two cats.
#8 of 14 Old 01-18-2010, 09:20 PM

Honestly, I wouldn't bother buying a special outfit. A nice clean outfit will do. Especially because I would have to bring a spear outfit anyways.

Babies are babies, and I just don't care for dressing them up as adults.

Mom since Oct'09. Wife to a loving husband. Expecting a little bean in May'12

#9 of 14 Old 01-18-2010, 10:15 PM

that is such a cute onesie.
ds is 5mos old. i found a white button down shirt at Carter's and paired it with sweet grey linen pants for last weekend's dressy occasion. He was comfy and looked nice for pics.
#10 of 14 Old 01-21-2010, 05:49 PM

If I were you I would go with a nice pair of pants, even a dark denim, and a white shirt!

There is no need to go out and buy a suit that he might not even make it through the night in without getting dirty and not to mention be uncomfortable in!

Proud nursing SAHM to EC'd DD March 25/09! Wife to Truck Driving DH March 1/06!
#11 of 14 Old 01-21-2010, 06:28 PM

I wouldn't spend my money on a suit and I wouldn't do that to my Babe. I think they are so uncomfortable looking. I hate to dress up and I figure at 7 months old you shouldn't have too. The onsie is cute.

I would go with a somthing nice and clean and figure it was great! I don't think anyone would look at a little baby and say "oh he is underdressed" but that is just me...some might care.

Sophia ~ 9/21 learning how to be crunchy mama. Uh oh, I just went over the crunch edge! ECing!! Planned ~ maybe next time : :
#12 of 14 Old 01-21-2010, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
We took DD to a wedding when she was five months old ... we dressed her in a dress and tights and little mary jane shoes. And it was a total mistake! She would've been so much more comfortable in a sleeper, or soft cotton pants and a onesie, and screw the shoes. I learned my lesson. There was a little boy there who was seven months, and he was wearing comfy a comfy top and bottom, both organic cotton, super soft. We were jealous.
After about an hour, I changed her into the spare sleeper I had in the truck.
Much better!
Go for comfort and comfort alone.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#13 of 14 Old 01-21-2010, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belltree View Post
Babies are babies, and I just don't care for dressing them up as adults.
Quote:
Originally Posted by starling&diesel View Post
We took DD to a wedding when she was five months old ... we dressed her in a dress and tights and little mary jane shoes. And it was a total mistake! She would've been so much more comfortable in a sleeper, or soft cotton pants and a onesie, and screw the shoes. I learned my lesson. There was a little boy there who was seven months, and he was wearing comfy a comfy top and bottom, both organic cotton, super soft. We were jealous.
After about an hour, I changed her into the spare sleeper I had in the truck.
Much better!
Go for comfort and comfort alone.
That. MIL always used to buy DD these fancy, frilly, poufy dresses and then expect us to dress DD up in them and send MIL photos, or dress DD in them when we visited. (That woman seriously needs to buy herself a doll, but that is another point.) Some people just do not understand that babies are not just miniature adults. They have a totally different lifestyle, and therefore different needs for their clothes. At 7 months old, DD and DS were always either: sleeping, nursing, in our arms, in a sling, in a carseat, or in a stroller. Maybe sometimes propped up on a boppy for playtime. But mostly, in a sling or arms. Some 7 mo's could add crawling or scooting to that list. How is a dress or suit possibly comfortable for any of that???? Grown-up clothes just bunch up or ride up when you can't yet walk. Our kids spent all their time in onesies or sleepers, until they were walking.
Anything comfortable and clean would be fine.
That said, that tuxedo onesie sure is cute!! Formal, yet comfortable! The price isn't bad, either.
Hope you all have fun at the wedding!

Jen
#14 of 14 Old 01-23-2010, 01:52 PM

The tuxedo onesie is adorable, and looks very comfy. I think a sweater vest outfit is also fine, especially if you already have one. We took our DS to a wedding when he was about 10 months old and that's what he wore (it was a soft, comfy one too).

Amy, wife to Paul 5/20/01, SAHM to Daniel 5/23/07, Claire 7/15/09, and Elaine 9/4/12

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page